Hand signals while riding when your the leader

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
When I give the number signal I immediatly point behind me with my thumb. I find that most people catch on once you motion behind you.

Another signal I use is a raised hand/arm above my head to get the attention of the rider behind me if a dangerous obstacle is approaching, such as a drop-off or hidden ditch. :eek:

techman

Feb 18, 2000
I've seen and heard lots of lost rider stories. The usual cause is guys getting into a give-er race/chase mode, wherein not letting the guy ahead get even a bike length away from you completely obliterates any recollection that someone is behind you - until you stop and wonder what happened to him and why he isn't behind you. God bless competitive egos. I've seen stop-at-intersection rules and rotating person-signpost methods that work ok if done consistently. As for oncoming traffic, the finger count is the sled method and the back-pointing thumb is intuitive enough for unaccustomed people or for those who have brain-numbness from excessive trail pounding.

Brake lights and a big slowdown are the best warning I know for telling the guys behind you there's a nasty on the trail. It's a physical message because you actually get in the guy's way and make him slow down. Now, if competitive egos make him blast by you, it's time to explain to him that racing is not always good, you slowed down for a reason, and you'd rather not watch him endo etc and scrape him up off the ground. One time an unexpected attempted pass on a mountain switchback almost put a guy over the edge - the passer, not the passee. Would've been copter-medics paraplegic time. God bless competitive egos...

I think oncoming and lost riders are just perpetual problems that will never really have a solution, just varying degrees of mitigation. Call me a cynic, but I believe this will ring true with a lot of folks.

Both!! :ugg: and :flame:

If you're gonne race, make it clear before the ride starts that you're dumping anyone who can't keep up, so they don't feel bad when lost and left to continue their own ride. Of course the ones who do the dumping generally blame the lost people for not keeping up and have no guilt over it, unless a smidgen of responsibility for the group peeks over the left shoulder and outshouts the ego gremlin on the right shoulder.

Flaming over now. :cool: There's good points in the methods mentioned in this thread.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Ill admit I tend to ride the person in front but thats so I dont end up taking a wrong turn and end up in nowhere land. However I still try and keep an eye on the guy behind me. Usually Ill just pull over and wait after a short jaunt or at a trail crossing of some sort. Although I always try and use the hand signals. I figure its just a good common courtesy that may prevent an accident. Ive seen first hand what can happen when someone gets teeboned on a trail and its not a pretty sight.

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Our riding groups have a tendency to reall spread out in the woods so the lead will stop every 5 or 10 min OR at every intersection, we usually have both 2 and 4 wheeled riders with a wide range of experience but one thing that we always do to is put an experienced rider in the sweep position who stays with the slowest rider and knows the trail as well...generally we rotate this position so everyone gets their chance to fly for a bit then sweep for a bit. Once in a while a couple of faster guys might start racing for fun but the above rules still apply about stopping every 5 or 10 min

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by RM_guy
I'm guilty of not signalling how many riders are behind me...never actually thought about it. It sounds like a real good idea and I'll do it from now on. The only problem is if the oncoming traffic doesn't understand the signal. At least I'd be doing my part.
If everyone in your group is doing it, the other riders will get the picture. The HS ride mostly one way, single track and this isn't much of an issue but this is a great thread. Riding is inherently hazardous and anything that reduces risk is a good thing. :cool:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
On our large group rides we tell every rider it is his responsibility to make sure the rider behind him sees the trail he takes at every intersection.
Of course this doesn't always work when you're trying not to let the rider ahead of you get away, but at least it gets everyone thinking about keeping someone from getting lost, and we do stop every couple of miles to count heads!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
If you forget how many people are behind you, this signal might help (Thanks, JP!):

Attachments

• a hand.jpg
    a hand.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 110

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
That pic reminds me of a Saturday morning toy commercial I watched as a kid. The toy was a multi-purpose "extra" finger that could shoot, etc.

"Six finger, six finger - man alive.
How did I ever get along with five?"

Consider yourself fortunate if your not old enough to remember this. :confused:

danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
I can definately vouch for hand signals of how many riders are following. On the last Memorial Day Weekend I was on the East Fork Rock trails in Central Oregon and passed a Honda CR250 on the trail that was flying. I held up my hand but he didn't even aknowledge me being there. I creep forward about 20 more feet and I see another rider barreling around this birm doing about 20-30 mph. He sees me and locks up his brakes with 10 feet between us and we are both in a head on collision. His bike ends up 30 feet off the trail into some trees, and mine is layed over on the trail. He picks his bike up and its fine, me? I look at my handlebars and see that they are bent, then upon further inspection I see that my top triple clamp is completely severed in half! The guy who hit me didn't have much to say, maybe a sorry then rode off. Me, I had 9 miles back to camp to ride with bent handlebars and a broken triple clamp. Sorry my WebCam bites.

Well, I thought I compressed it, it's down to 5K, but it still won't show, what do I have to do?

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Compress the pic before you try to post it danjerman! You have to do that so we can see it. If you want to post a link that would be better!

Phillip

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
heck i live in sled country and bet 9 out of 10 dirtbikers ride sleds.not once have i gotten a signal,nor does it seem they understand what they r when given,i just get a wave too, sheeesh.i see mostly quads and usually those heinous beasts r in the middle of the trail anyhow so where ya goin.i've had my share of almosts.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
as a heartland spode member..............they keep me from getting lost or behind by putting me close to the front. that way the leader is the only one looking over his shoulder. i dont have to worry about getting lost ......just keeping up. we use the hand signals on mountain bikes, especially on out and back trails.

Top Bottom