Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Great weekend, Ogemaw FES and Battle Creek HS

Sat my kids ran the Family enduro and I ran a check-well 5 of 'em really. Good comments on the enduro and Grant has fun on the MX track. (Good Job Mike, Leroy and team!!)Thanks Denny for lending him your 200 for the last few laps of the FES and a few hot laps on the MX tracks. (He wants a KTM now real bad!!) We got home and went directly to his house, unloaded the wounded Honda 450 and loaded his brothers CRF 250 Honda since his borther has a broken arm. We worked on the bike in my garage, prepped it and put woods bars on it. Loaded it in the trailer, good to go.

Sunday we left our house about 6:30 for Battle Creek Hare Scramble. Erin rode the morning program and Nathan and Grant rode the "Z" class and I rode the "SS" class.

Was it me or was the course kinda gnarly? :bang:

Whew the first lap pumped up my arms; I crashed the second lap trying to jump 3 logs and only made 2!! The forks got twisted and I had to keep pulling off to get them straightened out, took about 5 tries-I lost several minutes that lap but figured I would just keep going and get some riding in. I had to stop and fix my glasses too, they kept bouncing around from the crash. So on my 3rd lap I was cruising along pretty good, the arm pump was gone and I started passing guys-I see a guy in my class I recognize and we start battling, I finally get him and gap him a bit before the MX track because he always gets me there. I kept him behind me and go into the scoring tower. I lose my balance and fall over, pick up my bike, get my bar code read. Get on my bike and get passed back! It's ON! I was PO'ed and I was showing him a wheel on every turn, on a grass track section i slid into him, banged bars a couple times and after a bit I finally slipped by him. I came up on a couple guys on thumpers and put them between us quick so I could gap him and it worked. I had no Idea where I ended up but figured it was not too good because I was wasted on the last lap and never caught any more guys. Well I ended up 4th in my class, pretty sweet for not riding much these past 2 months. :cool:

Grant rode his second HS and ended up 7th of 40 In the "Z" class just behind an "A" enduro rider. He's catching on quickly and when he was on the MX track he was passing people in gobs I guess, that’s his specialty. Erin had an off day and was down in the pack and Nathan struggled with the technical aspect of the loop.

But we all had a great weekend, rode our bikes and no injuries to report. For me it was good to be on the bike again and the neck didn't bother me today, we will see tomorrow.......

Highlight of the day was getting passed by JEFF STANTON riding heavy team. Holee shat batman that boy can haul in da woods! He made a really sweet line around a gob of guys I was trying to pass and I followed him through the woods and jumping logs. (Didn't look nearly as smooth as him though and he was gone!) That was cool.

Last edited:

TJC510

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 22, 2006
sounds like everyone had a great time. :cool:

i really wanted to go up to Ogemaw to check out the trails and to race at BC, but i looked at my bank account friday and decided neither were possible if i wanted to go to work this week. its not that i want to go to work, more like i have to. it sounds like i missed out on a great time. i love gnarly stuff, the tougher the better.

how much different did they run it at Ogemaw?

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Things did not go well for 1L. I got the hole shot made the 1st lap switched with my partner. He made about 1/2 lap and our bike is stuck in 1st gear - we DNF'd - Shagy now has the points lead, go shagy

On another note I raced MX @ PTR on Saturday in the mud and won both motos in the 45+class - me likes mud, 5 guys in my class.

BC was sweet, at least I got 1 lap (that is about the same seat time that I got at the mx on Saturday). It is funny to me how the MX folk think HS is for wussys - wrong HS is way tougher. The MX guys see me at the line and think because I have bark busters on my bike that I must suck. I really enjoyed kicking azz on my 300 2 stroke. 450's ain't got shat

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Fred T.....you looked great out there!! :cool:

I gave you the customary heads up by yelling your name....I immediately knew it was you by the very sano helmet your were sporting. How do you like the new lid? Looked real nice to me! :nod: Did you hear me yell "Thanks Fred?" Good to see you out there, thanks for making the trip. Yep, that was a gnarly track. I too had the priveledge of getting passed by Jeff. I caught and passed his partner on the third lap....so I knew it was coming. That guy can ride in the woods man. Although, he did not pass Gallt or Wegner....and not for a lack of trying....his hands were pretty blistered after his first two lap stint. He passed everyone else though :whoa:

Lots of people missed the log bridge. Did anyone see the guy on the Honda who fell off of it? I had dinner with him at Applebees...he was pretty bummed.

That was a long one! I went 3 hr 33 min...and there were quite a few that finished more than that! I had a dribble of gas left....went through 5 gallons!

Sorry to hear about the 1L machine. Maybe you should open the gas cap and pour some Yamaha in there?? :nener: I know, I know...."KTM's are the best and most and there are more of those at the races than anything else"....I'm sure you'll have her fixed by WTR. Oh well, maybe Shaggy will make it out to a few more race tracks this year?

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Fred,
How many LT. Teams??? Did Shaggy ride solo?? What about Hvy Team?? Glad you had a "BLAST" at PTR. Sorry to hear about your luck at B.C.

Dave L.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Dave,

15 heavy team entries.....4 light team.

Where were you and your light team support man??

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
D.LEATHERS said:
Fred,
How many LT. Teams??? Did Shaggy ride solo?? What about Hvy Team?? Glad you had a "BLAST" at PTR. Sorry to hear about your luck at B.C.

Dave L.

Dave, 4 Light Teams (thats 8 entries as far as the club is concerned) I do not know what happened to Hambo and Ziff - all talk I guess. about 15+ heavy Teams with stiff competition. Alan Rant and one of the Keens goy 2nd 5 sec ahead of the Reed boys who ran out of gas and costed them about 1 minute or so.

Shagy rode with his brother - I let him off the hook for the 50 bucks (like I had said I would) - shagy is 0 for 2 on the hole shots.

I think we need to come up with a structure that will retain 2 team classes and try to get it so they are close to even in entry numbers. - more on this as the season goes. LT does have 4 teams going for points so far as Dan Baker and Rick Bells are in it and it appears that a young team (Gault and Sumbara?) are also in it. 1L is way back in points and that is a good thing for now - something to race for!!! :cool:

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Yam7M said:
Dave,

15 heavy team entries.....4 light team.

Where were you and your light team support man??

Mark, Sorry I was a no-show at B.C. Conner & His brother Perry decided to skip B.C. and race MX at PTR for the week-end, they don't like all the woods. I didn't want to ride with anyone else as Conner & I already have 3rd place points in LT. Team. Looks like we would have stood a good chance of taking the win. :bang: How was the overall turnout in rider #'s???

Later,
Dave L.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Mark
The lid is good, you don't know it's on there. It was good to be racing again and I even was a little bit competative. Sore today, neck feels scarey good right now. :cool:

I tried to be good about letting guys by but I did have to check to make sure it wasn't someone in my class.

:) <--- me today. :nod:

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
The numbers were good, although the mini numbers were disappointing. They usually pick up after schools out.

Numbers:

43 quads; 19 teams; 32 minis; 66 2 hr riders; 70 3 hr riders = 249 riders (when you double the team numbers).

Once again, Kidner used his "winnings" to treat us at Applebees. He's a class act. We did it last year and gave our waitress a huge tip. The manager came up to us and said that our waitress was crying in back, due to the generous tip. Her husband had just lost his job and she was grateful for the extra $$. Third overall on a 125.....and he now has the points lead for the overall!! Aren't 125's supposed to be at a disadvantage? :think:

So Dave, do you have any built in excuses for not going to WTR now?? :nener:

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
E_Langen said:
Was there a new class at BC?

The guy who rode the class has been lobbying for a "60 and over" class. It was sponsored by a club member at Battle Creek, and it was a exhibition class only. We are giving him 12th place points for the SS class, but there is not an official SSS or 60+ class.

We already have enough classes.....pretty soon someone will want a 2004-2006 model year, KTM only, 167cc, 37-42 yr old, Moose Gear only class too. Jeeezzz.

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Having not ridden BC HS before my eyes were wide open as I rolled in and saw the MX track :yikes: . I've never ridden on an MX track before. The woods - grass track were excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I'll be back next year! :cool:

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
salgeek said:
Having not ridden BC HS before my eyes were wide open as I rolled in and saw the MX track :yikes: . I've never ridden on an MX track before. The woods - grass track were excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. I'll be back next year! :cool:

Thanks for coming out and glad you had a good time. :cool:

You should make it out to the AMA National that they're having there this fall. We'll run the course backwards, except for the MX part. It promises to be a good time! :nod:

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Sorry to have missed BC, one of my favorite tracks, Helped at an FES and then a East Side tree planting. 4 ORV damage areas.. Planting went well and garnered more support from the DNR from Roscommon Unit.
Fred sorry to hear about the problems.
Freddy, thanks for the help at Ogemaw! glad to hear your feeling better.
Shaggy you should still pay up :nener:
Kindner WAY TO GO!
Did Becker make it and keep a clutch in his Yamaha?

See ya at WTR!

Rudydog

Jul 26, 2008
I went to BC too, it was my 1st Haresramble. I'm 43 and ran the Z class. Didn't finish worth a squat, but boy did I have fun. Those MX boys ain't got nothing on you guys. When I came out of the woods to hit the track it was like a rest compared to the woods course. I parked next to Mark Smith, nice guy with good advice. I learned a ton. Next time I'm going to show up with some narrower bars. One of the things I really noticed about you HS guys is you really promote your sport, always recruiting and letting us newbies know how fun it is. Thanks, can't wait for the next one.

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Rudydog said:
I went to BC too, it was my 1st Haresramble. I'm 43 and ran the Z class. Didn't finish worth a squat, but boy did I have fun. Those MX boys ain't got nothing on you guys. When I came out of the woods to hit the track it was like a rest compared to the woods course. I parked next to Mark Smith, nice guy with good advice. I learned a ton. Next time I'm going to show up with some narrower bars. One of the things I really noticed about you HS guys is you really promote your sport, always recruiting and letting us newbies know how fun it is. Thanks, can't wait for the next one.
If you liked the woods there, you should try an enduro, not likely to have a MX track but lots of fun in the tight woods.

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Shagy100 said:
all in all for being tight i had fun and i will be riding the national on on sunday that weekend

Shagy,

Teams will be running on Saturday for the BC nat'l event. I assume you want to ride LT, seeing how you are the current points leader.

FYI, my 200 tranny is fixed!!! - one great thing about owning a KTM is KTM TALK forum - searched, found others with same issue, fixed :cool:

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Rudy Dog.....Glad to hear you had fun!! Yep, the Z class is always the deepest class, but the numbers will drop off as we head north....although it is still the most attended class on average. Look into doing the three hour classes as you get more acclimated for a better finishing place....and another hour of fun!! Mark Smith is a great guy....and we'll all lend a hand when it comes to advice and encouragement. :cool: Nothing better than the conversion of a moto guy to the joys of HS! More bang for the dollar :nod:

Fred, I'm not sure if it's a good thing that the bike breaks regularily enough to justify a forum on the subject of fixing it, indicating that there's quite the problem with the tranny :laugh: But, it's good that you found the help :) (I'm just poking fun, here, right Fred? :p )

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Yam7M said:
Fred, I'm not sure if it's a good thing that the bike breaks regularily enough to justify a forum on the subject of fixing it, indicating that there's quite the problem with the tranny :laugh: But, it's good that you found the help :) (I'm just poking fun, here, right Fred? :p )

Funny Mark, good point though. I have had 3 KTM's and have had zero DNF's until last weekend (other than a flat tire) - now that I said that I'm probably screwed :bang: Prior to buying the first one I had thought KTM owners were weirdos (like Volvo owners) My favorite bike was 1981 Yamaha YZ250 (last year of the true monoshock) - Have you ridden a KTM in the woods?

No offence to any Volvo owners

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Yam7M said:
Mark Smith is a great guy....and we'll all lend a hand when it comes to advice and encouragement. :cool: Nothing better than the conversion of a moto guy to the joys of HS! More bang for the dollar :nod:

QUOTE]

Talk about lending a guy a hand. After finally getting to ride my bike after soo much time off needless to say i was breathing through my eyelids and sore after the race. So i begged a free beer off of none other than Barclay's 'ol man out of Scottys cooler. I think I might of got his last one! :cool: That was the second highlight of my day, Stanton was the first.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
09oneL said:
Funny Mark, good point though. Have you ridden a KTM in the woods?

yes, I sure have. I actually raced Kidner's 200 at M40's track in 2001 or 2002. I really like the gear ratio's in the tight stuff. I just can't afford 'em....otherwise I'd probably ride one....although I might be on forum's looking for fix it advice then!!

Just kidding, just kidding. :laugh:

Top Bottom