Has anyone punctures their cooling lines?

bnt5

May 23, 2001
In my ongoing bike search, I have noticed that some 4 strokes have small radiators and cooling lines running through the front of the bike. Has anyone had a tree branch or a stick puncture these lines? I want to get a KLX but I noticed the XR's do not have exposed cooling equipment, is that safer? Dumb question, but I thought I would through it out there...

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
I have had 3 KLX's in the last 5 years and have not had any damaged cooling lines. It would be a freak thing for someone to have a line punctured. It can happen, but it is not very likely. Go for the KLX, it is a better starting point and has a wealth of hopup potential as your skills grow.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I had one of the hoses on my KLX develop a leak at the end. It wasn't a puncture -- it was caused by falling on the water pump side of the bike and stressing the hose. This made it crack just above the clamp/pump outlet. There was enough slack in the hose that I was able to cut it off at the end and re-attach it (later put a new hose on and kept this as spare). Since I always seem to fall or get-off on that side of the bike, I bought a water pump guard and it will never happen again. Plus it makes the bike look racier!

BTW, I got the one from Kawi (K53046-100; see it on www.buykawasaki.com) and am very impressed with its design and fit. I think its better than the one from Stroker and is the same price.

Top Bottom