Had a 99 XR600 what about the 650?

Dirtman500

Jan 8, 2004
Ok, I had a 99 XR600 and I would rate the bike as ok. I had problems with the frontend washing out in wet conditions. I ran stock tires and didn't have it long enough to need new tires. I purchased the bike new. Although weight was a factor I decided to change to a CR500 so I purchased a new CR. Now that it's 04 i'm thinking about the 04' XR 650. Can I expect anything better from the XR 650 than the XR 600? I'm sure that the Watercooled XR650R should be the cat's meow...... I hope!!! Does the XR650R have zerk fittings in the rear shock linkage? I'm looking for a bike to spend more time riding and a little less time maintaining. Motocross racing is pretty much out of the question due to my health but I love to do some fast trail riding and occasional jumps here and there. One thing that I thought would be an awsome advance on the Honda XR Models would be "Inverted Front Forks"
and a slightly better rear suspension. The XR is one of the best offroad machines but I beleive Honda could do much more with the XR line. Honda has great bikes and I will continue to purchase and ride them, tuff bikes that can take serious beatings! Any thoughts???? Thanks! :thumb:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I remember reading in one of the first mag. tests on the 650R that they made the comment "The xr650r is the best xr600r ever built...."
So even though i never rode a 600r im assuming that means if ya liked the old 600 that youll love the new 650.

My last "new" bike was my '82 XL500R, so i really had little to compare it too.
Didnt even have an interest in new scoots till i rode VD's WR250f and Beef706's CR250.
Wow! Were those really 250's?? :worship: My 500 felt like a 100 after riding those. + they could get stopped as well.

Only reason i opted for the 650 is im a hopelessly addicted "bigblock" freak, and im partially brain dead. :laugh:
(plus she may get to be road legal at some point. that 500r cant last forever i guess...) :whiner:

No grease fitting on this bike. UGH :ugg:
But tearing it down to grease probably isnt too bad. (havent done mine yet.)
It seems like a low maintenence bike though.
Good suspention, great brakes, and power?
hee hee. Like they said on that old t.v. commercial.
Try it, youll like it. :thumb:

Top Bottom