WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Rode Geels North & South on Saturday, what great trails.  Almost rode them last year but upon our arrival atthe trailhead, we discovered there was a ccc ride there that weekend.  The north loop has some nice tight sections and the south is a little more open.  It's nice to ride someplace with minimal whoops.  On Sunday, we rode out of the cabin west to hook up with the Mio to Rose City section of the trail.  We ended up taking that towards the little Ambrose lake loop.  Along the way, we met the president of the Bent Wheels and two buddies he was riding with.  We followed them onto a new section of trail they cut this past spring.  :aj: Wow! What an awesome trail they have put in.  It is a nice tight, technical section that is a blast to ride.  We made it all the way to the Ambrose Lake trailhead, where low fuel and water forced us to abort the Ambrose Lake loop and head straight back.  All in all, we covered about 85 miles of trail, with no crashes and only one bruise on my bicep from bumping a tree Sunday afternoon.

The only down side is that I think I blew the shock seal, as I have fluid dripping down on to the bump stop.  I've ridden hard over some pretty whooped out sections (St. Helens) in the last couple weeks, so I guess it's time to visit the suspension guys again.  Hopefully, I can get it repaired in time to ride again before Labor day.

Anyone else get out this weekend?  Hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable weekend.

Bill

Last edited:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Yeah, I hit the White Cloud trail Sunday afternoon. This has been the greatest summer for riding with the rain we've been getting. I'd rank the trail PERFECT in terms of traction yesteday! This trail is interesting in that when it rains, I think the whoops get knocked down on this trail. While it gets a lot of Grand Rapids traffic, I alway find it enjoyable.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
I agree. Between the groomed trail, fresh new trail and the moisture, traction was almost scary when you are unaccustomed (sp?) to it.

We'd like to ride some of the more western trails, but it is difficult with all the comforts of home at my buddies cabin near Mio.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I hear you on that Bill. I often stay at my parent's old cabin near Grayling. Maybe we could link up around Mio/Atlanta sometime.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Sounds good. I'll post here the next time we're heading up. Lately, its just been my buddy with a KTM and I. A friend that rides a KDX has not ridden yet this year, but we keep hassling him about how good the riding is each time. My friend that owns the cabin doesn't ride much, if at all anymore, and it's strange to be at his place and say to him in the morning, "see ya around dinner" and head out to the trail. But it's all good because he says that he'd rather fish instead.

West of Grayling is some nice riding. We get that way to another friend's cabin occassonally. He's near Bear lake, I believe.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
We're just a few miles east of Bear Lake, and usually do the Kalkaska loop that kind of goes around Bear Lake.

I'm probably heading there this weekend, but will be looking at doing the Pine Cone ride.

Top Bottom