Sep 1, 2005
what does it mean when gray oil comes out when you change your oil???? i have a 89 kx250 and changed the oil before i went to ride with golden spectro 10-40 non synthetic.... am i using the right oil? or whats going on and also alot of this gray oil is coming out of the kick starter vent hole....please help
thanks

bpositive

Jul 11, 2005
i start w. red honda trans-oil and it comes out grey and smells burnt-- that's normal
"alot of this gray oil is coming out of the kick starter vent hole"...- you have a bad seal-- take the kicker off and start tearing down you'll find the seal that's bad pretty easy --- i'm no pro mechanic so if anyone else has any other advise ---

miko

Nov 26, 2003
oregonsfinestkx25 said:
what does it mean when gray oil comes out when you change your oil????

I was told that aluminum clutch plates will result in grey oil.
My YZ250 always has grey oil. At first I was concerned but since I'm not losing any coolant I'm pretty sure it isn't because of a water leak. So I'm fine with the clutch plate explanation.

bruno.

Sep 1, 2005
i went to the dealer and they told me it could be the water pump gasket????is that the only place it can be im going to go replace that gasket tonite...i also changed the oil and drained a 1/2 quart through the engine to get all that nasty gray oil out...how long of riding does it take to turn the oil gray???? i dont want to mess up my bike...thanks

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
My oil is gray also and has always been gray on the way out, and considering it's a 97 CR250 and not a single problem with it, I think it's okay. I change my oil after every ride/weekend ride that is. If you race, you should change it after every moto. Your okay, but get that seal fixed.

miko

Nov 26, 2003
oregonsfinestkx25 said:
i went to the dealer and they told me it could be the water pump gasket????

There is a difference between gray and milky white. From all I've read, you'd get a milky white oil if you had a water leak into the engine. But gray by itself doesn't mean a leaking gasket.
Does your coolant level go down ?

miko.

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
your oil is being fouled by the aluminum clutch plates-you can replace them with steel ones and the problem will go away,you still should change oil often.when doing this replacement do the fiber plates as well and new springs so all is fresh.the steel plates weigh more giving the motor more rotating mass the result is the same as a small increase in flywheel weight-most look at this as a plus--you are not having cooling problems,your oil is not over full and coolant is not low, so dont screw with the pump you dont want real problems.

therock3920

Aug 17, 2005
aluminum turns oil grey id would think that it is normal at least that what the shop told me anyway cuz i was haveing the same problem with my bike it got me worried for a bit but its normal to have grey comming out gotta rember most bikes have a wet clutch system things will rub like ur clutchs so it might turn ur oil grey too

Sep 1, 2005
it turns golden oil gray after an hour of riding is that ok!!!! i took it for a cruz out of my neighbor hood and up and down the street for 20 mins and my coolant level was fine riding it real hard i was passin ricers on the street.......so is it not anything to worry about????? and i change my oil after every other or every ride

therock3920

Aug 17, 2005
i wish i was doin that but i think i blew my crank seal i have tranny oil up the rear goin in the cylinder so and my atac seal looked like it was leakin too.so i have to replace that.i heard u can get the crank seal off without crackin cases but i'am iffy on that one now after lookin at my book on it it shows the cases bein cracked to take it out and u have to have sum speacial tool that u cant get here in the states so i'am thinkin i'am going to have to take it in to have it replaced witch stinks lol

Sep 1, 2005
i went riding today for about 3 hours..........came back to base and let my bike cool down checked the rad. fluid and it was all full but the oil was gray is it straight?????..........went rinding again for another 3 hours and still fine but my oil is still gray...... should i switch to a red oil and see what happens i need ideas the last thing i want is to lose my crank
thanks

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
It doesn't matter what color oil you use. If you are running aluminum clutch plates, the oil is going to turn aluminum color. The aluminum from the plates is literally being sanded off by the fiber friction plates. This is 100% normal. Change the oil frequently or switch the aluminum clutch plates for steel. The steel plates keep the oil alot cleaner. Also, the transmission oil doesn't lube the crank. The premix oil lubes the lower end.

Top Bottom