Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
So my son turned 4 back in October and I picked up an XR50 for him. I did a little tweaking on the bike and waited until he was ready to give it a shot. We spent some time in the garage on Saturday going over the "go" (throttle) and "stop" (foot brake) until he had a pretty good understanding of what I wanted him to do. Mommy got him all suited up for his first ride (next time she'll put the knee guards INSIDE the pants). The open lots across from our house were a little too muddy and over-grown to try, so he just putted in the street at the end of our driveway. He really surprised me because he took it nice and slow and listened to me better than I thought he would. He'd ride about 50 feet to the cones and then stop. He loved making the U-turns to head back the other direction. He was a bit disappointed that he couldn't get dirty like daddy does, but next weekend we'll try and get him in the dirt. Just thought I'd share. If there are any dads out there that are waiting for the first day their little one takes a ride, it's pretty incredible! :) He spent about 45 minutes on the bike, stopped and said, "All done daddy! Let's go watch Superman!"

Attachments

• jjfirstridej.jpg
    jjfirstridej.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 59

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
I came home the other day and told my wife I had a moment earlier that afternoon that made me want to start having kids. I saw the tears of joy starting in the corners of her eyes and she was beaming as she asked me to sit down and tell her about it.

"Well, ..." the story started, "I was at the cycle shop this afternoon looking at bikes, and on my way out the door I saw this tiny little KTM. It was so cute. I immediately thought that we need to have a little one so we can buy one of those things."

It wasn't the story she was hoping for, but I won't be surprised if I come home one night and there's a little KTM beside our bed "for inspiration".

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
RIGHT ON JACOB!! :)

Man, in a few years he will be leading us around the trails, hurry up oldies :laugh:
Congrats Mike!!
Rick

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
xsnrg said:
I came home the other day and told my wife I had a moment earlier that afternoon that made me want to start having kids. I saw the tears of joy starting in the corners of her eyes and she was beaming as she asked me to sit down and tell her about it.

"Well, ..." the story started, "I was at the cycle shop this afternoon looking at bikes, and on my way out the door I saw this tiny little KTM. It was so cute. I immediately thought that we need to have a little one so we can buy one of those things."

It wasn't the story she was hoping for, but I won't be surprised if I come home one night and there's a little KTM beside our bed "for inspiration".

:rotfl: That is prob one of the funniest things i've heard in a while.

Congrats on the kids first ride, I remeber when i first got on a bike at age 5, my brother threw a helmet on me and said go. I did good but wiped out a few times because there was no trainin wheels or anything. keep up the good work and he will be lappin you in no time :cool:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
sick 96 250 said:
he will be lappin you in no time :cool:

Nah, I figure when he starts passing me I'll start jamming old socks into his airbox!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Cool! I can't wait!

KMAPRO

Jan 11, 2005
My son is getting started a little late..mainly because I got restarted a good bit late..

He will be 9 in May and he will get his first dirt bike. He has no idea, but we have been dropping little hints along the way...he thinks he is getting an X-Box though...BOY will he be surprised. We already have the bike - it is in storage over at PaPa's house...

I bought my first bike in 13 years on February 26 and I have had a blast on it!!! I can't wait to turn him loose in the backyard with it....

fla2smoker

Feb 11, 2005
I bought my 5 year old an 04PW50 for his birthday last june. He has ridden it a total of maybe one hour... I was a little disappointed (quietly) but his younger brother (2 and a half) wants to ride on it every day... Either way I wont be upset if they decide it is not for them. The older one is more into Karate and pleasing Mom. The little one has a pair of yellow rainboots that he calls his "motocross boots", a pair of Bob the Builder goggles that are his "motocross goggles" and refuses to leave the house without them, we made the mistake of buying him a Fox toddler jersey and gloves. He has been wearing them everyday for the past two months (He can actually put his gloves on with the fingers in the right places by himself!! anyone with kids will know what I am talking about). I sure hope he doesnt burn out before he gets to ride by himself!

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Wow thats so cool. I have 5 sons, and can you believe Ive only had one of them on a bike, and only briefly at that. Dont get me wrong, they have shown interest, but my better half is not so keen on the idea. (Ive had a few injuries along the way she's had to put up with)

In any case, I picked up a basket case XR100 last year, and Ive been putting it together little by little. I cant wait to get the kids out there! My wife even says she will try it out! Now that would be cool! If I can only get her over to the dark side....then it will be Hondas for everyone, just like the dumb TV commercial and we can all spend the wekend riding together,,.....yeah that'll happen....NOT! :laugh:

Ive told my kids they can all get them when they are adults, and then when Im really old, we can go trailing!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I've actually found that it is the kids who had to "want" bikes without "having" bikes that are much more into it. My oldest had the want for a while before getting one...he is the most avid. The second one always had a bike available and has only shown casual interest, though he is the best rider in the family (myself included). The youngest one I tried to hold out and make him beg for one, but...one week after taking the training wheels off his bicycle we got him an XR50. He is still rather into it, though. He put several hours in this weekend. He's 7 and rides a KTM50 and a CRF70: http://themxtrack.com/Lisa/DSC01447.JPG

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
In 93' I walked into the local bike shop and bought 3 bikes, KX60, KX80(for my two sons) and a KX125 for Dad :nod: My wife thought I was crazy....but it changed our lives forever. They raced MX for the next four years and it was a family affair all the way. We met many great people along the way ( RC was 12 years old and kicking everyones a$$ when we went to Lake Whitney). We have pictures of my sons standing around with K-Dub at his home track in Denim Springs...I think he was 14 at the time(ahhh...he looks so cute in those pictures). We were unable to continue with the racing because Daddy(that would be me :( ) went through some financial difficulties....but dirt bikes became a part of our family. We started riding in the woods several years later and have been doing that ever since. We ride Harescrambles and Enduros, we go camping and riding. My sons are 23 and 24 now ( they've been leaving me in their dust for quite sometime now). We also have three girls...a couple of them ride bikes...they all ride quads...as well as my wife. Everyone in my family has at least one muffler burn on their leg :laugh:
I can't decribe to you how rewarding it is to ride behind my kids ( I actually get chocked up sometimes) watching them fly through the trails....at least until they are out of site. One of them recently started getting out on the MX tracks again, I haven't been able to go out and watch yet...but will be getting out there soon.
Off-road riding as been a great catalyst for family unity and has helped us overcome many of the problems that have plagued American families over the years....hell, even my daughters boyfriend got a bike last week. :cool:
Good luck, with your son....you can look forward to many great years of riding ahead for both of you. :ride:

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Very Cool!!!! :cool:

I too was a proud papa!! Thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• 284151stride2-thumb.jpg
    284151stride2-thumb.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 44

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Here is my little guy in the snow. He is ready for the outriggers to come off this weekend. He has great form and keeps his elbows up even though i have never told him to do that.

Attachments

• Christian Snow 1.jpg
    Christian Snow 1.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 33

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
Can't wait for the snow to melt

Attachments

• Christian Snow 2.jpg
    Christian Snow 2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 31

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
That's awesome guys! Thanks for sharing the stories and pictures!

Top Bottom