hard start 83 cr480

480 mike

Jun 6, 2007
i have the bike mixed at 20:1 like the manual says but it is over bored and engine is new,it will start instantly if i bump it in 3rd and it will run great after that not much luck kicking it should i try 32:1 and lean it out a bit also it smokes a lot until the motor gets warmed up and cleaned out. it has factory jets and carb and a new choke from honda.thanks mike.

N3WFI3

Oct 31, 2007
hey mike, the big bores like 40:1 with a good oil like a semi
synthetic.

all the manuals in the old days say 20:1 because the oil sucked back then, oil technology has advanced a lot since

your bike will run much better and resist plug fouling with 40:1
with todays great selection of oils even 32:1 can be to much oil
the oils these days are rated good and safe right up to 50:1

as for the jetting, keep it stock unless you have significant performance issues it's best left alone.

don't idle or drive slow for long periods of time on your bike
its best when you keep a load on the engine so the plug stays in the self cleaning temperature range

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
How does it start when warm?? When cold, make sure carb fills after turning on petcock before trying to start it. Kick a few times with choke on and kill button depressed. Then give it a mighty kick using no throttle. If still giving you problems, put in new plug and try. If still giving you problems, check the pilot jet and make sure it is really clean.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Sounds like a pilot circiut issue. Does it kick start once warmed up?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I ran my 84 cr500 at 20:1 with no problems at all. But I jetted the bike properly for the mix ratio.

480 mike

Jun 6, 2007
the petcock flows freely and it does start when its hot it starts sometimes when its cold when i rock the bike back and forth and tilt it from side to side and let the fuel come out of the over flow tubes i guess it may charge the motor to fire the fuel but not all the the time it starts like that ,thats when i bump it and have fun,sometimes you can kick it till yor blue in the face then i bump it an it starts .....hardly worth the effort to kick it but the bike is all restored and i like it right im gona try the fuel @ a new pilot jet if i can find it. thanks for the info you guys rock mike.

N3WFI3

Oct 31, 2007
the reason why the bike is hard to start is because it's a big bore 2 stroke
all of these bikes are harder to start then others because of there high compression ratios
these bikes are easier to get flooded if you are not using the right starting technique

try putting the choke on all the way
rock it back and forth a few times in 3rd gear to prime the cylinder with fuel
or you can hold the kill switch and kick the bike over 2-3 times
then position the kicker to where the most resistance is felt
kick it all the way through from top to bottom as hard as you can and don't touch the gas
if the bike starts shut the choke off right away and blip the throttle some
if the bike doesn't start turn the choke off and continue with mighty kicks
seems like all the big bores need a good strong kick to fire up

the most easy way to start is bump starting in 3rd gear on a nice hill or getting a tow
i have gotten lucky a few times and kick started mine up against a fence but it's hard
balancing these bikes and getting a strong kick when there's nothing to lean them on
bump starting and towing works 99% of the time

480 mike

Jun 6, 2007
i had to bump it again last weekend to start it but what i did notice was that the idle was a bit high but i did not have much control over lowering it i let the cluch out a bit to lower it where i like it to idle other than that it ran good.lots of wet oil at the tail pipe & also backfired when it was hot then flooded when i tried to start it.any ideas about these problems? thanx mike.

Dec 30, 2008
mine is a bitch to start...its got a fresh bore in it and everything...i run mine at 32:1. i think a lot of it just has to do with the amount of compression these *******s have.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Its all technique kick starting these bikes. The guys screwing with the oil ratio's are mostly screwing with their jetting, and still do not get it? Start with the recommended ratio and any decent 2 stroke motorcycle oil. Mechanically sound, then jet it.

Dos Rios

Feb 29, 2008
What works best for me is to turn on the gas petcock and lean the bike over until fuels spills out of the carb. overflow lines. Put the choke on and kick the bike easy 5-6 times to convey fuel to the cylinder. Next find the point where the piston comes off of top dead center and give it a firm kick. Remove chock as bike warms up. I also use a 32-1 ratio of maxima oil. I can start my 480 with tennis shoes on doing this.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…