Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I thinks it's called sooner state?? Off 177?
What's it like?

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Hey, HEY! What are you doing posting in here? Oh, I forgot, you're part of the Heartland Spodes clan now. :p
Welcome home man, enjoy your new stay :thumb:

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I have little experience with it in recent years but here is what I know. Three years ago it had two tracks, a beginner track and a novice and up track. The beginner track had a couple of small high speed doubles, a whoop section and a bunch of step downs. (Not my idea of what you want on a beginner track) The last time I was there it was all one track and it was supposed to be closed but Milk talked to the owner and a few of us Spodes got to ride it un-prepped. It was really rough and slick hard pack but was really long and had a cool design to it. On race days and regular practices it is prepped really well. Just be prepared to roll some of the jumps if you ride like me. It is owned by the same people. (Bakers Boys) that own Motorcycle Raceway in OKC at 59th and Douglas which I prefer because it is a little more mellow. Definitely worth checking out though if you want to try something new.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan
I'm not more than 15 minutes from 59th & Douglas. :(

15 minutes closer to making a woods rider out him! :p :)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i rode at sooner about the same time dwreck did. his assessment is correct. it had one big, fun jump down into a valley but otherwise i didn't care for it. i never went back. i'm sure it's changed alot since then. it is one of the more popular tracks here. hickory ridge off i-40 at warner is running sunday. it's probably the closest thing to a gp track you'll find here. it's a long track with some fast sections. it's my personal favorite but they only run about three times a year. lorin raced there once and liked it and he is about as "woodsy" as you can get.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I rode there in February. They had combined both tracks into one big track. It was a blast. You go back into the woods and have a couple of big valleys that I wasn't sure my TTR would make it back up but I did. It had a couple of rhythm sections and I thought it was well prepped. 

Now that I have had more time on my bike I would love to go back and try it again. Maybe I wouldn't get lapped twice in one moto!!! (OK, so I stopped to help another girl who crashed in a section back in the woods where there were no flaggers. I stayed with her until the medics arrived.)

My oldest son really enjoyed it also.

Susan

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I ride Sooner State Cycle Park at least once a month. I like it alot. All the comments are good. some very nice corners variations, very cool valley sections and some easy and not so easy jumps. the track has an excellant layout, and when prepped is awesome.

The real plus to Sooner state is the RV hook-ups, Mens and Womens restrooms with TWO showers in each, and the trails and woods area is endless. Three fishing ponds, and tons of parking area.

The trade off is the kids track. Their really isn't one to speak of. They do have a very small area for mini's but nothing like cooperland's mini track

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Sooner state is a decent track, with only a few jumps that might cause concern (I didnt jump them). They do have a few miles of some good, fairly high speed woods \ cross country stuff. The track has some fairly long straights and sweeping corners that might remind you of some gp tracks. Pretty fun, although I did spend most of my time in the woods behind the place. The Hickory ridge track that Jay mentioned is a very good track, although a little ways away. The good thing to take away from all of this, is that if you are 15 minutes away from 59th and Douglas, than you are only about 14 minutes from Draper lake trails! The track on 59th is usually a lot of fun, as they spend a lot of time prepping and changing the track layout each month. It can get a little boring riding the same track all year long. They also have quite a few nights during the riding season that you can either race, or practice.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Did someone else say "woods rider"? :p :laugh:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
okie if you are looking for an old school track, burleson tx has what you are after. jumps are singles, no doubles, one big table top, big fun bowl turns. fast and slow sections but nothing scary. they run lots of vintage events there and the uhmm.......older riders are the norm on modern machinery too. the track has been running for 20yrs+.

when you are down visiting thump, you need to give it a try.

for references just ask mx547 and jeff gilbert.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by tx246
okie if you are looking for an old school track, burleson tx has what you are after. jumps are singles, no doubles, one big table top, big fun bowl turns. fast and slow sections but nothing scary. they run lots of vintage events there and the uhmm.......older riders are the norm on modern machinery too. the track has been running for 20yrs+.

when you are down visiting thump, you need to give it a try.

for references just ask mx547 and jeff gilbert.
It is a fun track for sure. Jay wasn't much on it because of the lack of jumps but it is a great place to ride. Camping is available, Tigger & I have gone up on Saturday night and stayed to race the 2nd & 4th Sundays they race. All of the jumps are singles and a quick turn immediately after each one. There is a tabletop that you can hit but your 1st time out you'll probably spend most of your time tring to figure out after which turn it is. There is a huge bowl turn in the back that is a lot of fun but it gets rough back there.

The dirt is sandy loam but exelent hook up, they prep the track very well. Racing usually starts around 9am or so and finished about 2, you'll never experience a more organized race day. As soon as the last person is accross the finish line the next race is under way. It's a very safe track (if you can say that about any track) and the people that ride there are good people. I will warn you that the over 40 class there is probably one of the fastest over 40 classes you'll find anywhere but like all the over 40 classes, this one is the fun class. Give us a shout if you wanna check it out some time, I'll make sure they are running that weekend. Of coarse Thump probably won't ride it, Taraker says he won't ride anywhere but Shiny Grove :p

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
burleson is fun, but jump-free. very good dirt.

here is yours truly at burleson:

Attachments

• burleson.jpg
    burleson.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 29

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Okiewan
Sweet :) Where is this place?
The attatched is very crude.
Burleson MX
Basically travel south I-35. When you get to Denton I-35 splits with I-35 W going to Fort Worth & I-35 E going to Dallas, take I-35 through Fort Worth. After passing throught Fort Worth the next town you come to will be Burleson, take the Alsbury exit and turn left over I-35 (McDonalds is there). Go straight about one block and as you'll be looking at Spinks airport, the road will turn right and go around the airport and then it'll make a 90 to the right, (don't get off this road) as you cross a small bridge about 1 1/2 miles the enterance is a gravel road to the right. There is a small sign you'll miss but the track is way back in the field. Just follow the road to the left. They are racing next weekend if you wanna come. Phone number to the track recorder is (817) 295-1760

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
oh yeah, there are three other great things about burleson mx.

1. race/entry fees are very reasonable.
2. trophy back to sixth place
3. over 30 nov, over 30 int, over 30 expert (see lots of stuff for vets)

jeff, holler if yall are going to go. im itching to ride.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
jeff, holler if yall are going to go. im itching to ride.
I think I will head up this coming weekend if the weather looks okayu, which it does at this point.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
jeff,
just watched the weather and sunday looks bad. 58with rain. i think im gonna try and beat the front and ride on saturday. tony, thump et al are trying to make nocona. sat is supposed to be mid 70s and clear until late.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
jeff,
just watched the weather and sunday looks bad. 58with rain.
I don't get that forcast. The weather channel for FW is not showing cooler weather untill Mon. Does show a 20% rain on Sunday. I'll keep an eye on it, if it looks like it may turn ugly I might meet up with you guys on Sat if I can get away early enough to catch you guys in time.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom