rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
This is on my 1986 YZ-125

A while back I was getting concerned about the clutch as it was only engaging at the very end of the clutch level throw and just didn't seem right. I tore down into it, got the clutch plates out and measured them carefully. They were well within the wear limits specified in my manual.

I put it back together and everything was the same.

Then I broke the clutch cable.

Since I had to order parts anyway I decided to change the clutch so I order up a cable and a Barnett clutch kit.

The new clutch arrived first so tore into it and changed it out.

A week later the cable arrived so I slapped it on and was really surprised at how stiff the clutch was. I mean, this thing really gives my left hand a workout to squeeze. Much harder than even my 250 to squeeze.

Thinking I had put something together wrong I tore back into it and checked everything. Looked fine, couldn't see anything wrong.

I took the bike out for a test ride on Saturday. Works great, just really hard to squeeze the clutch.

The Barnett kit came with new clutch springs, which I used. Unfortunately I threw out all the old parts when I was done so I can't go back to the original springs.

Could the new springs really be that stronger?

Rod

Top Bottom