Handlebar Preferences?

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I think all bars would work equally well...it is more a preference for brand and bar style than "bar for a certain bike".

I replaced my stock bars after I messed them up trying to put Fredette barkbusters on them. I didn't think the Renthals would be worth the extra $$, so I got some aluminum MSR "CR Hi Bend" bars for about $35, and they have worked great so far.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
Pro Taper, or Renthal FatBars for about 70-80$ are DEFINATELY worth the money. The do not bend. I have smashed a radiator, and ruined 2 pairs of bar mounts, and my bars are still not bent at all. Spend the money on 1 1/8" Fat Bars or Pro Tapers (BTW, these are the ones without the crossbar) and you will have them for an extremely long time.

:aj: :)

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
KDXFreestyle said:
I have smashed a radiator, and ruined 2 pairs of bar mounts, and my bars are still not bent at all.

WOW..... maybe I should quit buying those $9.99 steel Moose bars.... but even having bent 2 sets I still am no where near the price of a set of oversized.... interesting though, maybe I'll switch next time (except then I'll need new clamps too.... $$$).... :ugg:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Were you able to get thru the ride with the bent bars or was that the end of the day? There's more to having bars that won't (likely) bend than just the cost.

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
you are very correct.... my post is serious, I am going to give some thought to the oversized bars .... fortunately I was able to ride the rest of the day with the bars bent, but I sure can't count on that in the future.... (but I have never seen bars so bent you couldn't hobble out of the woods with them.... not saying it doesn't happen, just that it is probably pretty infrequent)

CanadianMike

May 23, 2004
Renthal FatBars

I just bought the Renthal FatBars and installed them today. When I ordered them, I had to also get the new clamps to fit them. A friend told me that they will not bend as easily due to their flexibility. This might even be beneficial to your wrists while riding certain types of terrain.

Could anyone tell me if there are any concerns of not putting the "crossbar" on with the new bars?

Cheers
Mike

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
dont put a crossbar. it only makes the bars less flexible and they bend easier. Fatbars/ Pro tapers are WELL WORTH THE MONEY. You won't be sorry. Yes they do flex. Thats why they dont bend. You can sorta feel them flex a little if u push on them really hard. They do help with fatigue on rough stuff because of the way they flex. The whole point of them is to not have a crossbar, so they DO flex. I reccommend these to anybody!

Im a somewhat tall rider I guess, and I like my bars high. I bought CR High bends, and have them really far forward. Pretty much straight up and down. I also have a 1/2" bar riser under my mounts with the offset forward.

When buying oversized mounts... ANY Rubber mounted ones will work. In fact, most of them saw KX/CR, or Honda/kawasaki rubber mounted. I had bad luck with the TAG ones, and bent the post. I then put a new bolt in, and it ripped the threads out. So I ended up bringing them to school along wiht my metal Cones... (another thing I reccomend... your bars still wont bend, but they wont twist either like with the rubber ones) and having them re tapped to the next AMERICAN sized thread. And then I just put a Lag bolt in. I bought a longer one so i could put in the risers also.

Good luck guys!

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I use an old set of Alumilite aluminum bars with a 1990 CR bend (similar to the CR high bend but the bar ends bend back with a little more angle to them). I've used them on 4 different bikes over the years and they aren't bent yet. When I put them on my KDX I cut 1" off of each end to help in the trees a little.

kdxman15

Aug 21, 2003
i managed to snap some answer alumilite bars. i have now got yz high bend tag x5 handle bars and find the very nice. i have had some pretty nasty crashs with them and they still arent bent.

Hairscrambled

Jun 25, 2004
Thanks for the input. I understand FatBars are strong but is the flex really necessary since the KDX has rubber bar mounts?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…