Flyin-w

Jul 16, 2001
Please Help! My wife's 2001 TTR-125L Yamaha is VERY cold blooded. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this thing started? I have been fighting with it for a couple years now. Once I do get it started I have to feather the throttle and play with the choke for at least 10 minutes before you can ride it. Everything is stock except the spark arrestor is pulled out of the end of the pipe and it has a little aluminum pipe at the end of the pipe; but it still didn't start before I changed that out.

Do I need to rejet it? Do I need to raise or lower the clip? Do I need to turn the air screw out?

Please Help!

Thanks!
Keith

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
There is no air screw. The fuel screw is located on the bottom on the bottom of the carb. I would start by setting it to spec as per the manual. I think it's 1 5/8 turns out, but you should check to be sure. If it's still hard to start, try turning the screw out 1/4 turn and try again. If that makes no difference, you've likely got another problem. Possibly misadjusted valves.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
All of those TTR's are hard to start. Make sure that the choke is in the detent. How many kicks do you have to give? From what I have seen, 10 or more kicks is about right for a cold TTR125.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by RV6junkie
All of those TTR's are hard to start.

Not so. Mine would start on the first kick nearly every time. Even cold.

Flyin-w

Jul 16, 2001
hard starting ttr-125L

My wifes bike is a 2001 ttr125L and it has always started hard and takes 10 min. to warm up. does anyone have any suggestions.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
No real advice here but you can put us in the hard to start category. My sons New 02 was a bear to get going when it was cold and took forever to warm up. We only owned the bike for less than a month so not sure if that ever got better or not.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
The best way to warm them up is to ride gently with the choke on for about a minute and then continue to ride gently for three or four minutes. You have to put a load on the engine to get it to warm up.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Originally posted by Flyin-w
My wifes bike is a 2001 ttr125L and it has always started hard and takes 10 min. to warm up. does anyone have any suggestions.

Originally posted by Vic
There is no air screw. The fuel screw is located on the bottom on the bottom of the carb. I would start by setting it to spec as per the manual. I think it's 1 5/8 turns out, but you should check to be sure. If it's still hard to start, try turning the screw out 1/4 turn and try again. If that makes no difference, you've likely got another problem. Possibly misadjusted valves.

:scream:

Last edited:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Here's another suggestion. This may seem like an obvious thing to do, but then so does not posting the same question twice in the same thread. :flame:

DO NOT open the throttle at all while attempting to start the bike cold.

Full choke. No throttle.Kick.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by Flyin-w

My wifes 01' ttr-125L was initially a chore to start too.  After adding a new pipe and airbox i changed the jetting and it now starts sooooooooo easy. :)

I think that we now have a 112.5 main in the carb.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
My sons takes 6 or 7 kicks to start. The suggestion to leave the throttle alone is the key, I put my hand on the crossbar pad to make sure I do not touch it. Once we get it started the first time, it's easy to start from them on.

Humdinger

Nov 29, 2001
Go up 2 sizes on the pilot jet. This worked for us on 3 different bikes. The jet you need is a 20 I think, it's been a while since we did this. But you need to go up 2 sizes. Nothing else.

dcwilson

Mar 22, 2002
I'll bet $$ you're jetted too lean. Move that needle clip down a notch and put in a bigger pilot and main. If your needle is not adjustable you can put a washer inder it to raise it up. My wife's DRZ125l was the same way.

Top Bottom