JasonKDX

Mar 16, 2002
I went riding for the first time in about a year on Saturday. Mostly woods/big trails....in 3rd - 5th gear. One thing I ended up with (which I've never had this bad in the past) was a constant wicked hand cramp in my throttle hand. I had to stop a few times, take a 5 minute break, then I'd be fine for about 20 minutes.

What am I doing wrong? This has never happened before. I think it's because I chose to ride easier trails so I could work on my riding technique, and tried to keep "elbows up" the whole time, but I'm not sure. Anyone have a thought on this? Thanks!
Jason

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Your probably holding on way to tight. Just try and relax, seeing that its your first ride in a while, you might have been really pumped up. The only time I get hand pump is when I'm doing big long technical uphills.

JasonKDX

Mar 16, 2002
Good though. I was REALLY pumped up! It's been close to a year since I've last ridden, and I was ready to go on Sarturday :-)

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
This happens to me almost every ride. I usually catch myself holding on too tight at the beginning of the ride. After I warm up and get comfortable it goes away. I also suggest plenty of water and potassium(banana) before the ride this has been helping me latley.

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
Hey jason, I feel your pain, I have a 2002 cr125 and weigh 130 and I rode my first race with the stock suspension. I doubt I used 1/4th of the travel! Man I pumped and cramped up sooo fast, it took all of my strength just to keep the bike under control, plus I had massive butt puckering from the headshake on the straights! I almost crashed like 5 times during practice because entering corners my hands would cramp from the braking bumps and then I wouldn't be able to grab the levers! Well I fixed every single one of these problems by swapping out the stock springs for the correct rate for my weight. Now I have no problem with cramping or pumping up or headshake. Oh yeah and drink lots of sports drinks to keep your electrolytes up! If it was hot out you were probably getting heat cramps from dehydration.

Top Bottom