Has anybody replaced their heim joint?

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
I noticed the other day that I have a little slop forming in lower shock mount (Heim bearing). The bike is a 2001 250EXC and my question is How hard is it to replace the bearing set in there? Does it need to be pressed out and pressed in or can a garage monkey like me do it with common hand tools? I noticed the whole bearing set is less than $40. Also I saw on another board that a fellow is selling a replacement bearing that he swears last longer than stock and can be put in by mere mortals but I havent heard good or bad about it. Anybody got any thoughts about it. Of course I value the opinions here more than my local shop.

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
i have never had to do it, but i know my friend Sean tried to do it on his '01 125 SX and he said the litterally beat the hell outta that thing and it never come out. They ended up having to take it to the shop and have it removed.

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
It’s not too tough. Just pull the old bushings and seals and drive the old bearing out with a deep socket (was it 1” or 7/8” ? I can’t remember.) that fits just inside the bore of the shock mount and on the outer race of the bearing. A seal hook is really helpful in getting the old seals out. They are inexpensive and every tool box should have one. Carefully install the new bearing the same way. It’s quite similar to installing wheel bearings. The toughest part for me was getting the sprocket side seal back on. I was lazy and tried to do it without splitting the chain. Do yourself favor and figure on splitting the chain and removing the swing arm buffer. FWIW, the next time I need to change mine, I’m going to try Kaboom’s F-Bushing.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Thanks for the replies. Hey Gardener what have you heard about Kabooms set up?  Is it easier to install than the OEM stuff? How durable is it? The webpage he has up is not very explanatory and the pictures are small. Do you know anyone who has bought one?

I cant wait for the double lip seals he is trying to get made. I cant get seals to live more than a few months at a time. :|

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
I took the entire swing arm off, it was easier to work with that way. I used a heatgun to heat up the area where the bearing is, and it came out pretty easily (used a socket as a driver). To install, I put the bearing in the freezer for a couple hours, heated the housing up with the heatgun, and it slid in real nicely (the old wheel bearing install trick). A pretty simple job, really.
Magoo

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
I have no personal experience with the F-Bushing. I have read on the site of a few riders that have them now and it seems durable but not really appropriate at this time to make any sort of final determination. I just think that for the price, what looks like a very easy install and decent design, I’d give it a chance. Sounds like this Kaboom fellow would be the sort to stand behind his product as well.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Sounds like I am going to jump in there and do it. I ordered the FBushing from Kaboom after conversing with him in email. Of course I got the sales pitch but it sounds pretty durable. He said it was an easy install and suggested putting the whole swingarm in the freezer before trying to remove the existing bearing. I will give yall a ride report after DirtWeek.

Thanks for all the replies

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
mike, mike, mike....haven't i told you i would help you with this kind of stuff? haven't i? sheesh.

changing the bearing is no huge deal, i've done it the morning of a race. i made a tool setup to drive it out with a bolt, nut, washers & a couple spare sockets. you are welcome to borrow it if you want. i'll also show you my jeb-replica heim joint guard, made from an old inner tube & zip ties, makes it last a ton longer & it's free. i'll be at batesville for the race & you can get it there, or i'll get it to you some other way. you really should have known!

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Hey John, Your right I really shoulda known. Its just every time I go out to the shop to work on the bike you are never there. I swapped it last week and it was pretty easy.  I actually put the swingarm in the freezer to make it a little easier to remove the old bushing. Wife wasnt happy but hey it worked and she got over it. See ya at the meeting?  

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
oh i am never there to do the actual work, but i'm always ready to tell you how to do it! am planning to go to the meeting, will look for you.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
So far so good Dan. I have over 300 miles on it and see no signs of where what so ever. So far I ahve been pretty pleased with it. I guess time will tell after it has been on the bike for a while to see how long it really lasts but intial impressions are pretty positive :thumb:

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
i know your not supposed to greese the heim joint but i do with 2 years
on her and no play waterproof greese keeps the water out better also
i can not see any signs of the coating coming off

Top Bottom