grinding notches out'a old clutch basket

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
so how good does this fix work for sticky-to-squeez ctutchesw. I've got an old worn out beater and am trying to get some more cheap miles out'a it, so i'm gonna grind away. Are there anythings that would not seem readily appearent that i nee to look for. I'm figuring you wouldn't wanna gring these things down to about 1/2 width, but after that everything else seems like it would be nuthin but good news.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Like you say....its gets you a few more miles before you end up at the same place. The spaces between the "fingers" are sized to the "tabs" on the plates. When you open up this dimension you create slop/play that actually allows the plates to "bang" even harder into the basket fingers. If you do not remove an equal amount from each "finger" you spread the impact over fewer fingers that are contacting the tabs. I think draw filing and using a plate for a checking template while doing works fine. Make sure you have a little radius where the fingers are casted to the main hub another words no square edges or flaws. Otherwise you may create a spot for a fracture to start ultimately having broken parts in the engine. Of course this all may be a non issue on some "ol-beater".

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
It doesn't take much to change the feel drastically.

Myself, I would get a nice fine mill file and give each tab 4 or 5 strokes. Don't bear down on it, just light strokes. Then wrap the file in emery cloth, oil it and burnish the tabs.

It will do wonders.

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
thanks for the info,as it turned out the basket was fine. There were 2 screws about backed out in there and lottsa loose screws. hopefully i found the problem. Thanks.

Top Bottom