KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
I paid 550$ for each bottom. There's an EV on the bottom and a celestian (maybe wrong spelling) on the top. I don't know what they are worth but I know Boogie stuff usually holds it's value pretty well. If I got 600$ for both bottoms I would be happy. What do you think?

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
Sorry KXKen, I just spent my tax refund on a dishwasher for the wife tonight. Well... it's actually for me;)
I also just got back from the local guitar store and tried out some new amps (Line 6 to be exact) and I think I'll stick with my Laney and Tube Screamer for now. Just couldn't hear any difference in tone that would justify spending $900 bones.

Last edited:

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by Jeff Allen
Sorry KXKen, I just spent my tax refund on a dishwasher for the wife tonight. Well... it's actually for me;)
I also just got back from the local guitar store and tried out some new amps (Line 6 to be exact) and I think I'll stick with my Laney and Tube Screamer for now. Just couldn't hear any difference in tone that would justify spending $900 bones.

I was married at one time to so I understand how that thing goes.

Right now I have an old Fender Twin that I bought for almost nothing a few years ago. For as rarely as I play this thing is more than enough. Old Fenders sound great. I've got to start playing this thing again.

I wish I would've got rid of all this rack mount stuff I have a few years ago. Now nobody wants it.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Have any of you tried the Line 6 POD rack mount guitar stuff yet. I heard it kicks butt going direct and not even using a cabinet. If it's that good I would concider ditching the cabinets, I already run in ear monitoring and can hear everything I want perfectly so there would be no need for stage volume.

techman

Feb 18, 2000
It sure is neat to see other guys have taken the same path, guitars and dirt bikes. I played a lot leading to high school where hormones and "cool" dictated rock music, electric guitars, many, many dBs of ear damage (stand in front of a 4x12, run it as hard as the cones can travel and pretend you're Jimi Hendrix playing Purple Haze etc) and the required "Attemped Spinal Tap" effort at a rock band. That gave way to more pickin/singing like country and ballads, and now I'm a rarely pick it up guy. I did the bar country band thing for a while too. My favourite high school recollection was doing Van Halen's "Eruption" with my buddy on drums in a brutally reverby auditorium. Sounded great, even if a few notes were wrong. My favourite home antic was when I hooked up two 4x12's and two 2x12's to a big four 6L6 100W type tube amp (locally designed and made by a guy named Verlage, same power stage as a Hiwatt or Marshall) and had to stand in the next room with the door closed to even turn it all the way up - then I proceeded to dislodge every loose or vibrateable object in the house with a single power chord. Ah to be a young fool again! We used to do Beatles, the Who, Zeppelin, Clash, Police, Van Halen and sundry few-hits wonders songs. I'm a big Hendrix/Stevie Ray Vaughn fan and also love to marvel at how Chet Atkins does what he does.

I've always wanted a guitar synth pickup and synth, after I heard this one guy who was a total guru play a small concert. He joked that he had never seen so many people in a audience focus, stare at his left hand and concentrate so hard in his life, because we were all mesmerised by the unbelievable orchestra of sounds coming from one guy with a guitar. We appreciated the joke and lightened up a bit on the learn by seeing behaviour.

Anybody else got vintage equipment? I've got a mid 70's Fender Deluxe 20W amp, my 100W Verlage, an old Vox solid state bass amp, a 64 blonde whammy Strat, a 63 sunburst non-tremolo, and a mid-70's Ibanez 12 string acoustic. I used to have a gold hardware 67 Gibson ES345 Varitone and before that a 63 Fender Jazzmaster. My 64 has fat frets, a fat treble pickup and is my "workhorse". Love to hear what you guys run.

techman

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
I started playing with a solid state amp, then got an rp6 and did the effects thing. Eventually I reverted back to playing without the effects. The rp6 has a great tuner, and that's it's main use right now.

As far as rack vs. cabinet vs. tubes debate, this comes down to personal choice. I don't think humans are capable of making a microchip that can EXACTLY copy the sound and "warmth" of tubes. I've heard some pretty good rigs without tubes, though.

I don't play in a band, but I always though a lot of the fun of playing was feeling the energy coming out of that big cabinet behind you. For me, I wouldn't enjoy playing on stage with just headphones or an ear monitor.

Techman, my current setup (when I occasionally play) is a Les Paul or Strat into a Crate GX120C head (that's my distortion pedal), then into a JCM800 50 Watt Marshall, then back to a Mesa 4x12 cab with Vintage 30s. Tubes rule.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Personally I use

as far as stage amps go, a single 4x10 marshall top cab, I have the bottom at home and never use any more. The head is an Artist model that Marshall made which is of coarse a tube amp, I use it for powering my Marshall 9000 pre-amp in the practice room. My stage gear is the 4x10 Marshall, my rack unit which I have a Digitech 2112, a Carver 120 watt pwr amp and my wireless unit in it. I've been using it for several years and like the sounds I can get since it's a tube preamp processor but I ocassionaly have problems with the data cables so I always carry a couple of extras.

My main guitar is an Earnie Ball Music Man. I have a strat, Kramer Barretta, a couple of Charvels, and an Ibenez that I switch out for backup gtrs. I still have a few of the old stomp boxes around somewhere but I prefer having the luxery of switching many effects on or off with the push of one switch and eleminating all they extra cords and wires running all over the stage.

I guess it's like the old saying goes, "one mans trash is another mans treasure."

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by techman

Anybody else got vintage equipment? I've got a mid 70's Fender Deluxe 20W amp, my 100W Verlage, an old Vox solid state bass amp, a 64 blonde whammy Strat, a 63 sunburst non-tremolo, and a mid-70's Ibanez 12 string acoustic. I used to have a gold hardware 67 Gibson ES345 Varitone and before that a 63 Fender Jazzmaster. My 64 has fat frets, a fat treble pickup and is my "workhorse". Love to hear what you guys run.

techman [/B]

Sounds like you had some cool stuff.
This is a list of vintage stuff I've had (depending on how you want to define vintage stuff).

60s
Fender Mustang (I sold it)
Fender Princeton (I sold it to my ex. brother in law with the agreement he would sell it back when I wanted it. He wouldn't sell it back).
Orange 4x12 bottom (I still have it and I want to sell it).
Marshall 50W Head (I wish I still had this one)

70s
Gibson SG (I sold it)
Fender Telecastor (I sold it)
Fender Strat. (I sold it)
Univox (Les Paul copy) (I sold it and bought it back 20 years later) This was my first Electric Guitar.
Peavey Mace (I sold it after blowing out one of my ear drums)
Fender Twin (I still have it and love it)
Fender Princeton (Still have it and love it) If I could only get my ex. brother in law to sell me back the 60s model I had.
Mesa/Boogie Mark 2 B (not sure if this was late 70s or early 80s) (wish I still had it)

Currently I have a Fender Strat. (with the lace sensor pickups) I bought about 7 years ago. I run it threw the Fender Twin I was talking about earlier. My effects unit is a Digitech RP200 which I bought to inspire me to play more (so far it hasn't worked).

I've got a rack setup that I used a few years ago that consists of a

Sure L4 Diversity Wireless (for sale)
Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (for sale)
ADA Mp1 Pre amp (for sale but not working) want it
Alesis Quadraverb (for sale)
VHT 2150 TUBE power amp (This thing kicks a$$) ( for sale)
2 2x12 Boogie Bottoms (for sale)
MIDI Buddy MP128 (for sale)

Man I love talking about guitars and amps

:) :)

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
You guys blow me away. The only vintage piece I have is an early 60's Danelectro tube amp. Not sure on the exact date, haven't been able to find any info on it yet. From the looks of it and the age of my second cousin that I got it from, it's old.

Once in a while I get together with a buddy that plays drums and will jam for a while but that's about it, just basement stuff.

The gear I have now is an ESP Kamikaze, Kramer Hammer, 6 string acoustic and for amp I'm running a Laney GC120C with a TS9 and DOD Delay. I use the Danelectro for goofing around mostly.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Does anyone remember GK (Galien Krueger?) amps? They used to have these super small solid state amps that were amazing. I think the problem was that they simply didn't look cool. They were so small, that people could not believe the sound that came from them. I had a friend who used one and hid it behind his guitar head so no one could see it. (Image is everything) I don't remember the name of the darn things and I don't know if they still make em.

When I have time, I play on a Mesa/Boogie 50 cal. head. No effects, it's awsome. Yamaha RGZ 612 or Ibanez RG 140 , a great cheap guitar and a Takamine acoustic. Oh yeah, a GK 2x12 cabinet with celstions.

Kamikaze? Isn't that the one with a picture of an actual Japanese kamikaze pilot on the guitar? I love George Lynch.

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
Originally posted by angry jim
Kamikaze? Isn't that the one with a picture of an actual Japanese kamikaze pilot on the guitar? I love George Lynch.
Yeah that's the one, expensive sucker but it's worth every penny

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by angry jim
Does anyone remember GK (Galien Krueger?) amps? They used to have these super small solid state amps that were amazing. I think the problem was that they simply didn't look cool. They were so small, that people could not believe the sound that came from them.

I remember GK Amps. Yes they where small and maybe that was part of the reason for departure. It just wasn't the kind of sound I was looking for at the time but from what I remember it was a great amp. that was amazing for the time.

Top Bottom