saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
I'm new to the forums yet not new to the bike world. I'm 23, 6'2 at 155 lbs. I've had close to 13 bikes through the years (Most recent 5: 92Yz250, 98Kx125, 92Kx125, 86Kdx200 86Kx80) but havent had a bike for the past 5 years. I've racked up countless hours playing at a local MX track and even more hours playing in the woods. The only race I ever attempted was in 97 at Hurricane Mills, TN for round 3 of the AMA Hare Scramble Championship - Scott Summers, Steve Hatch, Rodney Smith, Scott Plessinger, were just a handful of "Gods" (hey I was only 13) that graced that races presense. Needless to say the course was just too much for me and my KX80 (Amatur D class?) and I had to drop out through the first lap.

Ok sorry for such the long intro. The point is that I'm a little older now and would like to take a stab at the local hare scramble tourney that starts this fall (put on by the Memphis Motorcycle Club.) Most likely in the lowest class. I am in need of a bike and thats where you guys come in.

I am thinking about a KDX220, CRF250, YZF250 or perhaps something you suggest. The price of the KDX220 is grabbing at me like no other. What would the best bike be for Hare Scrambles at the low level that I desire? For some reason I can't get the thought out of my head that the KDX220 is not a formidable race machine. Am I wrong in this idea? From what I read is sounds like it handles superbly through tight-track, yet lacks anywhere that opens up. KDX220 owners - is there much maintence required thats out of the ordinary?

CRF, YZF....4stroke 250s. Although I am pretty aggresive I am only 155lbs (soaking wet) and don't feel I will require a 400+CC 4stroke to rock through the woods. I don't know much about the 4strokes as I have never owned one. I believe myself to be a great mechanic (built a 11sec Nova at age of 19) so not that anything would scare me but I'm not looking to purchase anything thats going to require much maintence. I read somewhere that the 4strokes have valve problems, did I read wrong or do they need alot of special attention?

Basically - Would a KDX220 work for my mild-aggressive manner for racing hare-scrambles or is it more of just a trail bike? Please don't let me paint a picture that I am only going to be racing this though. No matter what I buy it WILL have more hours of just plain ole trail-riding. OR - do I need to look into the newer 250 4strokes? (Do they handle in the woods like a KDX?)

I don't mind purchasing any of the mentioned brand new but at the same time the used KDX price is grabbing me hard.

(I apologize for anyone having to suffer through this entire post)

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
KDX... dependable as a rock, cheap....more that just an entry level bike. Can be modified to good race bike as your skill/confidence progresses. (just ask multi-time ISDE gold medalist Jeff Fredette.) The 220 is not as fast as the 200, but has more low-end torque...the 220 with the 200's bigger carb. is the best of both worlds. Lots of used KDX's out there...and the bike lasts and lasts...

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Find a used KTM200EXC and call it a day. The bikes are race ready bone stock. The only things I suggest adding are barkbusters, skid plate, radiator guards and a pipe guard. A used bike may already have all of these.

The KTM will smoke a heavily modified KDX too.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Eastern HS racing and #155 sounds like the PERFECT combination for a Euro 200. Either the KTM 200EXC or the GasGas EC200. Either one of these bikes will be significantly better as a ready to race bike that is still very easy to trail ride. Basically decide which brand has better dealer support in your area and you won't go wrong. The KDX is a fine bike for play but it's no where near the league of either of the Euro bikes.

saveaux

Jul 20, 2005
Thanks for the support so far. I'm glad to hear that the KDX can be more than just a trailbike. As for the KTM, an excellent suggestion, but I can't seem to find them anywhere around here. There are some dealers here, I know I said I wouldn't mind buying new but the KTMs are a little pricey even for me. As for dependablity, are they solid? The dependabilty is sounding great for the KDX as well

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think you'll find the KTM & GasGas both very solid in the reliability area and as an added bonus they need virtually none of the add on componants to be reace ready that most Asia bikes would. You would also get a much better suspension than the KDX so in the end you'll spend about the same money, but if it's too much then it is.

Top Bottom