ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Hey guys,
Has anyone heard if RC left Kawasaki? I heard he may go to Honda. I also heard that was just Kawi playing up the hyp...

Anyone heard anything?

Scott

yammyrider86

Dec 30, 2000
rc reply

no i dont think rc went to honda cause why would he i mean hes like in first place in the points with kawasaki and if he did hed probably even though hes my favorite rider end up like jeremy mcgrath who went to suzuki and lost his numberone plate (no offense to suzuki riders out there) so i think hes still with kawasaki:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I think the ink has all but dried on RC's contract with Honda. I believe he will make the switch, but it would be very unusual for him to do it this year.

Look for him riding red in 2002.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
There is absolutley no chance of RC riding red this year, unless it's like the US Open or some international races. He will be on a KX for the nationals. If he did sign with Honda (which looks very likely) we'll see him on red in 2002.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
The only question is what happens to Lusk and Tortelli. Maybe Lusk to Kawi?
Maybe Lusk on the 450F and Lucky Charm on the 250?

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Yarbo-I think Tortelli still might have a year to go on his Honda contract, he signed a new deal with them last year. I don't think that he and RC get along very well though. As far as Ezra goes his contract is up this year, but maybe RC can pull some strings with Honda and get them to hold on to his buddy (I hope so).

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Why is everyone so convinced that the RC to Honda deal is done? I guess I may be in denial, :eek: but I just haven't seen ANY evidence other than rumors spread by commentators.

DesertDog

Jan 14, 2001
I have said it before, YAMAHA makes champions, Honda buys them !
But in this case KAWASAKI made the champion, And it looks like Honda is going to try to buy another championship. I hope it backfires like lusk & windham. lol !!

Last edited:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by DesertDog
I have said it before, YAMAHA makes champions, Honda buys them !
But in this case KAWASAKI made the champion, And it looks like Honda is going to try to buy another championship. I hope it backfires like lusk & windham. lol !!

Hmmm.... Let's see... McGrath's first sponsor: Raceway Honda of Perris, California. But does that matter? NO.

The companies don't make champions, they support them. The rider is the one who creates his destiny... not the manufacturer. Why would you wish poor results to Ricky just because he switches teams? When I root for a rider, it's him and not the color bike that he is on. Just my two cents... :)

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Commie! Not liking Ricky is just plain UnAmerican.

Don't make me bring out T. :)

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Originally posted by TwinSpar
Hmmm.... Let's see... McGrath's first sponsor: Raceway Honda of Perris, California. But does that matter? NO.

Of course sponsors change with early-stage riders. But it's different to take a champion that got there with somebody else's support. Now, I'm sure Ricky's not the first champion to jump ship. But do others at least have the decency to give their sponsor who got them there at least one season with the #1 plate (or in this case bragging rights)? I know, outdoors he's repeated. But for SX, which like it or not is the main media series, he just got the darn thing.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Don't you think that Kawa would drop him (Ricky) if he suddenly became a serious under-performer? I'll answer that for you... You Bet! It's all about business. I don't think loyalty is a major factor for either side (at the pro level).

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Ricky on red next year seems to have gone far past the rumor stage, and is being accepted as fact.

Geez, the outdoor season hasn't even started yet! This really sucks for Kawasaki. There are two possible sources for the persistant rumors - Ricky and his crew, or Honda. IMO it is inappropriate for either to let this reach the main stream until the outdoor title has been decided, even if the deal has already been signed.

Win or lose, Ricky will be asked about Honda all year long. For me, this puts a cloud over this year's outdoor nationals, and might be a big distraction for RC. :(

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by TwinSpar
Commie! Not liking Ricky is just plain UnAmerican.

Don't make me bring out T. :)

Oooh! Using words like commie make me want to start pummelling again!:p

I can't like Ricky, Dowd's my man!

Montana300

May 4, 2000
I have nothing more than respect for RC, but I too have a hard time rooting for most any pro on a Honda, except for Larocco. Honda just seems to spend so much more, which is not a crime, but I like to root for the other colors. I guess the part that bothers me is the ad campaign I expect to see, "RC wins at race X, his CR is the best MX bike made!" No, he is the best rider, who happens to ride for the highest bidder.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I've also begun to sway LaRocco's way. And as far as privateers go, Heath Voss is the man. Both Honda guys, and I ride a Honda, but I despise team Honda. That and despising Ricky just redoubles my hatred!:p

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
Ditto on despising Team Honda. I raced KXs in the mid 80s when Honda was absolutely dominant and almost all the top riders rode red. (Go Jeff Ward!)

I guess I hate them the same way I hate Notre Dame, the Dallas Cowboys, and the NY Yankees. :p

I hope I didn't offend anyone...

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
If I was RC I wouldn't go to Honda out of spite. I'm sure that Kaw would offer something close. I would want to reward them for their support all of those years. How much money does a guy really need anyway? He already has enough money to retire on and live VERY comfortably forever. I would like to be in a position to tell Honda "I don't care if you give me the whole company, I won't ride for you". That would be great! I've got to find someone else to root for now, maybe Tim Ferry, he deserves some credit, like Larocco.

Top Bottom