wfodbiker

Mar 27, 2001
I had heard that the reason Emig said "You know" so much, was because he had a stuttering problem and saying "you know" let him keep a normal rythmn with his speech patterns. Who knows, maybe it was BS.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i think we should get Mike Tyson to ride the 250 SX series.

"Well Ricky, i love you, and i repect you, but i want to rip open your body and tear out your heart, but its not personal..."

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Emig did have a speech impediment and, after many fumbled podium interviews, had a speech therapist who helped him with his problem. This improved his public speeking 100% but then he wasn't on the podium anymore. Maybe there's a connection. :think: Supercross definately does not have the 'you know' market cornered when it comes to professional athletes. It's difficult to listen to any of them. :confused:

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I was just browsing through Racer X's site and found an article about how dirty Sorby was riding yesterday. They asked Danny Smith what he thought about it and here's what he said (taken from racerxill.com) This guy has a high school diploma?

“I didn’t even know none of that occurred,” Smith said. “It came really from the heat race, but this goes back to last year. I just try to ride my own race, and I’m not one to go out there and take guys down or whatever. It disrupts the flow of the racing, and doesn’t do you no good. But if he wants to get physical like that, that’s fine. We’re all big boys.”

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
I think it's Darcy Lange in arena cross, he sounds like a monotone nascar driver. "The kawasaki, pro circut, did, fox, renthal, scotts, bell,asterix, kx 250 ran strong tonight, blah blah blah. It hurts to listen to him.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
You think these guys are bad listen to some monster truck drivers sometimes. They sound like they just fell off the turnip truck.

Steve

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Being relatively new to the sport, 2 years or so, that was the 1st thing I noticed listening to the sx podium interviews. That and the fact that the riders are so "hell bent" on getting sponsor mention that it's comical. How many times does it need to be said, "my Dunlop's were hooking up great!"? I'd like to hear a rider talk about the race instead of brown-nosing their sponsors.

If it were I up there:
It felt great to get the hole-shot here at Anaheim tonight. The race to the 1st turn was a fierce one but I managed to hold off Ricky and Reed all the way to the whoops. I'm not sure what my position was midway through the race, all I know is that Reed & Ricky were both in front of me. I focused and thought about the cold hard cash I would get if I managed to put my KTM in front of the other bikes so I keep my head down and rode as hard as I could. With 2 laps to go I could see I was making ground and before I knew it I had passed both of them. All I can say is everyone out here gave it their all and I was fortunate to be the one that came out on top. I'd like to take a moment to thank my sponsors. Dunlop for keeping the power to the ground, Oakley for allowing me to see where I was going, Thor for making me look so good and last but not least KTM for giving me Jeremy's old bike when he called it quits.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by TheGrinch
Jeff - You forgot to mention God
Yes I forgot to say it out loud. Everytime I ride I thank God, normally more than once. ;)

Ernie Estes

Dec 14, 2002
You've got to give Emig a break. If you ever see vidio of his first 125 wins, he was a real bad stutterer. It was painful for me to watch, I felt really bad for him. He must have really done some speach theropy work. It couldn't have been easy. He really improved dramaticaly in his career in this area, becomeing much more relaxed in his inteviews.
We're not all born with everything and I believe Jeff workrd very hard for much of what he's got.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I aint no wht ure talking bout.... This topic still drives me nuts!

Here is the one that drives me to drink.....Inserting "UH" before every answer.

B

biglou

Man, I am a habitual "you know" guy. :( And I throw a lot of these: "you know what I mean?" at the end of my sentences. Plus, I can't talk without waving my hands around (gesticulating-love that word-wildly!). Now, when I'm doing me Robert DeNiro impersonation, I just throw this at the end of a sentence-*head tilted slightly sideways, sneering and squinting a bit* "You see what I'm sayin'? You see what I'm sayin'? *pause* You see what I'm sayin'?"

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
Ok guys, the next time you race I'm gonna stick a microphone in your face as soon as you roll off the track and find out what kind of speech you prepared on the white flag lap! I agree that some of these guys are tongue tied and could use a little work, but when you watch other forms of motorsports and sports in general there are only a few really good interviews out there. Not everybody is a John Force or Travis Preston. And as for MC and TP I think they are boring as heck. MC would drone on about himself saying "I mean" every other sentence and Travis needs to get pissed once in awhile, I'm tired of his howdy-doody impression.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I'm sure most of them prepare what they are going to TRY and say before they line up on the start, but I'd have to agree that very few are going to come off as a professional public speaker right after a race. Most of the people on this board, myself included, have a hard time making any since in their posts, even with the chance to re-read the post before hitting the submit button. My backspace button is about worn out. ;) Did I spell that right? :eek:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
This is honestly a direct quote from RC lifted from Supercross.com:

As a lot of you might know, I'm recently married to my long-time girlfriend Ursula. Does it make any difference being single or married? I think not. Ursula is a very special woman.

:eek: ...one fine shining example illustrating Wardy's point. :silly:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Is ursula special?? I know for a fact she is not more special than Villimins girlfriend. She is very special upstairs, if you know what I mean!

VEGTALAM

~SPONSOR~
Jan 26, 2003
WHY DO YOU THINK TRAVIS IS SO POPULAR! FREERIDERS SEEM TO BE CUT A LITTLE MORE SLACK IN THIS AREA THOUGH...I WONDER WHY? COULD YOU IMAGINE LINKOGLE GIVING AN ACCEPTANCE SPEECH? TOO FUNNY!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Originally posted by marcusgunby
Any pics of these special girls?:)

I saw david's girl on the broadcast (no pun intended) of the Geneva supercross. She looked a lot like this girl. Dont worry about the link. She is dressed, just not a lot of extra material on the bathing suit.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Thanks for the heads up.  I couldn't get to it from the office... they have it blocked.   :thumb:

Kirklandrock

Oct 17, 2001
How about "BUBBA"??????? I realize he is young but, his reply to almost every question is "Well Definately" or "Yeah, Definately".... I think he "Definately" needs some of those public speaking classes..... Or maybe a spokesman.......
Jeremy McGrath is "Definately" the most eloquant speaker to have ever graced the podium.......... We'll "Definately" miss him.....

Top Bottom