MXboy00

Jul 3, 2003
Hey everyone. I've got a question for ya's. I went riding at a local practice track yesterday on my semi-new Suzuki RM100. The bike handles turns and jumps great. However, on this one straight-away with braking bumps as far up as half the length of the straight leading into the turn...The handlebars always started to jerk violently. (As in it would kick the front wheel to the left, then violently to the right and so on...) I wound up staying to the far inside in a rut with no breaking bumps because of it. The bike almost threw me a couple of times. Is this because of the fork setup, or is it something im doing wrong. (I lean far back in a semi-crouched position while using mainly the front brake w/ some rear application to keep the bike in line. Any advice is appreciated.

boardadikt

May 20, 2003
It could be a front fork problem, but I don't know much about suspension set up. However, I ran into the same problem at my local track. A friend told me to lean further back and give it more gas when you get "headshake" (thats the term for when your bars start to go crazy). Basically you give it gas and lean back to get the weight off the front tire. It worked for me. Sometimes I just roll on the gas and pretty much wheelie through all the bumps. Hope this helps.

MXboy00

Jul 3, 2003
I said that in my post. I'm already leaning far back with gas pinned and in the right gear/powerband. Hmm...I know i'm a little over-weight for the stock spring selection. I'm 125 lbs...Thanks for referring the term "headshake" though. I knew what it was called, but my mind went blank this morning. :( Oh well...all the more reason to send the forks off to PR2 or RG3 when the tracks close down for the season. :)

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Try raising the forks in the triple clamp some before you send them out.. This should help you out..

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Also set your rear sag, it can cause headshake if you don't have enough. Funny how the back can affect the front isn't it?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by rickyd
Try raising the forks in the triple clamp some before you send them out.. This should help you out..
Oops...raising the forks lowers the front and steepens the steering angele, possible causing headshake.

Lowering the forks / raising the front results in more high speed stability with less quick turning ability.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Another thing to check would be the steering itself. Put your bike on a stand so that the front is off the ground. turn your handlebars slightly and if they turn the rest of the way on their own than you need to tighten the nut. Keep doing this until the front stays where its put thru the entire turn radius. This can help stability without sacrificing cornering. Mine came really loose from the showroom floor and got real bad headshake in 4th and 5th. Something to check.

MXboy00

Jul 3, 2003
Will do...Just got done putting on some Cycra MX Handshields. Heck...I might as well post that question in this thread as well...Do you have to get different dust covers for the levers w/ handshields? With the handshields on there, the dust covers to keep the dirt out of the clutch/brake cables are warped since they weren't made for the handshields.

Had to put the handshields on...up at Jackfrost, PA the rocks are bad, and my knuckles always remind me the following morning...lol

MXboy00

Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by MXboy00
Will do...Just got done putting on some Cycra MX Handshields. Heck...I might as well post that question in this thread as well...Do you have to get different dust covers for the levers w/ handshields? With the handshields on there, the dust covers to keep the dirt out of the clutch/brake cables are warped since they weren't made for the handshields.

Had to put the handshields on...up at Jackfrost, PA the rocks are bad, and my knuckles always remind me the following morning...lol

^^ :) What I said earlier...I might wind up taking the handguards off temporarily until someone (Or if I figure out on my own) tells me how the dust covers on the levers are supposed to wrap around handguards...

MXboy00

Jul 3, 2003
Alright, thanks. I figured it would be more convenient in my original thread here. I'll play it by ear at the track. Most pictures of dirtbikes with handguards that I see, don't even look like they have the dustcovers.

Top Bottom