sixds

Mar 25, 2007
rip on it more, lean and pull back and get weight off the front end.

thats just going to make the front more unstable. thats usually what happens when my front wheel starts dodging back and forth.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
It's headshake (as stated above). Easiest fixes are to run more sag out back, lower your forks in your triple clamps or tighten your steering nut. Best fix is to get your suspension sorted out and add a steering damper.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
sixds said:
thats just going to make the front more unstable. .

aaaaaaaaaa not if you lean back and give it a little throttle so the front end is no longer touching the ground it will be stable then

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Dracus124 said:
learn to handle the unexpected...
Wow, that's deep.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
sixds said:
well yeah, but i dont know anyone that can keep the front end a few inches off the ground for a mile or two.
I think I once saw a post where someone said they saw Pred do it, but then he has also been labled as the Sasquatch. :laugh:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The Scotts damper is $350 US, plus you need a mounting kit. Talk to BRP (www.brpit.com), they can set you up with one. I got a Scotts damper, top triple clamp, SUB mount, and bolt on post for $620 USD. I'm extremely happy with my setup and can't imagine riding without one now.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Getting the suspension set up properly is key.

Headshake is usually caused by too steep of a steering head angle, causing the bike to be unstable. There are many variables that can cause head shake.
  • Fork springs too soft (too much sag)
  • Fork compression too soft/rebound too stiff (rides low when hitting bumps)
  • Shock spring too stiff
  • Too much preload on the shock (not enough sag)
  • So basically any overall suspension imbalance that causes the rear end to ride higher than the front.
  • Front tire pressure and condition of the tire also comes into play. Low pressure or a beat down sidewall will cause lots of flex and also head shake.
  • Headset bearings, loose or worn, can cause head shake.
  • Loose front wheel bearings can also add to the problem.
  • Riding style can also add to head shake, like getting way up front on the bike in choppy high speed stuff

My personal experience is to get your weight back and hammer the gas when head shake starts. This loads the rear end and raises the front, pulling the head tube angle back into a more stable geometry.

I had a 1994 YZ125 that only suffered head shake when getting on the brakes with my weight towards the front of the bike. No amount of changes would cure it, so I just had to adapt my riding style. It wasn't a common occurance, and only happened on high speed trails.

I also had a 1999 KX125 that had HORRIBLE head shake on the first ride out. Turns out the previous owner had cranked the preload on the shock. With my 180+ lb butt on the bike it had under 2" of sag. I should have checked before ever heading to the trail. Setting the sag ALMOST completely cured the problem. Getting rid of the dry rotted 8 year old original tire did the trick.

The point I am trying to make here is that you should make sure your bike is in good working order and setup properly before throwing money at a steering damper to mask some other problem.

mx4life

Feb 8, 2007
thank you adam for your input...

how much do you think Canadian would it be to get the suspension done by a pro? like tuning and setting sag and all

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
If your getting headshake (which can lead to a tank slapper - the bars going from lock to lock rapidly) the immediate solution is definitely to get on the gas and lighten the front end. Putting more weight on the front end by either shifting your weight, getting off the throttle, or applying brakes will all make it worse. The list above is a good list of the causes of headshake. I would add the worn swingarm bearings (or bushing) can cause it as well.

Top Bottom