Josht3719

Jan 28, 2009
So it's time for new grips and I'm wondering what i should get. I have never had to change the grips on my new kx so I was wanting you guys' opinions on grips. I have heard Pro Taper Pillow-Top grips are pretty good.

And one last thing, and i know it's mainly opinion too, but how do YOU guys put new grips on?

Thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I recently became a huge fan of ODI grips.. They come glued on a throttle tube and a lockon tube for the clutch side.

No glue needed, just an allen wrench. They don't move. They are the best grips I've used so far.

http://www.odigrips.com/lock-on-2.aspx

You can get them from rockymountainatv.com cheaper than from ODI directly.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Those lock on grips are a great idea. I bought a pair of the Renthal Kevlar ones last time and they seem pretty durable. I use weather stripping adhesive to glue my grips.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
I find Renthal Grips to be quite durable. It's all in they type you choose though. The comfy soft gummy ones rip fairly easy, the harder compound Renthal ones can take a serious beating and still be good as new.

How do I put them on? With much sweating and curse words. My hands are usually bright red and sore for a few days afterwards. I put the glue on the handlebars and then twist, not slide, them on. This is more difficult on the throttle side but seems to work..... eventually. Also, if you take a blow dryer to the grips and heat them up they should be easier to put on ;)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
250girl said:
I find Renthal Grips to be quite durable. It's all in they type you choose though. The comfy soft gummy ones rip fairly easy, the harder compound Renthal ones can take a serious beating and still be good as new.

How do I put them on? With much sweating and curse words. My hands are usually bright red and sore for a few days afterwards. I put the glue on the handlebars and then twist, not slide, them on. This is more difficult on the throttle side but seems to work..... eventually. Also, if you take a blow dryer to the grips and heat them up they should be easier to put on ;)

For just a little bit more than the cost of those fancy Renthal grips, I can change the ODI grips in about 10 minutes. With NO swearing, red or sore hands, and no need to bring out blow dryers.

I take that back.. There is a little swearing "F___ Yeah, this F____rs Rock!!"

hehe.. rocky mountain has them for 18 bucks.. oh so worth the extra cost.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I paid 18.99 for the kevlar ones. I think I'll try the ODIs next. Are you sure there was no swearing Gary? I end up cussing my bike out every time I remove the throttle tube, which I end up doing often due to mud being packed in there.

J-man

May 16, 2007
Im using the pro taper pillow tops and im not that pleased with them. I think im ganna send an order for a set of the ODIs. Thanks for the link Gary.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Seriously, these grips are the best I've tried..

And the fact that you get a new throttle tube is killer.. CRF throttle tubes are a pain in the ___ to work on.. But I'll suffer that hassle.

Oh, one other nice feature.. They come setup already for bark busters. And if you don't run bark busters, they have a set of plugs for the end of the bars.

I do run bark busters, but not all the time. It's nice having the plugs when I take them off.

(ODI should start paying me.. )

J-man said:
Thanks for the link Gary.

No problem..

B

biglou

ive only posted this about 47 times over the years, but i can change my grips in minutes as well. pro-taper gray (soft) half waffle for me. cut the old ones off with a box knife, spray some 3M weatherstrip adhesive inside the new grips and onto the bars and throttle tube, slide and twist into position, wait a few minutes and ride.

i've something similar to those odi grips on my new mtb, gary. heck, they might be odi for all i know.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
biglou said:
ive only posted this about 47 times over the years, but i can change my grips in minutes as well. pro-taper gray (soft) half waffle for me. cut the old ones off with a box knife, spray some 3M weatherstrip adhesive inside the new grips and onto the bars and throttle tube, slide and twist into position, wait a few minutes and ride.

i've something similar to those odi grips on my new mtb, gary. heck, they might be odi for all i know.

Probably are.. ODI does make locking grips for MTB's.. I think that's where they originated..

How do you like them on there Lou?

B

biglou

don't know. haven't had a chance to ride it yet. it's the never-ending winter here again this year. 4 out of 5 rounds of racing cancelled to date, and anyone that's open is running makeup races, so no open practice anywhere.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
GRRRR. We just got a couple inches of snow today. It's 35 degrees now so it's melting.

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
we're cold here in southern Indiana. its 100%, unadulterated B.S.!

Josht3719

Jan 28, 2009
Well, thanks for all the advice. I will be looking into those ODI's, and yes IndyMX...your paycheck from ODI should be coming ;)

Now if it would just warm up so i could try 'em out...

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
You guys are complaining about snow and cold and rain? First of all, rain is good. Rain makes mud, and mud makes fun. And are you guys telling me you won't ride in the snow? Seriously?
Do you know how much fun you are missing out on? Ice donuts, drifting, lodging your bike in snowbanks...... all sorts of sweet stuff you can't do on dirt. And wiping out in deep snow doesn't rip a hole through your jeans and butt skin like gravel does.

So put on your swanky non-skin-ripping grips and go for a rip. If it's above -10C and less then three feet of snow, ya got no excuse! Unless you ride a 4-stroke...... impossible cold weather starters. :p

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
LOL this thread reminds me of somthing that happend on a ride late last year.. It had been raining all day long and we were all doing donuts (they were..I wasent) I looked up to see one of my riding buddies standing over his bike that he layed out when his grips fell off...it was sooo funny.

B

biglou

I'm a track queen. I ain't spending more time with the power washer than I did in the saddle if at all possible. And I can start my 4-stroke just fine in any kind of weather. Alway have, too. :nener:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Yeah, any time you have to spend more time cleaning it than you did riding it, is certainly not a good day riding..

But, most of those that find doing donuts to be a good day riding probably don't spend much time washing anyway.

Josht3719

Jan 28, 2009
Even if my bike's only an 02, I'd like to keep it in working condition for these track days right around the corner ya know?

Oh, and I just ordered those ODI grips. Can't wait :cool:

Josht3719

Jan 28, 2009
Went out for the day about a week ago and crashed pretty bad (trashed pipe) and the end caps on those ODI grips worked nicely. I was surprised they were still in one peice.

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
grip install

I put a bead of grip glue along the top of the cleaned bar and throttle tube then slip a slender modelers paint brush into the grip and then work it onto the bar/tube with the brush handle in the glue line. After it is in-place I pull out the brush and rotate the grips a full turn or until the arrow points forward and they stay. Works for me. :cool:

mdavidso

Apr 28, 2009
I may be simple, I cut the old grips with a box cutter, then spray on hairspray on the Bars and inside the grips and very carefully thrust :yikes: them on before the hairspray dries ;)

but if you mess up theres a lot of swearing and maybe kicking the s__t out of anything close. :yell: :yell:

Top Bottom