Handlebars keep bending!!!!!!

YZ125jk

Registered
Mar 14, 2005
I just got my new 2004 YZ 125 about 3 or 4 weeks ago and when i first rode it i set it on the ground because i was about to fall and my handle bars bent in half so i got new ones for free.(MSR) really cheap bars $35 manager picked them out.And yesterday i fell coming out of a turn puttin around it and slipped and they bent.GRRRR.....Can i bend them back?Or should i get better handlebars like taper or renthal?The heavy duty ones.wile those bend to like the piece of junk i had?

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
I am pretty loyal to Renthal.
I used their bars last year (7/8) and had great results they can take way more abuse than the steel onces.

This year I am getting a set of Twin Walls.

pro2k

Nov 7, 2002
I have a set twin walls that seem to be indesctructable. In fact, the instructions that came with them said something about them being so strong that if the wreck was severe enough, forces that would normally be soaked up by bending will transfer and can actually cause damage to the triple clamps! They might be a bit to strong............

Bullwinkle58

Apr 23, 2004
I will never buy standard 7/8" bars again. I've bent the bar clamp bolts before, and my Pro-Tapers weren't bent at all. If you're one who falls a lot, oversized bars will pay for themselves. Even if you don't fall a lot, it's nice knowing that if you do fall, your odds of riding back to the truck with strait bars are much better.

pw50123

Aug 14, 2004
Twinwalls! Get them now! i found mine on the Kawasaki site on clearance last year for $59.00 have antoher $30 in mounts. No problems since! :uh:

brit yz125

Jan 7, 2005
You get what you pay for, and I've got twinwalls and cant fault them. Even better than oversized pro tapers (bent a set!)

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
If you don't wanna pay huge money for ProTapers or Twinwalls try the Renthal FatBar ($69) or www.rockymountainatvmc.com has their own brand Longhorn...only $40.

The MSR bars you used are not much better than steel. I bent them first fall.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
We had good luck with Renthal Fat Bars last season. I had thought about investing in some Twinwalls but look at it from the point of view that something has to give if the crash is serious enough, I'd rather replace a set of bars than a set of triple clamps. When we need some more bars Pro Tapers will be getting the nod mainly as a show of support for those that support this site and Dirtweek.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
A few twinwalls have been splitting at the joint where the bars goes larger, this is with no crashing involved.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
Thats only bars made before or in 2002. It doesnt matter anyway, twin walls have a 7/8 bars inside of a outer tube that works as a sheild. Thats why they were never recalled.

NacNac250F

Apr 15, 2003
Use Pro Tapers they are the best bars I have used. You have to buy bigger clamps that will raise the bar height a little bit but you can buy lower bars to put you about where you were stock. I've been through more bikes than I have bars with my Tapers. My 05' YZ125 came with renthals but they snapped so i put my old tapers that i had been using on 4 different bikes on.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I used tag t-6 bars for a while on my other bike and had a few nasty spills where the bars dug into the dirt and never had any problems with them bending. Theres a guy on that auction sight who has them for like $36 with free shipping. i really liked those bars and was going to get another set for my bike now but ended up getting renthal's and they seem nice also. Buddy has the same bars and he's put them through hell and back and they are still pretty straight. Good Luck

YZ125jk

Registered
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks i will probably get some renthal bars. or pro taper.Can i still ride my bike and even with the bend?Or will i make them weaker and put them at the point of snapping.And when i looked at the twin walls they only say carmecial and other racer bends not YZ or CR

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Thanks, Sick for the info on the tag's. I was needing new bars, have a set on the way. BTW. I had very good use from a set of Renthal's. Even straightened them a time or two.

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
First thing I do when I buy a new bike is throw the stock bars in the garbage and put a set of ProTapers on (I've broke stock KX bars just from hitting big jumps and landing hard!) I like and use the Doug Henry bend version of the ProTapers. They just have such a neutral, natural, and comfortable bend like my arms are floating in air where the stock bend and most other bars feel awkward/unnatural to me.

Good things about the Tapers is they absorb abrupt shocks and vibrations tons better then most other bars while being so strong you can use them for years and years and transfer them to each new bike you get withstanding many wrecks plus they look cool. :nod: I'm a ProTaper user for life! Great product!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Pro-Taper :)

I also have a pair of Azonic Twinwalls (similar to renthal twinwalls) on my KX... they bent just from tipping over on the trailer!!! :(

I'll stick with the tapers.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Stop using steel, go to aluminum.

Here is another vote for Pro-Tapers. My first bike came with them. I've had a few get offs that caused the clamps to mis-aline, but the bars were fine. My new bike received the Pro-Taper SE for cost reasons. I didn't want to pay to mate the 1 1/8 bars to my stock clamps.

The SE's have a bit more flex than the Pro-Tapers's, but that is to be expected.

Changing the stock steel bars to aluminum would one of the first, if not the first upgrade to a new bike.

Good luck, Steve.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…