gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
I bought the bike from a buddy of mine who I used to ride with often. I don't ever remember him having any problems with it, but now the bike is difficult to start (10+ kicks).

I've checked most of the obvious stuff.....cleaned the air filter, checked the exhaust valves visually on the left side cover, cleaned the carb and jets, replaced the reeds & reedblock with vforce delta2, and checked the top end compression (190psi).

Also, I'm not sure if it is related but when warmed up the bike does not seem to have quite as much snap as I would expect. It pulls the wheel up fairly easily on hard surfaces. However, it does not seem significantly quicker or snappier than the 90 kdx200. The kdx is running pretty well, but I would have expected the difference to be noticeable between the 2 bikes.

My first suspicion was that the exhaust valves were not operating correctly. However, when I removed the left side cover and revved the motor, the exhaust valve shaft rotates between the L and H indexes like the service manual specifies.

The temperature hasn't changed much lately (maybe 5-10 degrees cooler and humidity about the same) so I doubt that has greatly affected the jetting.

One last point of interest......I don't know if it means anything, but the performance of the bike is about the same from before and after the addition of the vforce delta2 reed system. I know that the previous owner hadn't changed the reeds, so the old ones were at least 2 years old (not sure if they were boyesen or stock material). From all the posts I read it sounded like the vforce really should have pepped the bike up. When I put the vforce on, the bike seemed to run about the same - no noticeable performance change, and no noticeable change in how lean or rich the bike was running.

Please let me know if I'm missing something obvious or anybody has had similar experiences.

Thanks,
John

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If it is hard starting when cold and the motor does not feel as strong as it should, that points to lack of compression.  Probably needs rings, and maybe a piston, too.

FWIW, my CR starts much easier cold if I lay it on its left side for about 5-10 seconds, letting the fuel run out of the overflow tubes.  

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom