Green Carb - How to clean it?

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
Hello all,

I bought a DRZ 125 and It would only run at idle with choke on.

I opened up the carb, and it was all green inside.

I tried using carb cleaner. It runs and I can rev it, but still won't run with choke off :(

1. How long should I let the parts sit in carb cleaner?

2. What can I use to clean passage ways? Pipe Cleaner?

3. Should I buy a new jet set/brass parts? (Pilot, Main and adjustable TTR125 needle)

Please give advice.

Some Reference Material : Clicky

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
You need to take out the pilot jet, clean it with compressed air and/or a jet drill and make sure you can see through it. Then blow out all the pilot and air circuit passages in the carb.

Just spraying carb cleaner everywhere wont clean out the tiny holes in the pilot jets.

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
Roger that... i will blast the jets once I get home. I've had them soaking in Carb Cleaner for the past 2 hours

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
DO NOT USE A DRILL BIT TO CLEAN THE JET !!! Let the parts soak for about a half an hour in the cleaner. Clean the parts off with varsol, spray carb. cleaner through all the passages, blow dry with compressed air. If you must use something to clean the jets, use a strand of fine copper wire. This won't damage the jet like a drill bit will.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002

neither will a drill jet that is smaller than the hole in the jet.

GarbatyA4

Sep 4, 2008
Little update for a little bike. ;)

I went to my local suzuki dealer yesterday. Described to them whats going on. I told the service guy/owner that I pulled out the brass plug. He's like what was the setting for the fuel screw.

It was at 1.5 turns out. Factory spec is supposed to be 2-1/4 turns out. He told me to do 3 turns out. (lean from factory)

Anyways, I purchased a 105 main jet (stock is 102.5) and some Suzuki Carb Cleaner. And let me say this, OMG was this better than gunk carb cleaner. I trusted him in buying this carb cleaner. He wasn't F%#king around.

In 20 minutes, everything was shiney as new. Not one dull peice in my carb. NO MORE GREEN DEPOSITS. I blew all the passages with Compressed air, and the jets. I measured the float level. Put it all back together. I'm feeling very confident. I'm just waiting for a warm day, today is spiking -25deg C. :ohmy: Friday afternoon they are calling for +10 deg C

Anyways, Thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers. :ride:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Read the carb cleaning sticky I have at the top of the pitbike & mini forum.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…