Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
I ran into a problem while installing new graphics on a bike. This was all done inside at room temp. I removed the old graphics with a heat gun and a little effort and cleaned all the surfaces with rubbing alcohol. One panel at a time. I applied a window cleaner to allow me to position the graphics. I squeegeed the moisture and air pockets from center out and used a heat gun to help form all the corners, edges, etc.. All the pieces came out looking really good. No wrinkles, creases, bubbles , etc. It looked real professional. I came back several days and the tank had small bubbles and air pockets all over. I kept working it and removed most of the bubbles (had to pin prick most of them). They keep coming back and it definately lacks a professional look (cheezy).

Any clues as to why only the gas tank did this and not the other pieces? Any suggestions about what I did wrong? I have another graphic to replace it but I not doing anything until I figure out what happened and how to prevent the gripper look. It was suppose to look like that! Right! :coocoo:

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
There are holes that are suppose to be there to grip with your knees. It just has lost of bubbles to go along with the holes now.

Last edited:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Mudd, this sounds nuts, but here oes. Does your tank have one of those little valves on it to let out the gasoline vapor? If so, the fumes have no choice but to try and go through the sides of the tank. They cannot exit out o fthe vent hose. I removed my valve and graphics last much longer. This is a real problem with graphics and an empty tank.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
The graphics are on my boys TTR125 and there is a vented cap. I need to check the vent to make sure it is not clogged. It is worth a thought. The bike is inside the house in a converted garage. My bike is in there too and you cannot smell gas in the room. I was thinking why only the gas tank and I do know that some plastic (polymers) can breath moisture to a very small degree (gas?). Think about freezer burn when you leave meat in a plastic bag too long in the freezer. I do not know if gas molecules are smaller than water molecules and can permenate throught the tanks plastic.

If that is the case, why don't all bike's tank graphics do this within a couple days.

I need some input from someone with a chemical engineering degree. I am mostly blowing smoke thinking.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Don't get in a tizzy over this, oldguy is right. Tanks graphics are not all created equal. They should have holes in them. Gasoline does permeate and evap out the plastic. I've seen people try to paint plastic gas tanks and have the paint bubble in places as the vapors looked for a weak spot to escape. This is a pretty widely accepted thing. I work in the marine world and we know that bilges in boat get gasoline vapors trapped in them, ever so slightly, not from leaks but from vapors permeating the plastic tanks. We use blowers and other means to vent it. Anyway, good luck.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Avoid the ol' gas tank graphics problem, get a CR or KX :p

L

LukeRips

When you use window cleaner, do you use Windex or something like that? I didn't know that trick, I always seem to have some bubbles. Do you spray the plastic first, then put the graphics on?

souphmars

Mar 8, 2004
yea explain the windex- i understand the purpose- i just installed new graphics on a rm250 and it was hard and took forever- it looks nice for my first time, i was very pleased

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
The windex If sprayed lightly (I usually also wipe it around with CLEAN fingers on the glue of the graphic will allow you to slip it into place a bit easier. This is not by any means a way to correct sloppy installation but will make correcting minor problems easier right away. If you use it be sure to squegge as much out and then allow a day or 2 (in the sun usually) for the rest to evaporate out and set the graphic in place.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
It's best to drain the tank completely and let it dry out for several days.
Clean the outside of the tank with soap and water then dry completely.
You can then spray the outside of the tank with a petroleum safe clear coat paint. This will help to seal the plastic.
Once the paint is completely dry (at least 24 hours) spray the tank down liberally with Windex and apply the graphics.
This will give you your best shot at pro looking graphics.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
Thanks for all the help. It is all making a little more sense Old Guy, Jaybird, & Fortyplus. I have put graphics on other things before (windex trick) but never on a gas tank. I did not consider gas permenating through the plastic tank. I sent an email to the graphics company so I will be curious to see their response. There was no imformation on the instructions about gas tank concerns. I think I will attempt Jaybirds recommendations next.

Okiewan, you get a Blue machine if you want to keep up! Yea red and green machines are good lookers but looks are not everything.

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
Top Bottom