kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
Bman007 said:
I have read a few posts about wiring your grips after you glue them. What type of wire and where on the grip do you wire?

i use #18 gauge wire with the protaper grips.they are specially grooved to accept the wire.if you use other grips you can put wire on both ends of each grips.i use 3M spray contact glue.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Howdy Bman,

I used SS safety wire and safety wire pliers. I wired two loops for each grip about a 3/4" from the ends. If you've never used safety wire and decide to go that way, leave some extra twisted wire (~1/4"), bend it in half back on itself and then bend the doubled wire flat with the grips. That way you don't get poked by the sharp cut ends.

Best,
Greg

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
also, any kind of spray paint works. You can get the grips back off too by spraying WD40 or somethign in there, or just pry it without ruining them.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Yeah, I used the Renthal grip glue when I put mine on and I don't think they're coming off without a razor blade...

Zforty5

Oct 6, 2003
I use contact cement (Weldwood, the original contact cement) that is used for formica counter tops. Any hardware store should carry it.

(1). Make sure that the holes in the end of the bars are clear, scrape out any old grip material because if you use the soft gel grips (spider and such) you'll blow a hole thru them when you slide them on because the pressure can't escape into the bars.

(2). Do one side at a time. Put a thin coat the bars and let it dry. (about 15min)

(2). Coat the inside of the grip (q-tips work well) and install it quickly because it will dry in 15 minutes and will not come off. You won't need wire because you'll have to cut them off just like the stock ones.

(4). On the throttle side use care as not to use to much glue so you don't glue the grip to the bar

Like I said do it quickly or the grip will not side on all the way and you'll be buying another set.
This is the only method I use. No need to wait overnight for paint to dry, 30 minutes and your ready to ride.

The only down side is that you have to cut them off when its time to change them.
Nothing worse that a twisy grip on a steep downhill.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Grab your wife's hairspray gents. Slick as anything going on - sticky as glue in 10 mins. Never twists on you while mounted.

When it is time to pull the grips - just slit them and rip them off. No residue.

sn

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
moridin said:
Grab your wife's hairspray gents. Slick as anything going on - sticky as glue in 10 mins. Never twists on you while mounted.

That would mean I'd have to get married again. Grip glue doesn't sound so bad... HAHAHAHAHA J/K... :eek:

-Greg

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
Dirt Rider magazine has suggested not to use hair spray, spraypaint, or contact glue several times in their Tech Tips throughout the past 8 years or so. These adhesives tend to deteriorate with moisture. If you run brushguards, you subject your grips to debris and moisture each time you lay it down. A friend of mine has tried all three: hairspray, spraypaint, and contact glue (the kind that you spray on the ceiling of your car when the cloth starts to come off). Hairspray was the least effective and contact glue was the most; none held over a weekend of trail riding in wet conditions.
I have found that grip glue works the best. I use Honda grip glue, simply b/c that is what my dealer stocks, but any grip glue should work. I install my new grips with the glue, then let them set for about 24hrs. After that, I tie each grip with safety wire at both ends and in the middle. Try to keep the knots where they wouln't come in contact with your glove (I file down the sharp edges just in case). Since I have used this technique, my grip glue has outlasted the life of every set of grips that I had on my bike.
-Nick

Top Bottom