Handlebars will not stay in place!

ADUFFY

Jan 1, 2006
Hello;

I am a new KDX owner, and I thought I would consult the veterans for help in preventing my handlebars from moving.

I bought my KDX 22O half a year ago, and proceeded to bend the stock handlebars on the first weekend. I replaced the bars with a set of pro taper SE's. Since then, I have not bent my handlebars but they shift on every significant crash. I can fix them by turning the forks against the stops and twisting them back, but it is very annoying. I have torqued the bar clamps down until Im worried about stripping them, and have tightened the nut on the rubber bushings until I thought the bushings would be damaged. Neither has helped, I think it is the bushings that are allowing the handlebars to move. Should I continue to tighten, or is something wrong? The bike was virtually new when I bought it.

I would appreciate any advice,thanks

Adam

ADUFFY

Jan 1, 2006
Cool, that looks like it should cure the problem. Do you know how much vibration the rubber mounts dampen out. Will there be a significant change with the one piece?

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
The bottom half of the mounts remain including the rubber..I recently changed to a kx125 front set-up, didn't notice a change in vibration with solid mounts. My arms go numb with or without rubber mounts. :(

ADUFFY

Jan 1, 2006
Oh I see. I misundesrstood what was being replaced. I will give the FRP product a shot. Thanks everyone for your input.

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
go to the dealer and ask for honda cr250 rubber mounts, they are made from poly and are very stiff, also a kx 250 top bar mount (which is a one piece) will work on your kdx. hope this helps

dixie

Feb 22, 2003
Don't Crash any way heres another tip or two Fast way and scotts have metel cones for the no twist as others sug the KX-125 or 250 top clamp or Fredettes, one other is to mount your Bark Busters Hand Guards ect. to the top fork clamp, you can bolt straight to it or make a bracket and mount on that peice. Some Venders offer the fork mounts, for around 45.00 Bars will not twist no more, makes the whole set up more stable. Hope this helps you out.

trevor morgan

Mar 15, 2005
I had this problem on my 91 KDX250, every time I had a tumble the bars would shift in the rubber mounts. The solution is to replace the cone shaped bushes, not expensive, they do wear over time. Mine feels great now. I think if you were to mount them without the bushes you would notice a lot of vibration and the bars would bend too easily.

Top Bottom