Handlebars twisting in fork crown

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Just came back from a short ride through the riverbottoms.
Fell a couple of times in the soft, deep, two-track sand parts of the trails (my nemisis).
First time, I fell on the left side. The handlebars were pulled back about an inch on the left side. Next time I fell, it was on the right side and after I got the bike up and going again, the bar's right side was pulled back about an inch.
"Crap!" I thought, "I didn't go down that hard!"
Got home and took the bars off; the bars themselves are not bent in the slightest, and after I pulled the bar mounts and their rubber bushings out of the fork crown, everything looked just fine.
I put everything back together and the bars are straight; in perfect alignment.

This is not the first time it's happened...and every time it appears that the bar mounts get "offset" in the rubber mounts....and all I have to do is take the mounts out of the fork crown and re-install. Nothing is ever permanently deformed or bent.
What gives? Why do the rubber bushings take a set when the bike goes down???
I coated the bushings with silicone grease this time, and will see if this happens again. I'm hoping the lubricant will let the rubber bushings "move" around inside the crown and go back to their original position instead of taking a set and holding the bars crooked.

Anyone else experience this? If so, have you found a remedy?

ascracer

Oct 21, 2006
I had some problems with the bars twisting as well. I changed to a solid mounting triple clamp. Several aftermarket company make them and that solved the problem.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I've seen the single top clamp, and read the claims that they keep the rubber-mounted stock clamps aligned...but I can't figure out what it can do that a solid, steel tube clamped between the two rubber-mounted stock clamps does not do. (I'm talking about the handlebar, which you, I'm certain, have figured out.)
I.e. a single top clamp seems redundant.

I'm thinking of making some hard urethane (or even Delrin)bushings to replace the rubber bushings.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
glad2ride said:
The clamps are able to twist independently otherwise.
Yet, the handlebar prevents the clamps from twisting independently....wait a minute, I think I see what you mean: if even one of the clamps is able to move around the bar under the force of a fall, then the whole assembly can twist and stay twisted until one or the other clamp is released.
Your are right, glad, a massive single top clamp may be the best answer. (The other answer, of course, would be for me to STOP CRASHING!! :bang: )

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Okay, Steve, lumpy, I've just ordered the one-piece upper bar clamp. Thanks for the suggestion.
Will I have to "improvise" to mount the odometer on the new, FRP top clamp?? :rotfl:

Last edited:

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
common problem, i used a kx250 one piece upper bar clamp combined with kx250 urethane bushings. these are much stiffer than the rubber kdx bushings and help stop the bars twisting in the clamps.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Received the FRP top clamp yesterday and installed it on the 200. Nice piece, and it went on with no hassles. Now, I need to go out and crash-test it....................... :|
I also lubed the handlebar clamp bolt threads, and torqued the bolts down evenly to 18 ft/lbs(manual says to torque one down tight, then torque it's mate...so that one end of the clamps has zero space)...this might put more clamping force on the bars, preventing twisting in the clamps.

I also ordered the KX250 one-piece top clamp (OEM Kawasaki part) for my other bike...it's cheaper than the Fredette.

Top Bottom