DrStrangelove

Jul 24, 2004
Hello, all! Glad to be on-board. I have to tell you right off the bat, my reasons for joining are initially selfish (although I do take part in many forums that coincide with various hobbies).

You see, I'm 34 years old and have been on a bike since I was 9 years old. First bike was a Yamaha GT80 then off to a YZ-- then a 125. Stopped riding in high school when I was 16 years old-- not enough track and too many police stops in my neighborhood on the way to tearing up some unsuspecting citizen's property. Nevertheless, my dirtbike days were put to rest and I didn't get back on a bike until I was 19.

At 19, I went immediately into street bikes. A brand new Ninja 1000 and a rebuilt HD (AMC) Sportster (junk). Since then I've been through three more Harley's and currently own 2 Yamahas-- an R1 and an FZ1. Recently, my wife and I had a baby (now 14 months old) and we both agree that it may be time to put the R1 out to pasture. The FZ1, by the way, stays-- you'd have a better shot taking my left kidney than getting me to sell this bike.

Nevertheless, we've both decided (my wife rides, too-- Bandit 600) to reintroduce dirt bikes into our lives and to hopefully share the sport with our daughter as she grows up-- I can't wait to buy her a PW50.

Anyway, back to the point of my joining. My choice for the first bike for my daughter (when the time comes 3-4 yrs old) is easy-- the choice for myself is not so easy. I've got to determine if I want to go back to 2 stroke or go the way of 4. I've got to determine if I want true moto (YZ) or perhaps the off-road enduro style WR bikes. While I'm a power monger (as can be seen by my choice of street bikes), I have to choose something that makes sense for me and my skills-- I haven't ridden dirt/track in over 15 years AND I'm 5'7"== 5'8" on a day where I'm feeling extra tall.

My gut tells me that the WR450F is the way to go, but I have to tell you, I am a little concerned with my abilities. I think the 450 is actually an inch shorter than the 250, but you know the power... anyway. Also, I don't want to buy something that in a year I'll wish I had more power.

So, as I said, at first my joining is exploitative-- I'm actually hoping to use my registration as an educational tool for helping me to choose a best bike to re-enter (and grow) with. Hopefully some here can lend some insight experience. I welcome all responding posts and well as personal responses directly to my email.

Thanks a million,
DocS :ride:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site :cool:

Check out the What Bike Do I Get... ? forum for a bunch of great threads about bikes. If you don't find the info you need with search, post up a new thread and you will likely get a bunch of opinions.

Tell your wife to sign up and check out the Women's Forum. Some of the most knowledgable women this side of the planet hang out on DRN.

Top Bottom