Happy with Super Duty F-250 Crew Cab

Todd Turner

Dec 24, 2000
Thanks to many good posts on this forum, I have bought a new Super Duty F-250 Crew Cab, short bed, Powerstroke Diesel- auto, Lariat, loaded. Its only 500 miles old but already I'm really excited about the purchase.

I was questioning all the reports I hear about the good fuel economy. How much fact, how much brag... Well, my first tank of half and half city and highway yielded 18mpg! And I only have another 9500 miles to really break it in where the mileage should increase.

I was also very pleasantly surprised at the acceleration when passing. I've been driving a '98 Expedition with 5.4 and 3.55's. Romp, stomp and you ease past the next car. Not so with the PSD turbo. As the turbo spools up it just accelerates smoothly- so smooth that I almost ate some poor fool's tailpipe in Arkansas this weekend. It doesn't pin you to the seat like a gas burner. But, the end result is I was going faster than the Expedition given the same distance. It simply had more acceleration when passing a car- what I'm looking for when slicing the two-lane roads of the Southeast US.

I'm going to be a good boy and not trailer until 1500 miles. After that, I'm going to be really curious as to the economy when pulling 7000 to 10000 of trailer.

While the ride is nice, do any of you guys have suggestions on improving the suspension. I used BF Goodrich Velvet Ride torsion shackles on my '91 Chevy and loved the improvement. But, I have heard they don't have one for the F-250. 65% of the time I'm riding without any load. 35% of the time I'm pulling a trailer but with minimal load in the truck bed.

I have been told adding a chip would void the warranty. Of course, the salesman said you can just remove the chip. I spoke with the service manager at the dealership and he said codes are stored in the memory that would show them the truck used to have a chip- should I try taking it out before bringing the truck in for warranty service. Truth or sales pitch? If so (and in preparation for when I go beyond the 100k warranty in 3 years), what are your suggestions regarding chips?

Right now I'm going to add a K&N off the get go. Are there comparable air cleaner products with other benefits?

What else can I do regarding mods while under warranty?

By the way, I bought this new model for $1500 more than my best offer on an '01 with 31500 miles. And this one came with 2.9% 48 months financing. Final price- $34,000 and a better trade in value on the soccer mom car (Expedition).

With the exception of a year and a half in the Expedition, I've driven Chevys for the past half a million miles (since '89) but think the Ford will do a fine job.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
congratulations

Visit banks website for the lowdown on warranty information and how performance upgrades affect your warranty. While you're there, the banks people have a beautiful selection of power upgrades for your truck.

I drive a full size chevy now since you can't beat the ifs ride on a half ton or the fuel mileage but if I ever had to tow anything substantial you can bet I would be looking at the Ford PSDs. Until then, I got nearly 18 mpg pulling a motorcycle trailer over the pass this weekend.

I think you picked the best combination (crew cab, short bed). Is it four wheel drive? If you got the dark gray color I'll really be jealous.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Congratulations on the new wheels, you'll love the diesel. Ask around about the towing, with my Dodge I was told to tow early and run it hard as it will help the engine break in and run strong - so far, so good.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
4x4 or 4x2? If 4x2 give it a few thousand miles and the ride will smooth out for sure. I'm going to add Bilstein shocks to mine pretty soon that should further improve things.

Towing? I'd slap something heavy on it anytime after 1,000 miles and work it. Mine seems to get better mileage unloaded after I give it a good work out with a heavy trailer. If your using the overhead readout for mileage subtract about 2 mpg, it's pretty optomistic but your numbers sound to be in the ball park for a fresh 4x2 with 3:73's.

Yup a chip will void your coverage IF they can prove that the chip caused the failure. Some dealers are more willing to work with you than others on this issue others will try to void it for having an aftermarket air filter! Many aftermarket companies will throw out the Magnusson-Moss Act as something to hide behind but, the fact is if you for instance break a rod (very possible with the powdered metal rods in the latest 7.3's if you get over 320hp) and you have a chip installed you a very likely out of luck on coverage. I have NEVER heard of ANYBODY winning that battle. The M-M act is in fact a method of protecting the consumer from the maker forcing you to buy their oil, filters, tire air, etc... and NOT to allow you to increase power to levels they many not have designed for. I have a Power Programmer III and have run it for 30K with no problems, my rig has 47K on it now. Keep in mind I also have the standard forged rods which are more inclined to bend rather than just break and punch a hole in the block and are proven at power levels well above the 320hp limit the PM rods seem to have. Yes most chips or programmers will set codes on the ECM, seeing as how most folks are less than honest Ford needs to have a way to verify things so I can't blame them. There are some new 4 page chips/programmers that are said to not set any codes but I have not heard this as being fact from any reliable sources. It is also possible to clear out the codes with a scan tool or resetting the system with a battery disconnect and key on/off sequence but I don't know that as being fact. If your going to tow heavy and chip then a pyrometer & bigger exhaust would be a very wise investment or a VERY light foot at the minimum. Once EGT's get around 1300 you can start having big time failure from the turbo which will blow all those pieces into the rest of the engine :eek:. I'll also soon be adding a 4" or 5" exhaust with free flow muffler just to bring the EGT's down and to free up some more power. I am also running an Amsoil oiled foam air filter and have since about 10K when I added the dual remote bypass filtration setup for the oil. Personally I like the amsoil filter better than the K&N that I have on my wifes truck. It seems to flow better and I know it works at least as well as the K&N at trapping dirt. The exhaust and air filter modification are both within the limits of coverage offered under the M-M act because they are sold as replacement parts NOT power enhancing parts. Sure they COULD argue the point but it is much more gray then a chip. You should also become very familiar with just what IS covered with the 100K diesel warranty, lots of if/and/or/buts listed.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I sure do like my crew cab short box 2 wheel drive. Mine is a 6 speed as I was convinced that was the ticket for me. I use my truck for pulling a toy box trailer and it is great. I superchipped it with the lowest grade chip as I was concerned about egts. A friend bought the Banks 4" stainless stuff to put on her truck and it was a terrible job putting it on. They had to cut and heli-arc pipe and move every exhaust hanger(not a job for the faint of heart on stainless stock). I am checking out other alternatives. I did add the mag hy tec rear dif cover on mine.
Now, no bragging, I get 19.5 miles per gallon on the highway empty. We drove it to Colorado on Vacation across Kansas. My wife pulled 22.5 miles to the gallon out of it. Empty, running between 70-80 mph with a camper shell on and checking by filling the tank not by the computer.

Todd Turner

Dec 24, 2000
Thanks for your comments, especially Patman. I am currently on a work project and on the drive up here with 1850 pounds in the bed, it turned 18.7mpg at 60 - 65 mpg, no trailer. Not bad. That was according to the gallons/miles driven, not the computer on the ceiling. Actually, the onboard computer indicated 18.3. Those are only "reasonably close" from prior experience.

I'll definitely be checking out the foam air filter. It actually makes more sense than the K&N though I've had them on other trucks for years.

By the way, some one asked- it is a 2wd, shortbed, crew cab.

Oct 22, 2000
A friend of mine just bought an Excursion with the PSD and he was told by the Service Manager at the dealership to use the Super Chip 60HP chip. Yup, the dealership's own representative suggested it. :aj:

Todd Turner

Dec 24, 2000
Well, folks.... How about 20.6mpg average on a 1500 mile trip? Not too shabby for 70mph, no trailer and less than 4000 miles on the odometer. Just for reference, one tank full had the trip computer indicating high. The next tank indicated low and this last tank had indicating low... as in the computer said 19.9mpg and the fill up at the pump indicated 20.6. Fairly accurate, though.

My first trip pulling a trailer came in at 13.6mpg was last week- 400 mile round trip. This was pulling a light to medium load (3000 pounds) in my 7 x 14 enclosed tandem axle trailer and driving 70mph. In my half ton truck and Expedition, driving with Overdrive turned off, the revs were kind of high for going much over 65mph. And, the mileage would have been more like 10mpg on the other trucks. The trip was across the Delta of La. and in rolling hills of Mississippi so I left it in Overdrive. No problem shifting in and out of OD, no problems at all.

With the stock street tires and 3.73 rear end, this truck is just under 2000rpm.

By the way, Rattletrap', did your friend with the Excursion say the Ford Service manager had a 60hp chip they could put in? I don't want to do anything to blow a 100,000 mile warranty out of the water.

Any suggestions on air filtration and oil filtration?

Thanks again for all the positive comments.

Todd

Oct 22, 2000
The chip was purchased on-line from superchips.com (per the Ford guys' suggestion). I have ridden in the truck since the installation of the chip and I tell you, it really has made a marked difference in the "Get up and Go" of the PSD. It even smoked the tires at a stop sign! I had no idea that a diesel could be made to do that! :scream: It was all of a twenty minute installation.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
Hey as far as smoothing out your ride...My friend put a air bag set up on the rear. It is kinda extensive. You end up changing the leaf spring shackles and the hitch. But it rides so smooth I couldnt believe it. We went over speed bumps fast enough to normally send you to the roof, but it was fine, smooth as could be. The kit cost 800.00 bucks. And I cant remember the company that makes it. But I plan on getting one soon for my truck. It doesnt change the height of the truck or the weight it can handle. Also, if you plan to lift the truck this kit is totally independent of the suspension. I give it a 9 for functionality and a 6 for price.

Todd Turner

Dec 24, 2000
I remembered reading about an air ride suspension years ago in a motorhome/RV magazine. I found it: Kelderman Mfg. out of Iowa. The kit replaces the rear shackles with an air bag and it sounds great. I think this is the one mentioned in an earlier post.

It does not affect hauling capacity... just takes the hard hit out of bumps in the road.

Granted, $850 is a big chunk of change but this is my only vehicle (with four wheels) and I spend a lot of time behind the wheel.

I'm thinking seriously about ordering it. Any other suggestions?

I'll keep y'all posted.

Todd

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
The Kelderman gets good reviews on the Dodge site, I'm thinking about it too as mine is pretty rough when empty (90% of the time).

Todd Turner

Dec 24, 2000
Hey Guys (and Gals),

I'm in TN today on a work trip. Got 15+ mpg pulling a small trailer. In my 1/2 ton gas burner, the same trip and same load would have resulted in 11.5mpg. And, with the gas burner, I would have been in drive, not overdrive. I don't like to rev a truck engine so with the 3.42 rear end, I would have set the cruise at 62 to 65. With the diesel, I left it in OD, set cruise at 70 and let her cruise. Very impressive.

I'm generally kicking myself as to why I haven't gone to 3/4 ton and diesel sooner.

I checked out the Kelderman website as well as other true air suspension rides (rather than air assist booster systems) and I feel this is the best way to go. At $850, its fairly expensive but a similar system used by the lowriders was more like $3000! The Kelderman adds a bunch of hardware that can be seen beneath the vehicle when viewed from behind. Not that attractive but I don't spend a lot of time following my truck. I do, however, spend a lot of time behind the wheel. That's what I'm investing in.

The Banks website said their equipment will not void the extended warranty. Hmmm.... sounds like sales pitch. I do want to look into power increases- K&N and exhaust plus chip work. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for all the DRN help.

Todd

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Ok, I picked up my 2002 PSD 4x4 yesterday:yeehaw: On the way home the computer was saying 5mpg and it has climbed steadily to 10.2 over the course of 160 miles (it had 50 when I got it). I'm hoping that this continues to improve with breakin. The claims of 18+mpg, is that for the 4x2, what are you getting from the 4x4 (3.73)?

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
4x4 crew cab with an auto tranny and 3.73 won't be quite as great as the 6 speed 4x2 regular cab on 3.42 or lower gears. But you knew that.

I have read reports of 16-17 mpg empty cruising with your truck as delivered from the factory. No snake oil.

Really you should visit the for-diesel site as you are now part of another unique family of crazy people. They will have a huge amount of info on mileage. But they will also be realistic and tell you that mpg all depends on how you drive, the climate, and that you could get between 14 and 18 mpg empty.

Congratulations. You should be proud. How much cash? Tell us more.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Highbeam,

I'm not going to give dollars on the board, but I went to three dealers and one gave me 4K better than the other two. When I asked the other two if they could do better they laughed and said that dealer number one had made a mistake and that when I went back they would back out of the deal. Well dealer number one didn't back out making me one happy guy :) I believe the truck has every extra possible. If I had ordered the truck I would have gone with much less, but I was looking to get the 0.0% that is on the '02's and that meant that I had 4 trucks to choose from in B'ham (and the wife said no to red, meaning I had 3 to choose from).

Gomer - are you refering to the Alabaun? I can't wait to hit triple digits while hauling the trailer and then performing the perfect block pass on some unexpecting little old lady :p

Top Bottom