half grip throttle

motown49er

Nov 26, 2007
has anyone seen a throttle grip that only twists on the inner half and is non twist on the outer half? i have a problem with using the front brake and not fully releasing the throttle, thought something like this might help.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Never heard of one. Doesn't sound like a good idea, though. A grip shift is one thing where you don't change it that often, but you are constantly changing throttle position. Plus, it is one more place for dirt to enter and create the possibility of a binding throttle...not good.

How many fingers, and which one(s), do you use for the front brake?

Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
How is this a problem? I cant think of a situation where your going to be wide open throttle and want to use the front break without letting off? Using it in a rut perhaps, but you only lightly drag it and usually your not full on the gas at the same time.
Perhaps your hands are a little smaller than average, have you tried adjusting your lever closer to the bar?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
Never heard of one.
How many fingers, and which one(s), do you use for the front brake?

There ya go. That Gomer fella really knows his stuff:cool: Just use one or two fingers on the front brake. This will free up the rest of your fingers to grip the bars. If you use all of your fingers on the brake lever, you can't release the lever if your start to fall or get in a bad situation because you will naturally want to grip tighter.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
When you practice, try leaving your index and middle finger on the levers. Adjust them, get a different bend, or length levers. Whoops and some jumps is all for the full knuckled death grip!

jim f.

Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 2, 2005
I have done it and my son always rides with it, just cut throttle tube and use a atv or bicycle grip (cut down)on rest of bar. use a gripshift washer between throttle tube and new grip to keep out dirt. I liked that setup but I went to a full throttle tube because sometimes we switch bikes.

motown49er

Nov 26, 2007
thanks that is what i was planning on doing,you must of understood what i ment, i come into corners let off throttle but sometimes i pull the front brake before the throttle is all the way released not a good thing, 2 dislocated fingers,i only flat track and ice race so not worried about jumps and stuff just thought this might work. now i know its been tried so i figure it cant hurt to try.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I would also advise on changing your braking technique instead of changing that throttle tube.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…