firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
It was called "Tampering with Nature" and I forget the host's name (Last name was Stossel or Strossel or something). He presented a science- and technology-friendly view of things like genetic altered cows and corn, the possibility of genetically altered humans, global warming and the myth of destroying Earth. He confronted green activists on their "education" (read: brain-washing) of children that humans are destroying Earth and we're all going to die. He asked them if they had studied recent statistics on things like the recovery of wildlife on oilfields in Alaska and the "activists" weren't even aware that caribou populations have quintupled. He discussed evidence that blows global warming out of the water (1/2 a degree in 100 years isn't much of a warming trend). He spoke with farmers and scientists about genetically altered cows and crops--and pointed out that they're safer for us than traditional crossbreeding. He spoke with native Americans who cling to the old ways yet have running water in their modern homes, but say it's "Not their choice"--yet they still choose to live there rather than in teepees or long houses or whatever their tribes use. He visited a remote valley on Hawaii with no modern amenities where people have tried to "live at one with nature"--and with a very few exceptions, returned to running water, insulated walls and electricity.

Some of the rallies and things he showed were funny--people wearing silk choir robes and chanting outside a Starbucks. Others were scary--people in white biohazard suits chopping down and ripping up bioengineered crops in Britain and burning down research facilities. Heck, that happened last summer over in the Puget Sound area and in Portland. Some group burned down a branch location of UW where they were studying different breeds of trees.

I'm not trying to start a political threat here but most of us do agree that the green freaks are out of control. This show really blew most of their "statistics" and "proof" they prattle on about out of the water. I will write ABC and congratulate them on airing the show. Does anyone know the host's name? Has he done other shows? If we can get shows like Tampering with Nature to air on other channels, the balance might start to swing a little more towards even.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Great info... Did anyone get the name of it? I hope it comes on again
Kevin

Todd Turner

Dec 24, 2000
I like John Stossel's "Give me a break" segments on 20/20.

Last week I was visiting with a doctor buddy who goes to Alaska all the time. His brother-in-law lives up there. He told me that the area around the Valdez spill are healing nicely. It didn't affect the fishing (actually had a better catch a few years later) and it wasn't the disaster "they" feared.

I design cleaning chemicals for a living and we talked about the varying degrees of biodegradability of things. Crude oil, being unrefined, breaks down in a few years. Areas (in South Arkansas) where we rode bikes in the early 70's that had no vegetation back then and remnants of oil spills for the previous 50 years are now full of green plants and no oil. But, you won't see that on the news. Good news doesn't sell. Its boring.

Ironically, I design cleaning chemicals for the pulp and paper industry. Again, "they" say we are running out of trees. A forester buddy said there are more total board feet growing in the US today than in 1962. They have found the selective cut (rather than a scalping clear cut) has the greatest yield per acre over the long haul.

The individual land owners are free to butcher their land for quick gain. Most of the bigger companies are looking much farther down the road. But, we won't hear about that on the news because it would make big business sound like they care. No, selective cutting is just an issue of return on investment. And, it looks nice, too. Caring isn't necessarily in the equation though I know many of them do.

These "vocal" ones who are always barking about something seem to be lacking one thing... a real life. They should talk with us about how quickly a trail "heals" after a ride. Don't use it a season and it is hard to find a trail next year.

As for the chemicals, another irony is that everything I produce is safer than most of the stuff at Walmart- such as paint strippers, oven cleaners, etc. Rather than bark about this and that, I'm actually doing something about it from the inside. I'm designing safety and environmental responsibility. What are they doing other than making noise?

In the immortal words of John Stossel- Give me a break!

Here's to balanced journalism. May it ever flourish!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
John discussed the forest's recovery also. He said there is currently the SAME number of trees today as there was in 1920. A former member of Greenpeace John spoke with said that what the greenies do is subtract every tree cut down, but never add the new ones planted. Hmm, math at its finest. :think:

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
Originally posted by firecracker22
A former member of Greenpeace John spoke with said that what the greenies do is subtract every tree cut down, but never add the new ones planted. Hmm, math at its finest. :think:

Lots like selective memory, huh.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by firecracker22

I'm not trying to start a political threat here but most of us do agree that the green freaks are out of control. This show really blew most of their "statistics" and "proof" they prattle on about out of the water.

Firecracker.

That was a great show. A refreshing change. ;)

This and other false claims by these wacko's will eventually come back to bite them in the @$$. We have the same problem in California with endangered species. The enviro nuts claim that a species of plant or animal is endangered and get a large portion of public land closed down. Then, after studies are done, we find out that this particular species is not endangered at all. But, they still manage to shut the land down.

I remember when I first moved to Cali. It was many years ago and the smog was very bad. you could see it in the air, your lungs would burn and your eyes would water. The air is much cleaner now than it was then.

When our kids come home from school after being brain washed by these nut cases, we need to tell them the truth. The thing about global warming was interesting. One degree change in the weather in 100 years. Give me a break.

CO Dan

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2001
John Stossel has done a lot of excellent reporting in this general vein - check the FACTs.

He is somewhat Libertarian oriented, and so I enjoy his point of view very much.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Great topic and great comments guys! I heard a scientist being interviewed on the radio (can't remember his name) that said that they used the measurment of gamma rays(?) to judge if the earth is getting any warmer, and in over 50 yrs. of research the amount going out (away from the earth) was always the same as what came in.
He also said (like the counting trees thing) that the greenies always talk about the melting ice-caps, but never tell us about all the new ones that are continually forming, and this melting and freezing of the polar caps is a normal cycle. He also mentioned how all of the many scientists that don't believe in global warming, and which also outnumber the alarmist scientists, are ignored by the (L iberal) media.
My kids when they were younger used to come home spouting all the greenie drivel they had learned at school, so at a very early age I taught them how to explore both sides of an issue. My oldest (2 yrs. into college) is so good at this now that she'll catch me at a bad argument sometimes and force me to rethink my statements! :)
If we can teach our children to think for themselves I think we have hope yet!
I'm sorry I missed the show, and hope they re-broadcast.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I always enjoy watching anything that Stossel host. He doesn't have the typical "leftist hidden agenda" you frequently find in the network media.

The Josh

Jan 16, 2002
I saw that show and was thoroughly impressed with some big cheeses decision to run it, I personaly would like to see more shows like that but hey I'll take what I can get, a454elk should make the people he arrest at greenie riots watch the stuff..... just a thought...

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
They have found the selective cut (rather than a scalping clear cut) has the greatest yield per acre over the long haul

The big land ownerw like Boise Cascade are the true stewards of their land for it needs to provide them for the long run. Some small acreage land owners butcher their land, but it's probably a small percentage of the vast forests.
It's in the National forest that you see the most clear cuts. Done by logging companies who had the low bid. Low bid means they have to get the most with the least amount of effort to make a profit, hence clear it :|
Not trying to start a different topic, just expanding upon your statements with my ignorant point of view :) but I could go on if you want :D

I wish I would have seen the show, their's always two sides to every story ;)

Top Bottom