KrackerRacin

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 5, 2002
Alright i want to start racing hare scrambles this year with my CR250. I will be racing District 14. I have read the rules on the ama d-14 web site and all that. Do you guys have any tips for me or websites that explain more about hare scrambles. I plan on getting a skid plate, pipe gaurd and other items to protect the bike. Will i need some type of computer, or would it just help? Let me know if you can help.

Thanks
Eric

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
A computer for your bike would be more for an enduro race. I would say practice riding trails that would be simalar to the trails you will race on remember to pace yourself it is a long race, and above all have fun.
good luck

djj

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 18, 2003
Go to one and watch the first time, figure out the routine. Walk the coarse, watch what goes on, talk to some of the people racing. Woods riders are usually pretty easy to talk to, best time to talk is after the race.

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
ERIC,
YOU ARE FAIRLY CLOSE TO OUR TRACK IN PORTLAND MI.(ABOUT 45 MIN. OR AN HOUR GIVE OR TAKE) WE ALSO HAVE THE FIRST D-14 H.S. ON THE SCHEDULE, APRIL 15TH. I WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT RACING HARESCRAMBLES, AND YOUR BIKE SET-UP. I ALSO HAVE A 2001 CR250 AND IT IS SET-UP FOR H.S. AND ENDURO'S. IF YOU WANT TO COME OUT AND LOOK AROUND THE TRACK, WE CAN SET SOMETHING UP. I HAVE RACED MX/H.S.& ENDURO'S FOR 25+YEARS AND CAN GIVE YOU A TON OF INFO. ALSO YOU CAN GO TO THE EASTERN CHAPTERS FORUM, AND CLICK ON MICHIGAN TRAIL RIDERS. ALL OF US MICH. GUYS HANG THERE AND MOST ARE ALL OFF-ROAD RIDERS/ RACERS IN MICHIGAN. YOU CAN E-MAIL ME AT PTRprezCR250@AOL.COM OR CALL ME, AS I AM TYPING CHALLENGED. MY CELL#517-712-9442 OR HOME#517-626-9900 WHEN I'M NOT ON LINE. I HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON!!!

DAVE LEATHERS.

Trashrider

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 3, 2004
Eric,
Hare Scrambles are epic fun. If you decide to go to one, take your bike and race it. I would argue that if you went to one and only watched it would be a huge tease. Ride, ride , ride. Forget the skid plate and pipe guard, they collect mud and are dead weight in my opinion. Go for the hole shot when the flag drops and then back off before entering the woods to let the faster guys go. There is nothing to think about, all throttle and plenty of fun. You won't be the fastest but you won't be the slowest. They are fun. Mr. Leathers is the Honda and HS guru. Go for it!

Mark

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
Get out and try it! I had never watched any race period and after riding for about 3 months a friend of mine pushed *forced* me to try this race. I'm hooked now, the rush you get is amazing. How ever you thought you rode before is totally thrown around in the first few races. I used practically twice as much gas as I normally would for the same distance and pushed myself much harder than I had ever done. Let me tell you
though, its an extreme rush that I havent found doing anything else. Racing will also show you what you need to work on technique wise.

About the bullet proofing, it depends on what your riding in. Here in Arizona all the races "recommend" skidplates and pipe guards. All of our stuff is dez racing with large sharp rocks everywhere.

Just get out and race, you'll enjoy it. Finishing is the only thing you have to worry about first time around. Dont worry about winning anything, if you finish your already ahead of many others who either didnt finish or never attempted it.

Speaking of racing... I cant wait, another race coming up on Saturday. 28miles of pure h3ll. Its called the Kilauea Krusher for a reason, it tends to crush everything thrown at it. :D

Akira

Aug 29, 2003
I am racing a YZ 250. The only thing that I have added to it is a pair of Cycra probend hadguards. I want to add a larger tank and an FMF pipe and silencer. That is all you really need to be honest. Heck I have gotten by with just bark busters.

rider3302

Mar 8, 2005
I race HS in New england, so skid plate/pipe guard and handguards are a MUST. I would think MI would be too. Don't go to watch, go to race. If you went to watch, you would be pissed you didn't bring your bike. Hit Dave up on his offer to help explain things. DO IT, Have Fun (you will) and see how much better a rider you are after a few races, you'll be amazed!! at what youll ride through and learn.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I recommend a skid plate and barkbusters at a minimum. Personally, I don't like wrecking my bike (but it happens anyways) so I have: skid plate, pipe guard, barkbusters and radiator guards. I also want a case saver but cash is an issue right now.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Super heavy duty innertubes are a must, at least for me. Try Fly, Moose, or Metzler. At LEAST 15lbs if it's rocky or rooty. Flats will mess up your day...

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
One thing that has not been mentioned is hydration. Besides riding gear, hydration is extremely important. You should get lots of fluids in your body a day or two in advance, make sure to get your electrolyte levels up! A bladder type hydration system is around $40 for a 70 oz. system.
Oversized tanks are nice but are usually not necessary. Radiator guards or braces are pretty important IMO even though the Honda radiators are less expensive than other makes.

BadMotoWeazal

Aug 21, 2004
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Super heavy duty innertubes are a must, at least for me. Try Fly, Moose, or Metzler. At LEAST 15lbs if it's rocky or rooty. Flats will mess up your day...

IRC makes a great HD tube & is usually less expensive than the ones above.
A small tool pack is also a must: extra plug, master link, zip ties, t-handle multi-purpose tool, plug wrench, 8mm 10mm 12mm scokets, axle wrench, & in you have the room some tire irons & spare tubes w/ CO2 air kit. Nothing like breaaking something on your bike 12 miles from the truck.

Top Bottom