hand grips slipping (any suggestions??)

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
does anyone have ways to keep hand grips from sliding. i've tried hand grip glue and also some other glue like a bond all type glue or whatever..they keep getting loose and really making it hard to race...just wondering if theres and suggestions out there, i use pro grip hand grips.

xxBLAZExx

Jun 18, 2006
Clear spray paint!

I use clear spray paint. Just coat the left bar and the inside of the left grip..let dry...then spray 1 more light coat on the left bar and grip then slide on position and let dry. The right side is pretty much the same but you have to be careful not to get the paint inside the throttle tube.(a little is ok but too much might make it stick!) :cool:

xxBLAZExx

Jun 18, 2006
psustang89 said:
Put a few pieces of wire around each grip and twist them with pliers. Works like a charm. Some grips even have grooves for the wires.

Sounds like a good idea. :cool:
(how do you keep the ends of the wire from cutting you?)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
xxBLAZExx said:
Sounds like a good idea. :cool:
(how do you keep the ends of the wire from cutting you?)

I always safety wire my grips, usually put 3-5 strands on each grip. MSR sells a cool twister tool:

http://www.msrhp.com/ - click tools (at top) and wire twister (on the left)

You twist until tight, cut the excess, and tuck the twisted part into the grip with the plier ends, so the sharp part is shoved into the grip itself. Then there is no chance of snagging the wire with your hand.

hks308

Mod Ban
Jun 4, 2006
nikki said:
I always safety wire my grips, usually put 3-5 strands on each grip. MSR sells a cool twister tool:

http://www.msrhp.com/ - click tools (at top) and wire twister (on the left)

You twist until tight, cut the excess, and tuck the twisted part into the grip with the plier ends, so the sharp part is shoved into the grip itself. Then there is no chance of snagging the wire with your hand.

yea, that is exactly what i do, and once they are on, they ain't moving anywhere.

yellowbeard

Mar 23, 2006
I have always used womens hairspray it lets the grip slide on easy when it's still wet but when it dries in afew mins. it sets up like locktite. but later if you need to change grips you can still get the old one off. works for me

xxBLAZExx

Jun 18, 2006
yellowbeard said:
I have always used womens hairspray it lets the grip slide on easy when it's still wet but when it dries in afew mins. it sets up like locktite. but later if you need to change grips you can still get the old one off. works for me

Clear spray paint and womens hairspray surprisingly have alot of the same ingredients! :whoa: :coocoo:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Badgadjit1 said:
does anyone have ways to keep hand grips from sliding. i've tried hand grip glue and also some other glue like a bond all type glue or whatever..they keep getting loose and really making it hard to race...just wondering if theres and suggestions out there, i use pro grip hand grips.
If you are using grip glue and they are still getting loose then you aren't using the glue right. Make sure the bar and the inside of the grips are clean and dry. Follow the instructions and make sure you let them dry at least 12 to 24 hours.

Personally I don't use glue because it's a pain to remove worn grips (when they are glued on correctty!!). I use safety wire like Nikki.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'll echo what others have said. Spray paint and safety wire.

grips are never hard to remove. Just take a utility knife to them and poof, they are gone.

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
yeah the saftey wire is used a lot in aircraft. ( my brothers an aircraft mechanic so i always use his) Basically in the ends of every bolt there is holes then the wire is threaded between two or more bolts. That way they cant come loose or if one tries to come loose it tightens the other bolt its attached to. Just thought you would find that interesting

Top Bottom