bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
;)

How do you women with longer hair protect it from getting chewed up by your helmet?

I have always had long hair but over the last few years, my helmets (dirt, street, snow & MTB) have broken it off so bad it looks like it's layered and not by a professional.

I finally chopped it all off above my shoulders and I don't like it!!! I can't tie it up in a ponytail and it bugs me when it gets in my face.

I have tried french braids, regular braids, ponytails etc. but with all of the different methods of tying it back it ends up squashed down into a tight little braid within a few hours of riding!!

I have also noticed that the foam insert in my helmet grabs the hair & pulls it out so that doesn't help either. Rubbing between the helmet and my coat collar & chest protector doesn't help either so I need to tie it back (well as soon as it grows out more!).

Is there anything out there that I could line the inside of the helmet with and tie my hair back?

I want to grow it out again but if I can't stop it from breaking off then I'm going with the Susan Powter look!!! (hey, then I would look like pinball!!!!) :laugh:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
bbbom, I'm sure your new 'do looks just fine!  Try setting it in hot rollers for a couple of minutes right after you dry it.

I use a Scrunchie and leave it right below and outside of the helmet line.  Now that your hair is shorter, try using a wide and flat barrett with the bulk of your hair inside your helmet maybe?  Or a 'doo-rag?

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Not sure why your hair is breaking off though.....Try changing products? Try Pantene ProV?

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Have you tried a 'do-rag'? (I'll bet you can find one to match your purty bike. ;) ) I know they make them thin enough so your helmet will still fit. When I can remember to wear mine it helps. Your hair ends up looking mashed, but the trade off is it won't get chewed. Good luck, chica. :thumb:

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Originally posted by GETMETOCA
Try setting it in hot rollers for a couple of minutes right after you dry it.

That's why I've always had straight long hair - no muss no fuss, wash it, comb it & hit the road. Short hair is too much work for me.

I think it may be my well water - very low PH. Might have to get a water treatment system probably would stop my fixtures from melting into the sink too, nasty green rings!!

I'm looking for a do-rag made of silk or something similar - cotton seems to be too rough.

bratt

Pain in da butt
Mar 22, 2002
Try two braided pig tails. I have shoulder length hair right now and this seems to work out pretty well. Previously my hair was too short for one pony tail and thats when I discovered I could still part it in the middle and wear pig tails, unbraided at first.

Also if you are looking for a no fuss styles with the short hair. Try using a pomade or a texturizer. Rub some of that in your hair and ta da the touseled, sexy look. Prep time 5 minutes.

ChknLittle

~SPONSOR~
Nov 7, 2003
Hubby LOVES my pigtails! :)

Wear 'em very low or your helmet will push down on the rubber bands and give you a headache (even when you don't think it's pushing).

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Bbbom, you have fine hair like I do. My shorter hair definitely seems to help, but I went shorter than you did, and it's definitely higher maintenance. It now involves mousse, hair dryer, round brush, hot roller, curling iron, spiking gel and wax . . . anyway, I think Diane's idea of a do-rag is the best. I started wearing one quite a while ago and they do help quite a bit . . . and they also help cut down on helmet odor too.

KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
Umm can anyone tell me what a "do" rag is?

and has anyone got any suggestions for keeping fringes out of the way and how do those girls keep their hair looking reasonable under the helmet?

When I take my helmet off (and I have long hair in a pony tail) is is sticking up and knotted ever where, I give new meaning to the afro!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Do rag is a bandanna or scarf tied around your head like a pirate.

By "fringe" I'm going to assume you mean "bangs?" Short hair hanging over your forehead? What I usually do is put my head into my helmet forehead-first, then pull the helmet down and back, and the helmet pushes the bangs up and back and keeps them there.

As for tangled hair, that is exactly why we're discussing do-rags and stuff. There really aren't many alternatives.

KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
Yep fringe meaning the bit on your forehead! Never heard it called bangs before!

Bandanna sounds a good idea.
If I tuck my fringe up in the helmet it sticks straight up in the air for the rest of the day and is too long to have it sit flat like it is meant to cause the helmet makes it longer and then its in my airs. 2 girls rode at the track on the weekend and both their hair which is similar to mine sat perfectly, Id love to know their secret

RockyRoads

Sponsoring Member
Aug 28, 2003
KDXgirl--If you find out the secret of the two girls with fringe, PLEASE let me know! I have bangs that, like yours, will either flatten out and get in my eyes, or if I tuck them up into my helmet, they will stick out once the helmet comes off. So attractive. I usually don't care what I look like when I'm riding--however, I actually had a guy that I was parked next to tell me that having my bangs down in my eyes made me look "frazzled". I just laughed it off (but, the nerve!). :| Anyway, I haven't quite figured out how not to have "helmet hair" after riding. I usually wear the long part up in a pony tail on top of my head, off center so that the pony tail holder hits an open space in my helmet and doesn't dig into my head. I don't have any problems with breakage--just the squashed (and apparently "frazzled") look with my bangs.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by RockyRoads
I actually had a guy that I was parked next to tell me that having my bangs down in my eyes made me look "frazzled". I just laughed it off (but, the nerve!). 

TOO FUNNY!!  I can't believe the nerve of that guy!  I had a job feeding dairy calves at 4 a.m. and one of the milkers noted that I looked......"rough" as he put it.....I didn't brush my hair or put on lip gloss that morning, yanno, saving the bling for when I took a shower.  I'm sure the calves were appalled as well. :silly:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by GETMETOCA

TOO FUNNY!!  I can't believe the nerve of that guy!  I had a job feeding dairy calves at 4 a.m. and one of the milkers noted that I looked......"rough" as he put it.....I didn't brush my hair or put on lip gloss that morning, yanno, saving the bling for when I took a shower.  I'm sure the calves were appalled as well. :silly:

The nerve is right! I doubt he was any kind of Spring Chicken himself. As for the cows they do tend to get particular about such things. Next time you should really keep their feelings in mind Nat. :confused:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
http://www.whitehorsepress.com/onlinecatalog/sections/proddata/hg.htm

Don't know if it works or not, but maybe worth a shot? I know when my hair was longer I'd tried just about everything & then decided short was the way to go - only problem is getting organised enough to get it trimmed regularly, but if I go within a year, it'd be amazing (my hairdresser is selling the business so I must get there before she does quit). Henk basically got sick of spending a couple of hours a month trying to get the knots out, as I never could, but with a ponytail I was able to hide them lol

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
My hair used to be layered, and it seemed as though only the short parts of my hair were what used to get tangled.

Now that I have grown my hair out--all except for some whispy bangs, I don't get tangles anymore. I simply braid my hair in a tight ponytail until I'm done riding. Personally, for me, I have found it healthier & easier to keep my hair long rather than short for our sport, but I am sure it depends on the texture of one's hair also.

Maybe your cosmetologist could give you some helpful tips for your particular hair type or needs?

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
A do-rag will work fine for this problem. I've used a do-rag for softball also. I usually make a freind put mad tiny little braids in my hair, or have corn-rows put in though. Works great for me, and my hair is not fun to take care of. Long, blonde, striaght, fine hair. Cant do to much with it.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
I've pretty much given up on having decent hair after I ride.  I just try to remember to bring a hat with me.  "It's to protect from the sun".  Yeah..that's it. :confused:   Because if there's anything worse than long, blonde, fine, straight, hair it's long, blonde, fine, CURLY hair.  Naturally curly = naturally frizzy.  A little riding, a little sweating, a little mud and forget it.   I'll brush out the back, and then throw a hat on to cover up the bangs which are pointing every which way.

If I'm casually riding, I'll just tie the back in a pony tail.  If I'm going out for an enduro or all day ride, I'll braid it.  The braid is much easier to comb out afterwards, and doesn't collect little mud balls as easily as a loose ponytail.  Haven't tried a do-rag.  My head sweats enough as it is, I don't know that I'd want another layer trapping heat.

I haven't really had any problems with breakage, but then again we have a water softening system in our house, which may help.  I use conditioner every day as well.   

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
I'm with you - I probably wear a helmet of some sort 3-5 times a week most of the year and I can tell it has an effect. I have really long hair (to my lower back/butt) and put it in pigtail braids. The thing that seems to help me most with preventing breakage is brushing in some sort of leave-in conditioner/protectant/etc. as I'm braiding it. I have some Beach Blonde stuff that has SPF in it and it seems to help hold the braids together better and keep hair from breaking. I'm not into taking extra time for many things, but that's one thing that's super quick and I can do it in the truck if I'm not driving.

Moto'n Mama

~SPONSOR~
Nov 14, 2003
This is funny but a seroius problem for me not to long ago! I went to my beautician(sp?) 4 months ago and she had a heck of time trying to comb out my rats - even with the majic she had in the bottles on her shelves. She asked in a discusted manner what brand of shampoo I've been using? It was a grocery store brand but one of the most expensive ones there. So she practically donated (seriously discounted) about $60 of shampoo and conditioner to me. I took it home and not only did I notice that my hair was actually managable right away but after a month, my previously broken, shaggy looking long blond hair was starting to achieve its golden, smooth shine again! Now all my fly aways are gone (except just after drying with blowdryer) and I put my hair through the test on dirtbikes, sleds and jetskies all year long.

So the shampoo and conditioner was my answer to keeping my long blond hair managble and looking healthy - even when its not styled. I use Pure Hair but I think Aveda is probably similar.

Also, make sure your eating a well balanced diet and taking good vitamins. I notice that my hair grows faster on them. Twin Lab and GNC are two good brands.

Moto'n Mama

~SPONSOR~
Nov 14, 2003
Oh - and on the sledding thing: I actually found that if you allow your hair to snoball up it stays as is the whole time you ride becasue its frozen together. Then, you just let it thaw out and totally dry before you touch it. I usually dont end up with too many tangles that way.

Jetskiing creates the biggest hair problems for me. If I actually bring conditioner to the lake and put a little in before I ride and maybe more after, it helps out alot! I always have to let it totally dry before I comb it though - that seems to really reduce the breakage.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Hey Moto N Mama, welcome to the site!

Jetskiing is definitely the worst on the hair but since I don't wear a helmet on the ski, unless we are riding the river, I can braid it without it knotting up.

I take a good multi-vitamin when I can remember maybe I'll try to remember more but at my age my memory is starting to fade. Actually, it's been faded for years, I just keep forgetting that it was.

I use the beauty salon stuff too but I think my water is causing problems and I know it's eating away at the fixtures so I want to get a treatment system but it will be awhile.

In the meantime, I'll take my vitamins, eat better, use the good stuff on the hair, wear a do-rag and see if it will help. If not then it's the short short cut next!!

What kind of sled/ski/bike do you ride down south?

Hey, no fair sneaking in as someone else Sarah!!! I just checked your profile & saw who you really are! :) Welcome BACK! :thumb:

Last edited:
Top Bottom