djj

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 18, 2003
I'm not trying to start a MX vs. H/S argument here. But it seems to me that there are more MX riders doing H/S now. In direct correlation there seems to be more complaining about the coarses. I heard one guy at the E-Moline D-17 H/S race complaining about the fact that there was logs on the coarse. Other people were complaining that the logs were on uphills and the logs were diagonal to the trail and they were wet!!! :yikes: . For crying out loud its a H/S. Some people were also complaining that there were small branches and trees that were hitting them in the face :rotfl: . Maybe I'm just and old cranky coot. But I think that the H/S coarses are getting to wide open and need to be tighter and harder. Oh I know why people want them like GNCC's, its easier for everybody. :fft:

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
LOL their ya go blaming that poor ole Mx rider.........

Hey, the guys walk FVOR courses over the years, they usually have what 25-30 logs on the course. Guess what, I know who moves them and stopped them from doing it.

doug, they never raced MX in their life. But it goes along with the same thoughts in MX land, they want "groomed" and no "ruts" which is a friggin joke. I seen Aaron today take out the ruts all around the track between motos........he does it because todays breed of MX riders "equate" good track with good grooming.......this should not be tied together.

But ya know, more and more MX riders will race HS, shorter day, more riding, less "stupid" jumps. There will be a day in 3-5 years where a HS race will have 400 riders, that you can bet on. The HS races are already matching the average rider turnouts of MX now.

Last edited:

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
I hear it sometimes too, djj. But I do it also, just the other day I told a buddy of mine some logs on the face of Laroccos leap would be cool :cool:

They aint seen nothing, go to either Roselawn enduro, Byron, or the brutal one down at Little Egypt, those enduros have more of that stuff than any HS I ever did in dist. 17. There aint no comparison, the bad thing is you only get to hit that nasty crap 1 time in a 70 + mile race. :p At the spring enduro in Roselawn this year, the A and AA riders had to do a 30 mile extra loop. I was the first one thru and there was a section of a few miles where they literally walked thru and stapled arrows. the only thing they had to cut any brush with was a pair of toe nail clippers.

Then at the very end we had to ride thru a HOUSE. But it was freshly vaccumed so there was no dust in it.

May 10, 2007
yea my one friend i race with has switched from mx to h/s and constantly complains about logs on hills or that they arent perpendicular to the course i keep telling him dude its a h/s

lots of my friends are switching from mx but in a couple years they will come back its all in the "whats cool"

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
I helped lay out some Jackpine trail that would have made them cry a couple of years back. We walked the trail the first time through and ribboned it and then rode through and arrowed. Trash galore all over the ground for several miles. I guess that is the nature of the beast for enduro. If I am remembering correctly, and I may not be, M. Lafferty dropped points in the 40's by the end and he had the best score for the day. If ya want to ride groomed "tracks" stay in the moto world or just quit sniveling and improve your obstacle skills. My obstacle skills suck, but I deal with them as they come knowing that practice makes a better rider. Just ride and improve is all I can say.

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
I like dist 6 it races in the rough rocks up awesome hills through great mud and deep ruts. I like it that way I hate when they take the course around a tough part.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
All this talk about mud, ruts and logs is making me dizzy.... :whoa: Just got back from the Moose Run. Let's just say it was a bit of a mudder. At best, I got in 25 miles in about 5 hours. I am still apologizing to my KX.

Dist1740b

~SPONSOR~
Jun 17, 2000
I like the trees / branches that whack you right underneath your arm, out of know where WHACK, man does that hurt!
Always leaves a nice black and gold mark too :cool:

djj

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 18, 2003
Dist1740b said:
I like the trees / branches that whack you right underneath your arm, out of know where WHACK, man does that hurt!
Always leaves a nice black and gold mark too :cool:

At E-moline I had a branch reach into my helmet and hook itself in my nose, did I slow down when my head did the exsorcism thingy, HELL NO, I hit another gear. :coocoo:

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
that was because saturday nites hangover you didn't feel the branch til the next two turns.

ha! Oh and hey he can start what ever he likes here, I got my hand on the chain. :P

thats funny right there.

but on the whiney rider deal, its all facets of the sport right now. Mainly because it costs them friggin 100 bucs in gas to get where they want to go to race. With gas being stupid, and no one to bitch to about it, easier to find problems with things once they get there.

I was just at the Case dealer, buy parts for my 15 year old skid loader. Friggin bucket pins, 50 bucks, bushings for those pins, 30 a piece. Replacement hydro trans 2k, New replacement machine..............35,000.00. So looks like I run the old girl for another 15 years. :)

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Although the MXers are suspect, I have a different perspective on the state of the offroad world. At least up here in the Pacific Northwest, there's been a gradual, steady "dumbing-down" of our trail systems since the late 70's. In the 70's there were lots of places to ride your dirt bike. With lots of choices came lots of options. We had the full gambit of easy, moderate, hard and OMFG! riding areas. The beginners and those who just aren't interested in getting their butts & bikes stomped into the ground every time they rode naturally gravitated to the easier riding areas. The hard core types went to the hard core riding areas and everyone was happy. As more riding areas got closed down, you saw a wider cross section of riders at the open areas. That's when the bitching began...."this is too hard", "the trails are too tight", "I can't get over all those scary logs & rocks", blah, blah, blah. All of a sudden the trails had to accomodate everyone so they were opened up and made easier. Then the worst thing to happen to motorsports came along - QUADS! In the early 90's when those obnoxious farm vehicles started showing up and shoving their way down our singletrack trails it was game over. Something that used to be difficult to ride a dirt bike through was all of a sudden a two-track quad trail that you could easily cruise in 3rd gear. The trails got opened up wider and straighter and people were clearing out all the logs. So there we were with the woods being invaded by quads while the economy was kicking into high gear and everybody and their brother was buying some sort of offroad vehicle. As the population of ORV users exploded, the number of legal riding areas was shrinking. There you had it, our trails were being dumbed down to the least common demoninator, that being a beginner quad rider who just had to ride what used to be our favorite singletrack trails. Now many offroad riders just think that's how the world is supposed to be. Trails in ORV parks should look and feel like semi-paved walking trails found in a state park. Arrgh!

If only we could back the clock up about 15 years and figure out how to do this differently. Everyone needs to have a quality riding experience no matter how good or bad a rider they are. That means a nice cross section of hard/technical, moderate and easy trails and trail systems. And not every trails system is appropriate for quads or beginner motorcycle riders. Some stuff is just best left to the more experienced riders.

Competition events are a little different deal. Hare scrambles and enduros should be hard enough to challenge every entrant and separate out the riders from the racers. If you don't like the hard stuff, then stick to poker runs and be sure to follow the quad course!

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
jsned said:
They aint seen nothing, go to either Roselawn enduro, Byron, .

Amen!! Add White City after a torrential rain to the list.

I remember doing Byron during a thunderstorm a few years ago. Mud, hills, slick logs, and NO goggles! :cool:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
You guys in Ill-noise need a few more rocks!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
A lot of guys can hang in the 2-track stuff, it's bermed up, it's fast.........but we can all go fast in that, (let's all just drag race in the sand flats) :coocoo: Rocks, ruts, logs, mud, tight hand-cut.........isn't that what "off road" is?

ps.....I must confess, I was an MXer, thought woods riding was for "lesser" riders, got my butt handed to me in the woods on a regular basis. I thought, "now THIS is a challenge." A good off-road loop should be tough, and I've gone from "this is stupid" to, "I can't get enough".

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I have some of my own woods that I made some tight and technical trails through. The first time I had a few guys come over they were complaining about the logs and how tight it was. I decided to open it up a bit so people would come back. Now I have a mix of tight/technical trails and open trails. Sometimes it's funner to just blast down the open stuff, but I like to hone my skills on the tight and log infested stuff.

Top Bottom