scottiedawg66

Sep 26, 2006
Hey folks, I change my trans oil after every 3-4 rides and its grey looks like its got some metalic flake in it...does this mean my tranny is on the way out? Im pretty sure its not getting contact with coolant because the coolant is free of oil, and i just rebuilt the whole top end and crank / rod using new seals / gaskets the works?

~scott

bruno670

Sep 13, 2006
The metal flakes is not part of your tranny, it is more likely part of the aluminum clutch driven plates.(Unless you have changed your clutch lately with an aftermarket clutch/plates). If you had coolant mixed with your tranny oil it would look like a grey milk shake. If this is what it looks like did you change your waterpump seal. if not this could be the problem.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
It's not the oil, it's the aluminum clutch plates as stated earlier. Frequent oil changes are a fact of life with aluminum clutch plates, consider switching to steel if it bothers you.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
My oil can be grayish with extended use from clutch wear. But if you are worried about it put some of the used oil in a glass jar and let it sit for a day, then look it over.

Top Bottom