derekk87

May 29, 2002
Hey guys, in my area there is a harescrambles series called the Soil Series (at least it was last year). well anyway i didnt get to go watch them last year but i was wanting to try them out this year, ive been ridin about 2.5 years and i just got my new yz 125 i was wondering what kind of gear i need, ive got a helmet gloves goggles and boots i didnt know if that would be enough of if i needed the chest protector and the whole bit, i dont plan on being in contention for the lead i just wanna go see what its all about, so any help you all could provide would be appreciated. thanks alot

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
If that's southern Illinois, you'll probably want the CP. The branches & limbs along the trail can resemble punji sticks. Also suggest knee & elbow pads - thay don't have to be fancy, but Murphy's Law says you will land on the only rock on the course if you don't. And most people would consider a hydration system essential.

A set of barkbusters are useful if you intend for your fingers to work correctly afterwards.

Have fun.

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Sounds like you have most all the gear. It's really a personal preference how much you get. But, if you have to get up monday morning and go to work....more it always better. When you fall down....and you WILL during a race.....the more stuff you have protected, the less likely you will be to get injured and better able to get up and continue the race.

This was my first year racing hare scrambles. One of the local clubs has a 4 race series and I finished 6th in C class. Not bad for a beginner that'll be racing SENIOR class next year and on a 10 year old bike.

The hardest thing for me was the physical exertion. 2 solid hours of muscling your bike around the course REALLY takes it out of you. I need to work on my conditioning for next year. One race and I'm sore for a week!!

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Bark busters are like a helmet for your hands. Plus you will save your levers also.
Cardio training helps a lot too. Try riding your mountain bike for 2 hours, 3 times a week.
Good luck, keep us posted

Top Bottom