scott8671

Jun 13, 2001
I purchased an 01 husky cr 250 about 2 months ago. I really like the bike, but have a hard time getting it started. The kickstarter has an odd shape and will stick to the footpeg if I kick it too hard. I can't really get a solid kick at it. Should I be angling my leg back more or downward. I've also noticed it takes longer to start it when it's cold outside. Any tips on easier starting or adjustments would be appreciated.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
I had a '00 wr250 and the best way to get a good kick is to lean the bike over some and get way up on the tank. More than you would normally for other bikes because the kick starter is more foward than usual.
How's the compression? Worn out rings will make it harder to start. Can you operate the kickstarter by hand fairly easy? Mine got that way right before I did a ring job.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
I use my heel on mine. Make sure you are kicking it all the way thru. Check your jetting now that it's colder. What plug are you using?

Bob Ellman

Apr 30, 2002
I have a 00, 360WR and have the same hard starting problem. I am the 2nd owner of this bike, this 360 was purchased in 2001 and rode one season of enduro's. I have only trail rode it this past summer. I wanted to ride hare scrambles but never felt confident with the way it starts.It still has good compression, ( it take's a good push to make it turn over by hand) I don't think the rings are wore out yet. The problem is the kick start lever is too far forward because of the counter shaft drive. The compression ratio of the 360 is 8:1 not too bad. But the combination of the lever too far forward and being only 6" long requires you to lean over the handle bars and kick towards the back. I weigh 160 and am 5'10" just not enough body mass to kick hard when your tired from riding. My last Husky was a 1981 430XC 12" travel front and rear 12:1 compression, left hand kick start. That bike started in one kick everytime when it was warmed up. On my 360 I fabricated a new kick start lever that was 1" longer hoping to get a little more leverage, but that did'nt work, because it then slowed down the lever stroke by making it longer. So I went back to the orginal lever. I love the power and the handling of the bike, but I can't live with the hard starting. I am considering selling it and looking at buying a KTM. I have always riden european bike's and I just don't want to have a bike that a million other people have. I like to be different, and like Dennis "I refuse to grow up". I have been riding dirt for 30 years and plan to ride till I die!

Bob Ellman

Apr 30, 2002
I forgot to reply to Scott about his kick start lever sticking to the foot peg. Just grind a little off the lever where it hits the peg, mine was when I got the bike. You may have to even bend a tooth or two on the foot peg where the lever contact's it. My kick lever has never stuck to the peg.

scott8671

Jun 13, 2001
Thanks for the replies. I think the compression is good. I haven't done a compression check yet, but the kickstarter is hard to push down by hand. I'll check the plug, What plug do you guys use? What type of jetting changes do you usually make to account for colder weather?

CagivaWMX

Apr 16, 2002
Mine stuck when the bike was new. After a few rides, the pegs wore a little notch in the kickstarter on my CR 250 and now it doesn't stick, its a short lever so you have to kick quick like on a 125, but also reasonably hard. The Husky owners manual off the website has reccomended jetting lists torwards the back too pages. On my CR 125 for the winter in WA I had to richen it one size on the main (from 390 to 400) and move the clip from the 3rd pos, to the 4th. My 250 doesn't seem to be as affected by the colder weather, but every situation is different. You may have to richen your bike as it will run lean in cold temps because there is a greater amount of air.

Top Bottom