ste1

Sep 22, 2003
can anyone help . i have had new fork seals fitted to my 99 cr250 but have noticed that it is very hard over bumps and the front wheel wants to push out all the time. i have played about with the compression and rebound settings set to 8 clicks from soft and new fork oil at 375ml in each fork (might there be too much oil in them)i have bled the forks and there is no damage to them i have looked at mx tech but with no help.PLEASE HELP!

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Your forks are probably binding (not aligned correctly.) Put your bike up on a stand (front wheel off the ground.) Loosen the axle pinch bolts. Spin your wheel and grab the front brake to stop it a couple of times. Tighten one side and spin the wheel again. Tighten the other side. Also make sure that your forks are even with eachother in the top of the clamps and your clamp pinch bolts are not too tight.

I had new seals put in my KX once with the same experience. They felt super stiff and harsh, just like you are describing. The forks were binding, I fixed that and they worked like a charm. :thumb:

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Another way to align the forks is to loosen the pinch bolts grab the front brake and push down on the forks a few times. This will force the forks into their natural state.

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
Actually I feel the best way to prevent binding is after the axle nut and L/S pinch bolts are tight I then loosen the 2 R/S pinch bolts and carefully tap a straightblade screwdriver into the slot between the 2 bolts. Then you can push & pull the r/s fork and actually see that it will center itself with no binding. I always do it on the stand and never have to take it off to push the bike up & down.

One other thing....when they put new seals in did they also replace the bushings? Many times the bushings are ruined when you seperate the fork tube from the leg. They can also look good but once reinstalled the guide bushing won't be back in the same position and have a different wear pattern.

doc

ste1

Sep 22, 2003
i aligned the forks and it helped on the most of the fork travel but when over big bumps the fork doesn t seem to be travelling the full stroke as ican see the marks on the surface some one told me that when the forks are filled with oil you have to compress them to their full travel with the caps off and measure a 100 mm air gap from fluid to cap threads (is this correct)

ste1

Sep 22, 2003
Originally posted by ste1
i aligned the forks and it helped on the most of the fork travel but when over big bumps the fork doesn t seem to be travelling the full stroke as ican see the marks on the surface some one told me that when the forks are filled with oil you have to compress them to their full travel with the caps off and measure a 100 mm air gap from fluid to cap threads (is this correct)
ps als what sort of gearbox oil and what viscocity

Top Bottom