Guaging interest here... PA/NJ/DE folks please have a look too...

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I'm starting to look at the options here... I should be ready for a vacation around OCT and this one sounds cheap except for transportation.  Never did too much of the camping thing... sounds like a something me and my girlfreind would like to try.  We both can't find enough time to ride so this sounds great except for the ride.

NOW, I'm curious if anyone from my area is going and has room for 2 or 3 more bikes.  I'd even consider driving a distance to someone's house on the way, and all leaving together.  I'd contribute to gas and costs incurred of course.  I just can't picture driving the whole way.

And how long does it take to get there from the east coast, or better yet, Philly? 

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
It takes about 20 hours (I76 to I70 to I44). I'm going to have a full RV pulling 7 (2 adults and 5 kids) bikes so I don't think I can help. I will keep an ear open for others in my area who will be going.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Took us 25 hours to make it from Western Pa with a 4 hour nap and pit stops. This was travelling about 10mph over the speed limit. We have 3 possible 4 leaving from my area (Brookville, PA). MrMxer327 and his buddies leave from State College/Altoona area in an RV but dont have room for that many bikes. Last year they had just enough room to hull PapaKeith's bike for him. I wont know about room for bikes til time comes closer as i dont know what i'm going to be hauling (trailer or camper) yet. Either way i wont have room for people maybe just the bikes. With 2 people you should have no problem with the drive. We did it last year with 2 and on the way home Shawn had to drive it by himself as i was doped up with pain pills.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I drive alot for work, though the most I ever did in one sitting was 6 hours no stops. Man is it tough. I'd much rather pay some cash than drive, I'd even consider flying if someone'd haul me bikes.

I didn't take this up with my girl or my buddy yet so it could be anywhere from 1-3 people going. Just trying to get a headstar on how it's gonna be...

So let me get it straight, there's a tarp out there that people decide to sleep in instead of their tent?

And there will be showers on site this year so a hotel room isn't necessary?

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Yes, a nice make shift shower is on site for everyone to use. Works great! The big tarp/tent is for our meetings, hanging out under, etc. not really for sleeping in. Like i said, depending on what i haul i might beable to haul your bikes and some gear. I wont know til around August or so. I'd like to get or rent a large enclosed trailer but dont know what the rates would be yet or where. U-Haul doesnt have a very big ones. I'll let you know when i find out.

The drive isnt too bad. :)

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Tree jumper, thanks for your help. Though I don't like to wait till the last minute. I want to have this SOB planned bing bang boom, off to dirtweek I go. I don't like to mess around. :aj:

About the trailer... I'd be willing to chip in for the rental. Just let me know before you finalize anything, I'm beginning to come up wiht ideas myself.

My favorite part about the whole thing is the affordability. We should get VP to come on site to sell fuel BTW.

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
I don't think I'm going to register unless I have transportation worked out.

OKIE, is there a tentative registration list? Penalties if I remove myself later?

sabooo

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 2002
As per a PM or two.. I'll be going out by pickup one way or another. My truck is only a ranger, though so 2 bikes and assorted water-proof gear will fill it. I have access to an 8 x 12 trailer (huge) which will hold a bunch of bikes, but the trick there is pulling it for my little 4 cylinder.

The other option involves me tagging along with someone else who has room for a bike and a body with assorted gear for the week. At this point I need to be back at work tuesday afternoon at 3pm, but my job situation is subject to change.

If there is sufficient interest, I would be willing to haul bikes out from PA for those that want to fly out. I'm guessing that my own plus 4 more would probably be a good workout for my truck without killing it. I only have a regular cab (no room for gear inside) so anything that cant get rained on would have to find another way to OK.

I'm open to discussion and suggestions.

Cheers,
Sabooo

sabooo

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 2002
also, my best guess is that its about 1450 miles give or take a few from eastern PA to stillwater. Avg 70mph (very optimistic) is over 20hrs, avg 60mph (drive 70-75 with stops factored in) means about 24 hours of steady driving.

I am done work for the week on friday morning 1 or 2am, usually. So leaving early and splitting the drive into 2 days would be an option for me, also.

MrMXer327

Back in the saddle and having a blast !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Like Treejumper said, We made it in about 25hours with lots of pit stops and subtracting time for a snooze in the Wal-mart parking lot. We ran hard (75+) and went thru several tires on the way out. We ran 65 all the way home and had no tire issues. Something about high speeds and heavy loads takes it's toll on tires, so we plan to take it a bit easier this year. Running easier, and stopping only for fuel, We made it in home in about 23 hours... Imagine that.
The NorthEast Caravan replaced 4 RV tires and 3 trailer tires last year on the way out.

Oh yea, I usually have room for one more bike, but won't know till it is closer to the time.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
You folks need to talk to the Cali crew about drive times and distances then you'll have a whole new perspective :)

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I've got 2000km's between me and Stillwater. I'm looking at under 20hours of driving. Average say 110-120km/h, I'm looking at anywhere between 18-21 hours. You guys driving slow or something?

Saint Catharines, ON CA

Stillwater, OK US

Total Distance: 2130.48 km Total Estimated Time: 21 hours, 43 minutes

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I imagine 110 k/h will be alright across the Great Plains.  Just don't forget that the road signs are in M/H.  Otherwise you will be going mighty slow.

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
1373 miles from Fort Lee Virginia. Map Quest says 22 1/2hrs of driving. Thus far it looks like I'll be driving alone, but wouldn't mind linking up with some folks along the way for a wagon train if anyone is interested. I may even have space for an extra bike.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Moose95
1373 miles from Fort Lee Virginia. Map Quest says 22 1/2hrs of driving. Thus far it looks like I'll be driving alone, but wouldn't mind linking up with some folks along the way for a wagon train if anyone is interested. I may even have space for an extra bike.

You'll need it,

I may be dragging one back!

;)

Top Bottom