mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
I need to get some hand guards. Which ones fit the KDX well, and how much? I would like some similar in overall size or smaller than the stockers, but with a rigid bar end mount. Thanks.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I used the Fredette bark busters (aluminum guards) and plastic hand guards. The aluminum guards are really stout, already had to use them once :scream: and everything worked out well.

Only complaints:
- instructions don't tell you how to install in stock bars.
- no pre-drilled holes in the aluminum for the plastic guards (but they did provide a drill bit for this purpose).
- pictures would have helped a lot for a newbie like me...
- not a custom fit...the instructions recommend bending the aluminum as necessary to get a good fit.

Overall, the FRP products are good and I recommend them. About $80 for everything (aluminum and plastic guards), including S&H.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I use aluminum Moose guards and Enduro Engineering plastic guards on the inside. I like the set-up because the guards are strong and the plastic mounts inside so it won't be damaged during intimate enounters with trees.
However, as long as you get a strong aluminum guard that is designed to glance off of trees you will be fine. It will force you to cut your levers off, but you will adapt quickly.

Hey, what's more important? Full length fingers or levers??
JCW

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I use Acrebis "bark busters" also. Best money you can spend for protection Factory 909 makes gaurds for most bikes too.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
It will force you to cut your levers off, but you will adapt quickly.

Why would you have to cut your levers?

I feel my bars are so much stronger since I added the bark busters! I've hit many trees and a couple of boulders head on with no more lever breakage and no bent bars:thumb:
I paid $15 for mine on ebay w/shipping

Attachments

• protaperbark.jpg
    protaperbark.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 196

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
I've been running the Acerbis rally guards on my KDX's for about 5 years now. i used to run the alluminum guards on my YZ, but a few of the guys at the HS and GNCC's that I race told me stories of breaking hands and wrists after hitting trees at speed (they said that the Al alloy on the Acerbis Rally-Pro was to rigid, upon impact their metacarpals folded around the bar), they suggested the all-plastic rally's. My parts guy (KTM racer) told me the same story, and my neighbor (2nd place 1985 Blackwater 100, 250 4-stroke) told me stories of the bark-busters folding back and breaking wrists during impacts. I think that there has been a dramatic improvement in handguard tecnology since 1985, but I hit ALOT of trees and the plastic rally's have never let me down. I still have the same levers and perches that were on the day I put the guards on. If you ride year-round in an area that gets all 4 seasons, you will want the spoilers (they keep alot of mud off the grips, and help keep the wind off in sub-0 temps) and I have had to replace those a few times. I never had any trouble with the bars bending (AND I CRASH HARD), but I use rubber mounts, which have a little give. One of my KTM riding buddies had the Al guards, went down hard, and the bars simply bent between the mounting bracket of the bars and the inside mounting bracket of the guard. I think that the Al alloy guards look better (especially the Cycra's), I guess it just depends on how often and how hard you hit trees.
Best of luck, never stop riding!!!
-Nick

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I kept breaking my plastic guards (think they were UFO, but not sure), so went with the metal insert ones & they're fine (except I keep bending them in).
I keep hearing stories about broken wrists from them, but have yet to meet someone who's done it. One person I know had the plastic insert ones & hit a branch, which smashed through the guards, pulling in his clutch/brake lever (can't remember which side) causing him to go over the bars & break his shoulder. Sorry, but I'll stick to my Rally Pro's with metal inserts.

Oh, I managed to break a brake lever last weekend - hit the ground & the damn ball fell off - guess it was metal fatigue lol

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
Do you have to cut off your brake and clutch handles for them to fit? I have one with standard and one with 909 handlebars so do I have to order different handlebar inserts?
tom

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
I have the acrebis rally guards and like them a lot. I like the look of the enduro engineering ones better but have never been able to get them to fit right without cutting the levers. (Aren't they there to save the levers? Not facilitate their cutting?) Never break levers anymore. I did bend my handlebars when I laid it down at about 20 mph and slid into a tree but that was the worst wreck I ever had. (needed to get a new helmet after that one)
My bro had the plastic ones on his old bike and he broke them though they were stout for lesser falls. THE BEST are from Summers Racing (dont know if he makes them for the KDX yet) and they mount from the bar end to the triple clamp. My brother now has those on his 650 and stock bars and they will take any impact.
Bottom line: get some if you ride trails, a friend of a friend had the end of his finger cut off when it was squished between the grip and lever upon impact with a tree. Doctors couldn't put it back on.
-John

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by KDXNick
(they said that the Al alloy on the Acerbis Rally-Pro was to rigid, upon impact their metacarpals folded around the bar), they suggested the all-plastic rally's.

I wasted my money on these the first time. Every time the bike fell over they would bend. I mean it got to the point, they started to bow inward. The aluminum is too soft. They must be using the soft 2024 crap.

I then got a pair of Moose H-Guards, man do these things hold up. I'm not into smacking trees like youse guys, but mine hits the ground and whatever else I can find.

I have managed to bend the throttle side, but only slightly. It's only noticeable when you take it off. I can tell you if you put a GOOD pair of guards on, you WON'T be replacing levers again.

Also, I'm on my second pair of deflectors if that's any indication of the amount of riding and wreckin'. :laugh:

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
re: cutting levers?

I have no idea what youse guys are thinkin'. All you have to do is to move in the clutch and brake levers a little bit. :think:

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
AAh but then you have to move your throttle tube in to keep the lever from interfering and then you have a gap between the throttle tube and handguard and your hands are different distances from the center. Been there done that and I didn't like it.
-John

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I like the Acrebis rally guards. The fact that they provide some give on impact, but don't break is a plus. I've hit all sorts of stuff and my hands have never been injured or crushed. With that said, I have broken some levers and perches.

I didn't have to shorten the levers, however if you cut your bars down I would think that you would need to shorten the levers.

mnnthbx, there are a lot of good and valid opinions here. The choice is yours.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
With my FRP handsavers (aluminum) and plastic inserts, I definitely had to cut the ends off of the levers. Without the plastic I could have made it OK without cutting, but the ends of the levers got in the way when I tried to attach the plastic inserts.

The FRP instructions even mention that the levers may need to be trimmed to get their handsavers to fit.

Oh well, with the plastic inserts in place you can't tell that the levers aren't "even" with the aluminum guards...

FWIW, I fell recently and scratched the right handsaver, but there was no dent or bend at all.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
If you have short or shortened bars then you have to cut the clutch lever. Well just the ball end anyways. Makes for a better lever anyways.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
After looking around, I believe I'll go with the rally brush. I'm a wuss, and don't plan on running into a plethora of trees. (I realize no one plans on it).

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Hey, whatever works, do it. I cut the levers because my bark busters are angled in pretty strong to slide off of trees. In addition, if you ride in tight woods and cut your bars down (mine are 28" from the original 32"), the levers are a little long. I'm used to cut down levers and personally I like it. Full length levers tend to catch vines and bushes in the terrain I ride in. Consider the front brake. I use one finger on that lever. I don't need it to be 6" long.

There's no right answer on this one. Do what works for you. I love the different opinions. It's nice to hear other ideas.
JCW

jfgviper9

Oct 18, 2002
I also have shortened bars for New England woods riding and I had to cut my levers for the enduro engineering aluminum guards...If you dont want to cut your levers get shorty ones. I agree with JCW...who needs an eight inch long lever any ways?

Top Bottom