Aug 29, 2007
Hiya everyone. Just saying hello from the beautiful pacific northwest (the REAL pacific northwest... not Oregon ;) ) I am 14 and have lived here all my life. I've lurked here for a year or two, but never posted. I finally saved up enough money to buy myself a REAL bike, so I decided to start posting here. Anyways, might as well tell you a little story about how I got interested in the sport.

One dark and stormy night, one year ago, a phone call shrilled in the strange spooky yellow glow of the moon. The receiver was picked up, and greetings were uttered. Discussions took place on how the price of gas was going up and how Bush was to blame for all of the world's problems. After many minutes of heated debate, the discussion morphed into a talk about dirt bikes. The acquaintance on the other end of the line talked of how his son sold his dirtbike to my cousins. (Who are 4, 8, and 9) My father had talked about him selling it, and I asked him to ask my cousin (the seller) about the price. He failed in that task. I was not very happy, but he had other things on his mind (the Telus lockout, you probably didn't hear about it). I resigned myself to searching the local classifieds for a bike. After discovering that the price of a good, used bike was way out of my range, I decided to blow all the cash I saved (about $800) on other stuff. Bad decision, I know. So then, about 9 months later, I discovered that my cousin (who sold the bike originally) had crashed on his dirtbike. Until that time I had all but forgotten about the sport. Turns out there IS a silver lining to every cloud. It sucked that he crashed (no injuries, thank goodness) but it revived my need for a bike. So, I took to browsing the classifieds again, this time with a goodly chunk of change in my wallet (I put a lot of my money into stocks, silver, etc. yeah, I'm pretty well-off :) ) I discovered that bikes were still out of my range. I decided to post here, asking what bike would be good for me anyways. XMotoX recommended a KDX. I looked into it and it seems perfect. As of right now, the cheapest one near me is a '91 KDX200 for $1400. Still a bit expensive, but oh well. C'est la vie. I'm applying for a job at the local grocery store, and I plan to have enough cash to get a very decent bike by the end of the year. But lo, a problem lurks like a crocodile in my path. My parents (who I'm sure have only my best interests at heart) do not want me to get a bike, due to the "sheer probability of injury." Their opinion is unswayed by my many showings of innumerable statistics, pie charts, even ^%*$@-ing PowerPoint presentations! Thus, I am convinced that my dream has been crushed. Not to mention that they are ultralibs and are against such "death pollution machines." Now I just have to hope that they see the light by the end of the year. :yell:

Top Bottom