Grease or antiseize on Swing-arm and Wheel pins?

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I just finished to clean and grease all the bearings in the linkage and swing-arm. Now my dilema is wether I should use grease or antiseize to coat the big pins holding the rear wheel and swing-arm. I do the maintenance every 6 months and have always used grease in the past but sometimes the rear wheel pin is still hard to remove. Would antiseize be better?

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
I've always used antiseize for both the swing arm and the rear axle with no problems. Grease seems to get pretty hard and nasty after a while...Good luck!

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I just put the linkage and everything back together on my GasGas, I used antiseeze to coat the linkage before I pressed in the new bearings, then coated them extremely well with waterproof grease. Same with the swingarm bearings. Antiseezed the swingarm bolt before putting it in. I didn't mess with the wheel bolt, it still had some grease on it and as many flats as I get riding down here it'll be off soon enough.

B

biglou

Isn't antiseize somewhat abrasive? Seems like it would wear on the bearings pretty heavily. Jaybird, any insight on this?

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
abraisiveness isn't an issue in the case I used it for, merely to keep the outer bearing race from gauling to the aluminum linkage. Perhaps when used in conjunction with the grease (80%-20% mix) the grease provides enough lubrication to keep it from being an issue. Anti-seeze isn't extremely abraisive to begin with though.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Over in the KDX forum you’ll routinely read posts from some new owner of a used KDX ,that has never had its swingarm and linkage apart before, begging for advice because the swingarm pivot and linkage bolts are frozen solid with rust and won’t come out. For the bolts & pins I think antisieze is better – but grease is a lot better than nothing. For the bearings, I’m one of those guys running 80% Grease + 20% antisieze. I have not had any problems with abrasive wear. I just did the yearly greasing of the swingarm bearings and they are all still fine

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Anti-seize (generic term applied) is a lubricant therefore it contains no abrasive material. However it does not have the load bearing properties that even cheap Wal-Mart brand axle grease has.

I'm also using an 80/20 mix of Spectro Water-Proof Grease and Permatex brand Anti-Seize in my bearings, swing-arm pivot bolts and axles.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Maybe you guys can help me...I'm taking off my rear wheel for the first time, and I found out that I bought my bike from an idiot. The axle is about 3.5 inches out, and it's stuck...I can rotate it...help...I want to kill the previous owner

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Thanks for the prompt response Senior KX Rider. I just got it removed and I ordered a new one from Service Honda (I was taking it out because I stripped the threads on the nut:debil: )

Top Bottom