Had my last ride before winter today!! FUN

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
I have been lurking around here and not saying much about what I do, so here goes.

Today was my last ride for this season. We went to one of the toughest trails in lower michigan. Evart. It was 25 miles of rock, mud, slime, wet slippery tree roots and snow. I went over every log.(some in the past I would have went around) :rotfl: . I had a blast.

Today, I learned a reason why never jab your foot into the ground. No broken leg, but every time I jabbed my foot on the ground the snow would pack up on my foot peg. I rode for a couple miles wondering why I could not keep my feet on the pegs, then it dawned on me ice was building up. KEEP THE FEET ON THE PEGS.

My son, and husband rode with me. My husband broke down and it was the first time my son and I were on a trail together without dad. I must say how nice that was; my son is 23 though. He even gave me a compliment, as to how I have improved. :rotfl:

On the way home I dropped my bike off at my mechanics home for a top end rebuild. I like my bike and hated to leave it there. Hopefully when I get it back it will have more power and not leave me stranded near the top of a long sandy or rock hill.

Lou Ann

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Hey WomanRider!! I have seen you lurking in here and wondered if you were ever going to post! I am happy to see a great ride report as well! That sounded pretty technical, so my hat's off to you! :cool:

So how long have you been riding? What kind of bikes have you owned?

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
I am turning 46 next month, and started riding about 4 years ago. My first race was three years ago at a family enduro series, and I was hooked. I love to compete.

I have an XR250, my 16 year old daughter has an XR200, and my son and husband both ride CR500's. In the last three years I have tried to trail ride every weekend somewhere. I truely love it. This year I logged the most miles at over 1000 for the season. My odometer broke midway, so not sure how many exactly.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
you dropped your bike off at the mechanics? Should of made your son rebuild it for you!!! Glad you had a great ride, wish I was able to get my bike out more this year but doesnt look like its going to happen.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
My husband wanted to, but he knows 2 strokes much better than 4 strokes. The mechanic is a trusted retired long time family friend who I trust working on a 4 stoke. He did a rebuild on the XR200 for us earlier this year.

progirlz

Sep 8, 2006
I saw the first couple words of your thread...My last ride....and I thought...oh no, do I want to read this....Glad it is a good story and just for the season. So many different things to worry about riding outside of socal. Ice on footpegs! Who'da thunk? Sounds like some fun riding. Can't wait to be able to ride like that. I am so ready to try more difficult terrain. Our season is just starting out here, I hope to have great riding stories to share with you soon. Welcome to the board WomanRider.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Good read, we didn't get any snow here in Holland. We haven't ever been to Evart. My mom is two years younger than you and used to trail ride all the time w/my dad, myself and my brother. She found out last summer that she has osteoporosis and has to stop riding :(. It's kinda depressing to trail ride now, because for 5 years it was all of us as a family. I don't care for it anymore anyway...those dang trees have it out for me!

When we do go we usually go to Cedar Creek. Didn't do much trail riding this year. Our MX race series took up A LOT of our time! Then when it's almost done for the year I have to screw up my shoulder.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
WomanRider - great report! Sounds like a tough ride, glad to hear you enjoyed it so much!

Over 1000 miles for the season - I am envious! I hope someday I can log that many miles in a season!

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
MXGirl230 said:
Good read, we didn't get any snow here in Holland. We haven't ever been to Evart. My mom is two years younger than you and used to trail ride all the time w/my dad, myself and my brother. She found out last summer that she has osteoporosis and has to stop riding :(. It's kinda depressing to trail ride now, because for 5 years it was all of us as a family. I don't care for it anymore anyway...those dang trees have it out for me!

When we do go we usually go to Cedar Creek. Didn't do much trail riding this year. Our MX race series took up A LOT of our time! Then when it's almost done for the year I have to screw up my shoulder.

MXgirl230
Sorry to hear your mom can no longer ride.

The trees do not bother me, its those logs I need to learn to master.

I rode Cedar Creek once, three years ago, it was so whooped out,(28 miles of nothing but whoop) we decided to never return. This trail must get lots of use. I am sure it is nice after the groomer goes through.

Hope to see you around MI trails after your shoulder heals.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Yeah it has been pretty whooped out, good practice for MX though :)

I would probably have a problem w/logs! I think it only gets groomed once a year...they are closest to our house though and a central trail system for us and our friends from Hart/Pentwater area. So they work...like I said though great practice for MX!

We are planning on not racing as much next year, so hopefully we'll be on the trails more...course we've been saying this for 3 yrs now...We've been trying to hook up w/the Michigan Trail rider guys for awhile. Still hasn't worked out! ugh!! Someday I guess...

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Just heard the report from my mechanic. It seems I sucked sand between the carb and intake boot. It must have been happening a little over time. So a new piston, bore,a valves. I never noticed a difference in power. It was getting harder to get up huge hills though and to start. Good thing I let someone look at it. I hope to ride in Dec as long as the snow holds out, even though I did not ride in Dec last year. I can hope.

I am jealous of my Hubby, as he is going to Arizonia next week. He has a friend there who is into dirt bikes, and they are going trail riding. This will be his first time dealing with Cacti. I hope he has fun.

Last edited:

crazshane

Oct 22, 2006
Yeah I had my last run a week ago. :( Now that the summer is gone though I have snowboarding so I guess I can't complain. I'll be looking forward to getting back out there next summer. ;)

nikki420chic

Nov 9, 2006
wish my family rode with me :( :| ...im the only one in my FAMILY that has a dirt bike..besides me uncle i hardly see..other then that i dont really know anyone that rides..which sucks but eh im talking all my friends into getting one themselves :nod: ....i tryed 2 get my dad in it he says hes to old now..lol..n i asked my mom n she looked at me like i was nuts n walked away lol

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Just got my bike back today!!!!!!!! YEAH. We have lots of snow and its way to cold outside to ride now.

medwaste said:
Hi Womanrider Do you know any beginner trails in the lower michigan area?

Check out Cedar Creek near Muskegon. It has lots of whoops, and sand, but I would consider it easy. The Leetsville loop by Kalkaska is easier, still sandy. How far are you willing travel? What skill level of riders?

The first trail I ever rode was Evart. That trail is very technical. Don't be afraid to try a tougher trail, just plan to take your time on it(Hopefully you have someone along with experience). It took me forever to finish a trail at first. My husband was very patient with me when I first started riding(about three years ago). He never showed his frustration with me and always offered help. Now he just leaves me in the dust, and I am OK with it.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
nikki420chic said:
wish my family rode with me :( :| ...im the only one in my FAMILY that has a dirt bike..besides me uncle i hardly see..other then that i dont really know anyone that rides..which sucks but eh im talking all my friends into getting one themselves :nod: ....i tryed 2 get my dad in it he says hes to old now..lol..n i asked my mom n she looked at me like i was nuts n walked away lol

Thats too bad you dad thinks he too old. I don't think you are ever too old to ride or even learn to ride. I learned at an old age.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
crazshane said:
Yeah I had my last run a week ago. :( Now that the summer is gone though I have snowboarding so I guess I can't complain. I'll be looking forward to getting back out there next summer. ;)

I wish I was into winter sports. I like to crosscountry ski, but do not own any nor have anyone willing to join me. Anyway have fun snowboarding.

Somehow I do not think next spring/summer can come fast enough.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
WomanRider where are you located? The cross country skiing trails here in Holland have rental equipment. It's pretty cheap too.

Spring/summer will never come fast enough...

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
cedar creek trails

thanks womanrider.I'll check out the trails next season. I am so new to the sport I don't even consider myself to be a beginner but I've got a big backyard, time to learn and I love it. If anyone wants to stop by, I'll take you though my woods... slowly.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
MXGirl230 said:
WomanRider where are you located? The cross country skiing trails here in Holland have rental equipment. It's pretty cheap too.

Spring/summer will never come fast enough...

I am located 30 minutes north east of GR. I wonder if there are any trails closer that offer rentals.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Great ride report WomanRider! Welcome to the site. Lots of new women in here lately, that's cool!

I liked the part about the compliment from your son - this past summer my son (14 yo) informed me that I was a LOT faster now. I think that was the best compliment I've ever received.

We put our bikes away for now too. Had the snowmobiles out for a couple good runs then the snow melted too much so we are just doing maintenance on the toys waiting and hoping for more snow. I still prefer dirtbikes but a girl's gotta do something to keep busy so sledding it is.

Snow can be fun to ride in but it usually comes with some surprises! I've had some of my most spectacular crashes in the snow.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
Thanks bbbom

The snow has all melted here for now, and I have my bike back and fixed. I am planning on finding some dirt this weekend.

I am not into snow sports like I should be for living in Michigan. So dirt herre I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Womanrider, Hope you find some dirt this weekend and your bike runs smooth. The melted snow left a mudmess behind my house but I rode on it one more time anyway. Had to try out my first pair of boots. Only 12 more weeks of winter and I'm counting them down.

Top Bottom