Harrison National - Race Reports & Tales of Carnage

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
I do have Moose sahara gear - I wear it down to about 50 degrees. I do ride a bike and workout 4 times a week. My conditioning just wasn't up to that kind of effort for that long. I looked back and the longest trail ride I've done in one day is 58 miles and that wasn't on trail anywhere near as hard as this was. I did consider salt levels when I was planning for the event (because I often crave salt at the end of a ride) and I had turkey sandwiches that were pretty heavily salted to eat at the gas stops - but because I was so late I didn't have time to eat them!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Steve St.Laurent said:
I did consider salt levels when I was planning for the event (because I often crave salt at the end of a ride) and I had turkey sandwiches that were pretty heavily salted to eat at the gas stops - but because I was so late I didn't have time to eat them!

:ohmy:

I used to swear off Gatorade and drink just plain tap water. Then I had what I believe was a touch of Hyponatremia after a long training run. I was feeling pretty sick until I had some chicken soup and a hot dog, LOL!

Now for long or hot weather runs I use the gatorade endurance formula with extra sodium, about half and half with water.

Loctite

Jun 1, 2001
First off the line on minute 8 and doin great... then the bike dies 1 mile in... blew a fuse, moved the wiring around and replaced fuse... 500 feet later bike dies. Push bike, cuss, push bike, cuss, think, remove seat and disconnect brake light switch wiring and make a jumper to replace fuse... Bike lights up and I am off. Hit the first check on 61. Houred out on check 2, but rode the rest of the event. I rode with each minute back up to my minute by the last two checks. The trail was much better for me on minute 8.

Pinkman - When I rode by the grass feild section on check #12 all the fast boys on minute 20-22 missed the same turn.

I finished the event very disappointed in myself. I found the ground out wire that I pinch beween the frame and my side panel. Riding DB's 950 after the event brought on a big grin.

Thats racing...
Craig

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Loctite said:
F
Pinkman - When I rode by the grass feild section on check #12 all the fast boys on minute 20-22 missed the same turn.
Pinkman eh...Not for long, just Roselawn. I just found out Bobbit got turned around in that section as well and dropped 3 to everyone's 2. It just amazes me with field sections that big with a ton of room on either side of the stakes that some MORON can still manage to run over the arrowed stakes :coocoo:

Thats racing :nod:

TJC510

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 22, 2006
i started to go the wrong direction in that section, then i seen an arrow about 50' in just above the weeds. i turned that direction and found the trail, i don't think i hit the stake, but came close.

i think it was soon after that my mom was standing at the road crossing, holding her crutches in one hand and a gatorade in the other. all i could think was, "im not stopping for a damn drink"

Loctite, i was the guy on the honda on your minute. i was wonding what happened to you when you shot off like a rocket at the start, but then i passed you about a mile in. i remember one guy saying at one restart after you caught back up to us, "who uses a fuse on a dirt bike?" that sucks to hour out, but at least you got to finish the trail.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
TJC510 said:
i started to go the wrong direction in that section, then i seen an arrow about 50' in just above the weeds. i turned that direction and found the trail, i don't think i hit the stake, but came close.
QUOTE]
It was not vertical when we came through on min #26. Oh well gotta take the bad with the good. I think 3" pipe instead of wood would be like killing two birds with one stone :nod:

At least I wasn't the kind hearted unlucky guy that DNF due to hitting an unmarked rusty truck frame :yikes:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
At least I wasn't the kind hearted unlucky guy that DNF due to hitting an unmarked rusty truck frame :yikes:

That would be me. Bent the front rotar and broke the hub. I tried to be nice when I told the club members the story. :pissed:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I've heard of riders getting tangled in barbed wire ( :| ) and hitting rusted out washing machings, but a truck frame??? Was this in a field hidden in tall grass, or out in the woods? How close to marked trail was this?

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Smit-Dog said:
Mully - I think I saw you but didn't know it was "Mully". I was parked next to KTM Mike.

You had just finished talking to Mike and the group as I came up. When you walked away I asked Mike who you were and I never had a chance to say hello later. next race. :)

Mental note: Don't take my helmet off at the gas stops or at least carry a brush in the fanny pack. :laugh:

Mully

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
fatherandson said:
That would be me. Bent the front rotar and broke the hub. I tried to be nice when I told the club members the story. :pissed:
Mike the offer still stands. We all sure would like to see ya at Roselawn on 32!

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
Yep, saw the truck frame myself. To answer Smit-Dog, the frame was laying in the weeds immediately to the right hand side of the trail after a little left hand turn or bend in the trail. Kind of dangerous considering the fact that alot of people drift wide in left turns as evidence by the weeds that originally covered the frame were missing when I went through!!!! Some young kid on a brand new KTM was shaken up and missing a front fender, I assume from a good ol' endo style get off. Should have been moved! I guess it was a good thing nobody was seriously injured..... :whoa:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I don't have a problem with natural obstacles on the course, but take real issue with barbed wire, sheet metal, abandoned appliances, old junk yards, landfills, etc.

:| :| :|

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
fatherandson said:
T-BONE STRIKES AGAIN! Thank God you didn't get hurt.

SweepRider

Mar 14, 2002
TJC510 said:
i think it was soon after that my mom was standing at the road crossing, holding her crutches in one hand and a gatorade in the other. all i could think was, "im not stopping for a damn drink"

I have no doubt Fellow Pit Crew members of the enduro world are thinking: I'm sure your dear, devoted mom would have no problem finding a more agreeable use of her time. Maybe she should let you fend for yourself next race, eh?

duckboy

Jan 9, 2005
There were definitely a few dangerous spots. Thank you very much, to who ever it was standing next to that truck frame in the tall grass. I didn't see it until I was looking down at it as I passed by. As for the kid on the suzuki who didn't secure the fencing he ran over and left it next to the trail for the next rider to run over....I'm still holding my tongue. I did move it to the other side of the fence posts so it wouldn't end up back in the rut where I hit it and had to unwrap a full revolution of it from my rear tire.

I did have fun, and I even finished without using any hand-guards (new bike). The mild temperature was nice, I didn't even drink two liters of water during the enduro.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
Where on the course was that truck frame? Before or after the 2nd gas stop? Just curious because I never saw it but there was one spot that I recall seeing some junkers off the trail a bit. That turn that everyone's talking about after check 12 was where I got lost and went in circles - I don't feel so bad about it now :)

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
SweepRider said:
I have no doubt Fellow Pit Crew members of the enduro world are thinking: I'm sure your dear, devoted mom would have no problem finding a more agreeable use of her time. Maybe she should let you fend for yourself next race, eh?

Thanks for the advice. If I did not have the drink ready he would have been upset. I should have jabbed my crutch through his front wheel just for thinking "I dont want a damn drink".

Well at Roselawn he might be fending for himself. I will decide later as the week progresses.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
WomanRider said:
Thanks for the advice. If I did not have the drink ready he would have been upset. I should have jabbed my crutch through his front wheel just for thinking "I dont want a damn drink".

Well at Roselawn he might be fending for himself. I will decide later as the week progresses.

Mommies of the world unite! :cool:

:rotfl:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Duckboy
shoot me an email at ktm(underscore)mike@hughes.net - got a question for ya. replace (underscore) with a _

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
According to Offroadchampions.com, Cody D makes the second page of the overall results (#21) beating Mr. Six Days by seconds.
Congrats CW!!!

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Haha... Congrats CW! And how about yooper Ben Yelle who hadn't rode in over a year jumped on Becker's HS bike he never rode before and got 24th OA. Damn kids!

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Good job on new bike Cody. :think: Maybe I go blue next year ;)

How about Chris Gallt landing #9th overall. Nice way to back up the Jack Pine win :cool:

24mph,m/l

Harrison Vs Roselawn

Roselawn isn't likely to have dust or silt-filled ruts. And the scenery is guaranteed to be better, if anybody dares take their eyes off the trail to look. Two loops of 32 miles each, loop gas at the start area, perfect way to stretch out those sore muscles.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I thought you Ghetto boyz went black...
pimp.gif

.... and CrazyTrails placed 3rd Overall B with a 62 in his second enduro ever, and this was from the back of the pack on #59. :worship:

Top Bottom