GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Grotesque Injury - Just In Time for Halloween!!

This past weekend in the 25-hour race at Starvation Ridge (WA) I took a rut wrong and layed the bike over pretty hard. I felt this pain in my left upper calf just above the boot line and thought to myself that I just got another bruise. Dang the footpegs from hell :| I picked up the bike and continued on for the rest of my 17mile lap. It was around 2am.

I got back to the Team Pit and decided to take a look when I noticed blood on my pants. I figured it was just going to be a scrape or cut, but when I pulled off my gear there was big glob of fat and muscle hanging out of a hole in my sock where my calf was :ohmy: The hole was about 2" in diameter.

All I could say was Oh My God! Oh My God! One of the pit crew made me sit down and went and got the EMT who took a look. She said she could not do anything about it because it was too deep so I had to go to the hospital (driven by my team mates Mom :cool: )

It took 14 stitches to close it up, even though some of the skin is actually missing (found some of it in the sock ;) ) Doctor had to dig around and irrigate the wound pretty good to get out any dirt or sock material. I gotta say, at 3:30 in the morning the graveyard shift Emergency Room doc and staff had me laughing so hard it was actually a funny experience. Since the doc had to trim off the fatty tissue that was sticking out of the wound, we got onto a roll about the "free liposuction" at no extra charge. The ER room nurse even took some pics of the injury for the Team Shred Betty photo album :cool:

Thankfully, its not very painful at all. My leg is stiff from the trauma to the muscles more so than from the wound. Taking antibiotics to ward off infection and no need for pain meds. Will be able to take the stitches out in 10 days.

Last edited:

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Ouch! Sorry Natalie. I hope you heal quickly.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
YEEOWW!! Hurts just reaading it. Get better!

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Hurry up and heal Natalie :) Get back on that bike :aj:
How did you ladies do??
Rick

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Sounds grotesque for sure. Booboo's suck. Hope you heal up okay. :)

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Ouch! Hope it heals quickly! Now, how about those pics!!! :yikes:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
soulmate33 said:
Owwie!!! Get well soon.

Just wondering....are you gonna lipo the right side to even it out? :p

Contrary to how it sounds, there won't be any holes or mis-shape in my leg, although Pred and Captain Obvious have already suggested, on a bright note, that I could always store spare spark plug if it had left a dent :cool:

It will leave a 5.5 cm line scar and a little more where the skin was missing. I've got matching scar already on the other leg from a pipe burn, lol. The scars kinda suck, but you can't really buy the kind of fun you get from riding dirtbikes, so its all good. I just need to stop crashing.

Rickyd - The Shred Betty's took 2nd place this year, it was a super close race for the entire 25 hours, we traded off in minutes all day and all night with the other team. I was going to post a ride report in the Women's Forum soon, but since I only did two laps for the Betty's, my report will once again focus on the social aspects of racing :)

Thanks all, for the well wishes.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Nat - you're one tough chick! :ohmy:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Nat, Nat, Nat...trail side liposuction should not be attempted by amateurs :ohmy:

Glad to here you'll be OK!!!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Natty! OUCH! That story made me shudder, I can't imagine if it had happened to me!

You're a tough cookie Nat, glad to hear that's it not extremely serious. Heal up! Get well soon!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I wanna grow up to be as tough as Nat. I, too had a footpeg try to imbed itself into my calf muscle. Trouble is, it tried to do it from the front.

I was going to make some artwork, but I don't think a predcasso could do the injury justice.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
I had to have stitches last year at the Perry Mountain 24 hour race. Luckily, I had a doc on hand to perform for me. It doesn't sound quite as bad as yours though.

Heal up quick!

Randy

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
GETMETOCA said:
Rickyd - The Shred Betty's took 2nd place this year, it was a super close race for the entire 25 hours, we traded off in minutes all day and all night with the other team. :)

Ricght on!! Congrats Shred Betty's :) :ride: :cool:

Mrs.YZ165

Sponsoring Member
Dec 20, 2004
Pictures....we need pictures!!!!! Sorry to hear about your bo bo.....hope it heals well....And you get to have a cool scar!!!!

Top Bottom