Had a trip to hospital in an air ambulance!

92_CR250_fmf

Feb 28, 2003
Hit a rut at about 10mph on my crosser this weekend & fell off. I've done this 100+ times before & usually get up, whinge & get back on the bike.

Not this time though. I fell awkwardly, landing on my right hand which bent my fingers right back flush to my hand. How they're not bust I'll never know. This allowed my head to hit the floor hard. I landed on my chin guard on my helmet (brand new Wulf jobbie too) which promptly snapped in two cutting into my chin to the bone. My chin then hit the floor causing my mouth to shut with an almighty crack (which was a rear tooth) jaring my whole head.

As soon as I hit the floor, I got up, pulled my helmet off & started swearing. I knew I had cut my chin but not how bad. My mate who was with me told me to sit down & not to touch my chin as he could see the bone, & my little cousin went to get his dad for some help, who promptly came speeding up in his sierra 4x4.

By this time I had started to feel woozey & my vision was bluring & everything looked yellow. I was helped into the car & I promptly fell unconcious.

My wife, who is a nurse, freaked, as my eyes remained open, pupil fixed & dilated & I had stopped breathing. She thought somthing big had blown in my brain & thought I was dead. She & my mate dragged me from the car, put me in the recovery position & pulled my jaw foward to open my airway. This is when I started to breath again. By slumping forward in the car, I closed my own airway off.

When I came around, I felt great. My chin hurt, but I felt fine. Untill my wife told me an ambulance was on it's way. This narked me as I thought I was fine, just passed out. It was only when she said how bad I was, I agreed to shut up & go with it. Then, it was announced, it wasn't to be a normal ambulance, it was to be the helicopter. Apparently, they didn't want to send an ambulance in a field, & the chopper was out anyway. Oh great. An air ambulance for a cut chin I thought. FFS! What an idiot!

Anyway, chopper came, landed (much to the amussement of small children) I was strapped to a spine board ER style, & whisked away to swindon casualty where they did various checks, stiched me up & sent me packing.

Stayed in bed yesterday, taking it easy today. Feeling sore & sorry for myself. I will be taking the helmet back to the shop demanding to know why a BS certified helmet cracked at such a low speed. I'm not happy about that. I've fallen harder & faster than that before & my old helmets had been fine.

Bike is ok tho, just a snapped brake lever, tho it'll take some persuasion before the missus lets me back on it again!

Just goes to show how fragile the human body is! Makes you think twice. But not for long. Gonna order a new brake lever later on today!

Gwaredd.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The bike is the easy thing to repair.  Make sure the little "Tweety" birds are not still circling around your head before you ride again.  As for the "Brain Bucket", give 'em a piece of your mind on that one.  Heal up and ride again.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
well glad to hear this is no major damage, to you that is .

around here as soon as emergency crews hear it is a motorcycle accident a helicopter is dispatched.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Interesting tale...glad you're healing and planning to get back at it! That was weird how you passed out due to your slumped head position - good thing your relatives knew to open your jaw!

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
man dude, that didn't sound like a good way to spend the day. good thing you had fast acting level headed folks with you. good luck on your recovery. btw, got any cool new scars because of it?

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
that sucks man.... I'm starting to notice a pick up of the injured roster in the last week..... Hmmm I think I'll take a couple weeks off to let this flury of injuries pass......

get well soon!!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Glad you're OK.

What's FFS? PM me if it isn't kid safe.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'm surprised they didn't call in the RAF to get you out. Just a simple little helicopter. Man, they treat you like a second rate person over there..

Oh, I forgot, the RAF is over in IRAQ. :thumb:

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Good outcome anyhow, considering.

I had a heli ride a couple years ago and COST was staggering ( on paper ). Thank god for good insurance - otherwise it would have been $4900 for a 20 minute ride. I regretted not being able to see out the window since I was strapped in the board on the floor.

Top Bottom