nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
update from monday 3/17 ortho visit - may not be fractured after all! see my monday reply

UPDATE MONDAY 3/31 - things not looking good... looks to be torn rotator cuff damage - may need surgery and may be out for 6 to 8 MONTHS - MRI Wednesday to find out whats going on :(

yep... i busted up my arm today in my first race of 2003. i felt great at walnut (sunset ridge) all weekend but it didnt end so great. 1st moto, they group together +25, 125c, and women. +25 left the gate first (red included) then they made us chicks go w/ 125c. there was maybe 30 bikes or so and i somehow pulled a killer holeshot from the inside. was riding awesome and in the lead until the end of the first lap... a 125c rider came from the inside to try to take the lead. we go over a 4-5 bike wide tabletop and the 125c dude drifts towards me in the air. it was like slow mo and i thought we werent gonna hit. then right before i landed he clipped me and my right arm pile drived into the hard ground. got up on my hands and knees but couldnt push myself up. said some quick prayers as 30 125c/women riders flew by on both sides. then emt made it out and helped me off. poor red came by next in +25 and saw me. i managed to make it into the ambulance and felt ok holding up my right arm. was alert and i knew i broke something but was gonna have red run me to the hospital. so they took my info and carted me back to our pits. a few mins later i told red i was gonna pass out and i was out like a light. came back 1-2 mins later surrounded by people and then it was time to get hooked up to oxygen and go for an ambulance ride (sirens and lights and all). from the hospital xrays there is a chunk of humerous (upper arm) bone going the wrong directipon right next to my elbow along with some killer roadrash, scratches, and bruises. they wanted to hard cast it but i talked the small town hospital into a soft cast immobilizer for the night. tomorrow it's off to the orthopedic surgeon for a mri to check the actual damages (bone, muscle, ligaments, nerves, etc). hopefully i can avoid surgery. will know tomorrow.

time to go get a nice nights sleep in the recliner :|

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
Nikki, what a bummer right at the beginning of the season; it sounds awful... good luck with the mri and quick recovery...

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
Sorry to hear it nikki, best wishes for a quick recovery :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Very sorry about the bad luck.
Get well soon, nikki!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Get well soon Nikki.

Did Red hurt that other feller?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
:(

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Hang in there Nikki.

Look on the bright side.If you had to get hurt at least you picked a good time. This time of year the weather is pretty unpredictable, and I'll bet you'll be healed up in plenty of time for the good weather. :aj:

eng208

Nov 27, 2002
Sorry to hear about your arm. It makes me mad to hear about this kind of stuff happening. You see, I am an EMT and I ride. My biggest fear on the track is exactly what happened to you, not crashing out of my own fault, but because some stupid idiot is so impatient that he/she takes me out when it is not even for a position. Am I right? I mean, you weren't even in his class were you? That is what makes the difference between a smart rider and just a straight idiot. If being in the front meant so much to him, he could have just as easily waited until the landing to try to make the pass, pulled it off, and noone would have wrecked. Take care and good luck with healing.
Chris

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Wow, Nikki, That stinks! I hope the Dr.'s can help you out. I am thinking they might want to do surgery on your arm from the location of your injury.

Well the only other question I have is...... Where did Red finish?? :p :p ;)

JK! You know it. I really hope you are at least comfortable.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Dam nikki sorry to hear this I thought thekid was in charge of breaking bones. Even with the surgery you should heal quick and be ready by the prime of the season- and just think all the experience wrenching you can get on Reds bike.
Get well soon

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Sorry to hear it. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
just rolled outta the recliner. thanks everyone for the kind wishes! red and i havent had words with the kid yet, but we got his number :debil: i have to call the doctor in an hour to get the ortho stuff scheduled for today - will update later.

chris - you're exactly right we were not in the same class so he was in 1st in 125c just impatient. but he may not have known we were in different classes...

gomer - havent inspected the bike too much but maybe just some busted up plastics (and i put shiny new stickered plastics on saturday)

mike - red still managed 5th the first moto even though he saw me getting helped off the track and my bike laying against the ambulance the rest of the moto. i did give him a lil wave as i walked off the track to let him know i was ok but he said he was still distracted.

on a positive note - someone is coming tonight to look at the 125. maybe get some cash to put towards medical bills. :silly:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Nooooooooooooo! I hope everthing heals up quick. Take care, and make sure that red dude waits on you hand and foot! ;)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Really sorry to hear about your arm, and especially the way it happened. You have youth and spunk on your side - heal quickly!

Press your ortho for a bone growth stimulator right from the get-go. I felt it made a difference in my recovery time (collarbone), but I had to wait 2 months to get it.

Wish you well in your recovery...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Darn Nikki. :( Very sorry to hear that. Hope everything turns out ok.

Ol'89r

Top Bottom